Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Hiker

Hiker Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2008
    Been exploring Jazz settings on my Pathfinder 15R, some on Tele, and some on Ibanez semi-hollow.

2. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

I've had the Weber Alnico Blue Pup 8" in since last week and, overall, it's been a very positive experience. This is even considering that when you make a speaker change, it's almost like relearning how to use the amp. A lot of the "rules" that applied to my stock Pathfinder 15 simply don't apply anymore.

The Weber I put in is designed to offer a "British" voicing with chime, so it really hasn't changed any of the things that I liked about the amp before. The two things I notice the most that are improved are the transition from clean to dirty and a noticeable increase in the fullness of the amp and just how well it handles the bass frequencies, generally. It's not a perfect marriage...there is some minor rattling that goes on the chassis with some of the bassier notes.

The best way I could describe the Pathfinder 15 to someone who hadn't used it is that it's an amp that produces tube-like sounds while still harboring some of the limitations and behavior of a solid-state amp. The Weber speaker mitigates the latter part of that, and I feel more free to work a wider range of the controls. This is particularly true of the EQ knobs - I can set the bass a lot higher without the speaker freaking out. It's still not an amp you can use at any setting. I don't think I ever have the volume above 12:00. By contrast, my venerable Marshall Lead 12 (another freak-of-nature solid state combo) almost begs to be cranked...and its 10" speaker never sounds like it's being at all stressed by what the preamp is throwing at it.

This probably isn't an upgrade I'd recommend for everyone - the price of the Weber was probably about 75% of what I paid for the whole amp (used). But that speaks as much to what a great deal these little "practice" amps are. You could leave the stock Bulldog in and enjoy the amp TONS, just as I did for nearly 5 years. But if you're considering the Weber Alnico Blue Pup, I agree with those who say that it makes the amp even better (without the more dramatic mods such as hacking into the preamp section or routing it for a 10" speaker). This was a 10-15 minute installation with a wrench and a cordless drill.

3. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Meister

May 28, 2008
    did your pathfinder have the led mod?
    i mean to have read that this would keep the amp cleaner at higher gain?

4. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 8, 2011
    Pensacola, Florida
    pathfinder.jpeg NAD for me! I can't believe this showed up at my local guitar store and not a bad price either.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    LGOberean, younkint and Brendan like this.

5. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Congrats! I'm a little jealous! :D (Okay, maybe more than a little...:oops:)

Oh, and although I posted this over in your thread in Amp Central Station, it certainly is applicable here, too...

6. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    Here is mine little baby, it's a Pathfinder 10, i took off the head and from an old crappy amp cabinet that i had and put an Eminence gbl 128, now it sounds just great.
    Very light, a lot of volume for a 10 watt, the speaker upgrade it's a must.

Attached Files:

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Here are the two I was referring dead stock, and the other a custom made cab, fitted with a 12" speaker. 063.JPG 068.JPG
    Mr Scallywag and edchavez like this.

8. InAbsentia

InAbsentia TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Southwest PA
    Decided to try a speaker swap myself. Got a great deal from Weber on an Alnico Sig8s. Popped it in there and wow, it's actually a pretty incredible difference. Like @StormJH1 said above, it gives you much more use of the EQ. I have been playing mine with the bass around 2-3 o'clock, treble at noon, volume cranked and gain right before it starts to break up. The weber added some great chime to it, and cranked up the speaker will start to compress and just sounds great.

The stock speaker was awesome in this amp, but man that Weber Sig 8S just is amazing with it. Sounds like a 10" more than an 8".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.