Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

VOX Valvetronix

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by blowtorch, Feb 28, 2013.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Just wanted to say what an enthusiastic supporter I am of the old AD**VT series, and also how much the new "+" series really suck. What a shame the dip the Valvetronix amps have taken.

2. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 8, 2009
    Horsham, UK
    l'll second the support for the old ADxxVT series - certainly my AD30VT has some great tones, and with the variable power is superb for late night noodling.

Dunno about the newer ones - never tried them, but they do seem just to have added a ton more crazy distortion sounds which I'd never really use.

3. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Jimclarke100 I've got both the AD30VT and the AD50VT, use the 30 for rehearsals and the 50 for gigs but the 30 could handle the stage just fine, if I chose. I've had the 50 for years, one night some idiot dumped a beer into it, I thought he'd killed it,I took it home and dried it out and the next day it sounded fine.

I've owned two VT40+s and they both died in short order.

4. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    +2 on the AD30VT. I really love it, though I am interested in hearing any of your speaker replacement options. I'd love to cram a 12" in there, but I don't believe that'd be prudent. ;)

5. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Feb 13, 2007
    Park Island
    I have a VT30, which I believe came after the ADXXVT series. Also pretty good sounding (to my undiscerning ears). What went wrong with the "+" series? I didn't know there had been issues?

6. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Gibson, the "+" (should be called the "-" series in my opinion) is notorious for a "snare hiss" noise that the normal known fixes couldn't correct. And as I said, in my personal experience they are totally unreliable

7. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    Have a VT20+ which I was given after my VT15 died after a week. Straight swap from the dealer with apologies. Great... but the VT15 was easier to use, had fewer annoying high gain models and sounded better over all.

While I have had a lot of fun with the 20+, the speaker hiss really begins to grate on you after a while, especially if, like me, you play a lot of trebly rhythm stuff.

I'd love to know if anyone has done a speaker swap - not that 8" 4 ohm speakers are all that plentiful. And since they didn't wire in an external cabinet jack, you are kind of stuck with whatever is in the cab. There has been some forum activity about using a beam blocker, but not sure that works.

If a Jensen CR8 sounds noticeably better, for $35 I'd do it.

Anyone tried it?

8. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Mar 12, 2006
    Central New York
    I'll give a shout-out to the first-generation AD60VT and AD120VT. I have the 60 (with the awesome VC12 foot controller) and it's a killer modeleing amp. They simplified the selections for the second-generation line (AD15VT, AD30VT, AD50VT, & AD100VT).

9. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2006
    Framingham, MA
    I didn't realize the + series was below par. Never tried one. However, I still have an old AD60VTH head that I bought a long time ago, and that thing is great. I played it for years in a Beatles cover band and everyone loved how it sounded. In the band I'm in now I'm using a Fender amp, but I've recently been thinking about getting the Vox out of storage - this thread might be the thing that tips the balance.

10. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I have had the AD15VT for almost a couple years. I got it used for $75 in good shape. It's a terrific little home practice amp. I got plenty of good tube sounding tones and had enough on board effects to keep me happy for home use.

I'd jam along with my own jam tracks created with Band in a Box software. I'd crank up my computer speakers and play right along. It's perfect for that and nice and light to carry around. I needed a home practice bass amp so I traded it straight across for a 1994 Peavey Minx 110.

I'd be happy to find another one at the same price.

11. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2010
    tucson, az
    the early AD series had problems with cold solders but that's long been taken care of. . .otherwise they are terrific amps.

but the VT and VT+ series noise issues is not fun at all. however, I do love the weight and wattage ratio of the VT80+ . . . I won't own one until the noise problem is corrected, but if they ever do. .

12. teleprompted

teleprompted Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2012
    toronto
    My first amp was a ad15 valvetronix. Upgraded to a tube amp now but I still have it and play it once and a while. Great little amp. Always surprised me how loud it could be. Neverliked the higher gain models like 70, 80's, or numetal. I usually kept it on the tweed or black 2x12 with great results

13. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2012
    Rocky Mount, NC
    "If a Jensen CR8 sounds noticeably better, for $35 I'd do it. Anyone tried it?"

I put a 10" Fender speaker in an DA 15 after cutting the baffle hole bigger. Despite the issue that the Fender speaker was an 8 ohm and the stock speaker was a 4 ohm, it was still louder and better sounding than the stock 8"

So after I traded away the Vox DA I got a used Peavey Vypyr 15, pulled the stock baffle with an 8" 4 ohm and replaced it with a Jensen Mod 10" 4 ohm. Big improvement in volume and tone. There is a 4-5 dB increase between a stock Vox modeling speaker and a Jensen Mod--a difference you can really hear.

When you replace the speaker in a modeling amp get a relatively neutral speaker. The first speaker I used in the upgraded Vypyr was a 4 ohm Celestion V-10. It sucked the Fender out of the Fender models. The vintage Jensen reissues won't sound that good with the British amp models. I picked the Jensen Mod because it is more of a neutral speaker.

14. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2008
    Louisiana, USA
    The "+" is really a cool sounding amp... when you can get the snare hiss to go away!

I love mine, but I have to dial everything way back to make the hiss go away, so it is a really low level practice only amp.

I love Vox... disappointed somewhat with this one though!

15. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    That is the sort of info that is very helpful. I have a watch on eBay for a Celestion H8-1240 that I may pull the trigger on. As far as "neutral", I have an old (non-functioning) Sano accordion amp from the 60s that includes a pair of CTS 8" speakers. They are 8 ohm, however, but perhaps one of them is worth a try. The magnets on those suckers may double the weight of the amp! :D

EDIT: My bad. A quick check of the speaker codes indicates that one of the 8" is a CTS, the other is a Utah.

16. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    A 12-in will not fit :cry:

But the 10-in Celestion G10-30 Greenback does :D

At £120-ish the AD30VT was never going to have a good speaker, the Vox/Wharfedale GSH10-30 8ohm was better than perhaps most cheapo OEM jobs. But the excellent 10-in Greenback thinks is it a 12-in speaker, quite awesome.

And yes! - the AD30VT can gig

17. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England

This is one of the main differences between the VT+ series and the AD-VT models. The VT+ use essentially the same amplifier but dropped from 8ohm to 4ohm speaker to get more power out of it.
    This is perhaps not a good idea. Bad move Vox, your 30W amp may now be 40W but it's now on its design limit and sounds shyte.

The "cold solder joint" problems are an artefact of using lead-free in production, it is notoriously difficult stuff to use. Fortunately faults show up early.

More models on the later Valvetronix but the AD-VT already has too many knobs. The new added models are really just in-between positions which they've enabled, the switches are really pots (which are used as rotary switches).

Only two memory stores, but these allow it to be used used as a 2-channel amp on the f/s (diy jobbie). Pick your clean and dirty and away you go. More stores not needed.

18. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2012
    Rocky Mount, NC
    I forgot to mention when I squeezed a 10" speaker into the Vox DA 15 that the top of the speaker cutout has to be flattened to work. I used four holes for speaker mounting.

19. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Thanks! Yeah, I know that's the one I need, though it's a bit pricey. Someone else here recommended the Eminence Ramrod, but no one claims that it 'thinks it's a 12"'... which is exactly what I want.

20. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 8, 2009
    Horsham, UK
    One of the "round to it" ideas I have is to install a simple bypass jack into the o/p of my AD30VT. I like it as it is for portability, but that simple mod would give the option to plug in to other cabs. I have a couple of 12" speakers in cabs that might be fun to try - a Fane lead and a jensen C12Q. 4 x 12 Marshall anyone?

By the way does anyone know where I can get a job lot of round tuits cheap?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.