Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

VOX Valvetronix

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by blowtorch, Feb 28, 2013.

1. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    Another frustration with my VT20+ is - unless I am missing something obvious - the headphone out seems weak and to *not* be a true line out with effects, models etc.

The good news is, with the better speaker I am now able to get several actually great-sounding rhythm tones at gig volume without hiss or snare clatter. Played a last-minute St. Paddy's show and just grabbed the Vox.

The bad news is, I am now jonesing for a used AD30 that not only has the tone but the build quality for gigging. It's always something. I just bought a Carvin V16 and it may already be an orphan.

2. PumpJockey

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    Out of curiosity has anyone tried different pre-amp tubes like a 12au7 or 12ay7? Is there any point in an amp like this?

3. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

You can only expect so much of a headphone stage on an amp - they're mostly an afterthought as far as components go. I don't think headphone stages are regarded as line outs. And amps aren't hifi gear, you can't expect them to sound as they would from a hifi amp or receiver.

4. PistonDude

PistonDude TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Anaheim, CA
    I notice that the VT+ seems to get a bad rap. I have had a VT20+ for about 2 years now and I really like it. I use settings for playing Hank Marvin?Shadows and also surf guitar and some blues/blues rock. I use single coil Strats, one with vintage overwound pickups and one with Tex Mex pickups. I havn't noticed the hiss when I have my settings as needed and I do use the Floor pedal also for changing channels. I mostly use reverb, delay, tremolo more than any of the overdrive settings. I have an AC4TV also so I do go back and forth and really do like them. I would like to change the speaker though, what would be a good "neutral" speaker to get if buying a new one?

5. PumpJockey

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    If you are liking your VT20+, more power to you. WGS makes an inexpensive 8" speaker, although it is only rated at 20w so with a VT20+ you may be pushing it. It's a ceramic magnet. Hard to beat at $39.

Eminence 820H is also rated at 20w, as is the Jensen MOD 8". So you may have no choice.

I put an old 60s era CTS 8", 8 ohm, alnico speaker in mine (I had hiss) and it perked the amp right up. Noticeably brighter, so not exactly "neutral".

6. auscaster

auscaster TDPRI Member

Apr 15, 2013
    Australia
    Similar sentiments to many here. I have a AD50VT (from the second gen I believe) and a 20+ but much prefer the AD50. Whilst the 20+ has a lot more settings and sounds and is fun to play around with - also handy being light weight - the AD50 is easier to use and sounds a lot better to my ears. Maybe its the actual valves...

Does anyone know if the AC12 foot switches from the first gen work with the secong gen of amps - the footswitch is about the one drawback on the ad50...

7. PumpJockey

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    Finally got to play an AD version of the Valvetronics line. Yep, better in every way and I was able to dial in all the stored tones I have on my VT20+. The latter is going on the block as soon as I can find a used AD.

8. PumpJockey

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    Supposedly the VFS2 works but not the VFS5, and I have also heard that the Marshall PEDL 10013 Twin Footswitch works. Not confirmed but might be easier to obtain if true.

9. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Mar 12, 2006
    Central New York
    I have the big and awesome VC-12 foot controller to go with my AD60VT.

[​IMG]

I don't think it plays nicely with other generations of Valvetronix amps. This one doubles the memory storage of the amp and uses CAT-5 networking cable to connect to the amp. There's a simpler VC-4 foot controller that may cross generational lines.

10. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Mar 12, 2006
    Central New York

11. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2010
    everett wa
    I have owned a VT30 FOR A YEAR,am amazed at how tube like it sounds,got it for 50 bucks and its all I ever seem to use.Got a adv50vt last month to try one with a 12in and more power.Does not have as many amp models,or a separate reverb control,so dont like it as much.But the Vox models are really nice on this with the 12in,nice fat clean sounds.Need to try it with a good OD pedal still.

12. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Jan 3, 2011
    Texas
    I've had a VT15 for about 3 years. I really like that little amp. I never use the preset models, instead I run the amp in manual mode and select whatever flavor I'm in the mood for. I really like the Vox and Fender models and the UK 80's model.

I've often thought about trying to find one of the older ones; the ones with the blue grill cloth. I think those look much cooler than the metal grill cloth I have on mine. By all accounts, they sound even better too.

13. jefftx1000

jefftx1000 TDPRI Member

Nov 30, 2011
    pt o'connor, tx
    Well I have a AD15VT its goin on 8years old , went a lil nuts last year and cut of the Bottom half and made it into a head and added a 1/4" jack and now i use with a 4x8 cab i found and sounds lots better than when it just had the 1 driver.

14. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Holic

Jan 30, 2010
    Up The Creek
    Just put an 8 ohm 50 watt Weber 8F150 in the amp. Then mount a second speaker jack on the back panel, and wire it to be parallel with the internal speaker. Then plug in to an 8 ohm cab of your choice and have a 4 ohm load with both external and internal speakers working together. When you don't have a cab, the amp will be fine driving an 8 ohm speaker. And these speakers sound awesome in these amps, very neutral and smooth.

If you are uncomfortable with the 8 ohm internal, then use a 4 ohm speaker inside, and wire the jack as a "shorting jack" or a "switching jack" that cuts off the internal speaker when you plug in to a cab.

This way you don't have to do any wire cutting or make any electronics mods.

15. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    The headphone out on these things is actually a line-out for recording, which means there's not enough volts behind it to drive studio headphones, may drive consumer headphones better but still weak.

I run the line-out into another amp (clean and neutral) with a proper headphone output level. Now I do not have to crank the AD30VT to the max just to hear it in the cans.

16. jefrs

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    The circuit diagram for the AD15VT and AD30VT shows 8-in and 10-in respectively, 8ohm speakers. (the VT- series use a 4ohm speaker)

And one side of the speaker is grounded to the chassis on the AD15VT and AD30VT
    *warning* - I have no idea if VT- series do the same.

So no, you do not need an insulated jack socket for an ext cab socket on the AD15VT and the AD30VT when connecting in parallel to the internal speaker.
    However you must not use a shorting jack socket like the one on a tele.

However, I would be inclined to use a plastic-body insulated socket for this job. It /should/ be possible to drop to a 4ohm load (parallel 8ohm speakers) on the AD15VT and AD30VT because their output chips allow this.
    BUT - Caveat Emptor &c - I cannot guarantee this will not harm.

Re the Valvetronix valve - this is used 'starved-plate' (running at low voltage) in the modelling section. It is not used for amplification. It can affect the 'gain' but valve type probably doesn't matter. No tube rolling needed here.
    Besides, it is a complete PITA to get at to swap out, totally inaccessible.

17. jefrs

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    Have you actually done this?

If so then is that on the 4ohm load VT- series or 8ohm load AD-VT series?

18. Spike55

Spike55 TDPRI Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Spartanburg SC
    I have a ad60vtx blue front and the vc12 controller, I bought it used a couple of weeks ago, and just love it, I have a vt15, tried the new vt+ in several sizes, was not impressed. I knew from experience a friend had with his the ad60vtx would be just right for me. I have 4 banks of 32 presets to choose from, I have only tweeked 3 to my personal favorites so far, most likely will only use 8-10 total presets for my use.
    It has the good speaker, and a real plywood cabinet, the VTX was in my opinion the best of all the modeling amps even today 6-7 years later, Vox took features out to get the price point down to compete with line 6 and such. If the amp had continued to advance it would be really great by now!! I bought mine from a craigslist seller drove 50 miles to get it and best of all, got the amp and pedal for a total of $275.00, yes!! The pedal list for $349 by itself now, it is the same as the new pro 150 Vox amp, just not in silver.

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco

20. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Mar 12, 2006
    Central New York
    As a proud AD60VT+VC12 owner myself, I agree! It's an awesome amp that outshines its children. I've noticed that sometimes manufacturers throw everything into first generation new technologies, then start removing features in subsequent versions (for business or practical reasons).

I bought a 14-inch Sony Trinitron TV back in 1988 that had every conceivable (in 1988) input and output jack on it. FOURTEEN INCHES! This was at the dawn of the "Home Theater" era. Within a few years, they'd removed most of those ins and outs from their "regular" TVs, putting them only on their high-end home theater models. I cherished that little Trinitron! (It had an audio out jack to go to my stereo.)

So, the evolution of the Valvetronix line is not necessarily about achieving modeling perfection, but about selling more amps. Simpler controls, with the most popular features, have been the hallmark of each subsequent VT iteration. And maybe that's the way it should be.

Here's the mother of all articles on the first generation Valvetronix amps, like ours. Enjoy!

http://www.amptone.com/voxvalvetronix.htm

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.