Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Been exploring Jazz settings on my Pathfinder 15R, some on Tele, and some on Ibanez semi-hollow.

2. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

I've had the Weber Alnico Blue Pup 8" in since last week and, overall, it's been a very positive experience. This is even considering that when you make a speaker change, it's almost like relearning how to use the amp. A lot of the "rules" that applied to my stock Pathfinder 15 simply don't apply anymore.

The Weber I put in is designed to offer a "British" voicing with chime, so it really hasn't changed any of the things that I liked about the amp before. The two things I notice the most that are improved are the transition from clean to dirty and a noticeable increase in the fullness of the amp and just how well it handles the bass frequencies, generally. It's not a perfect marriage...there is some minor rattling that goes on the chassis with some of the bassier notes.

The best way I could describe the Pathfinder 15 to someone who hadn't used it is that it's an amp that produces tube-like sounds while still harboring some of the limitations and behavior of a solid-state amp. The Weber speaker mitigates the latter part of that, and I feel more free to work a wider range of the controls. This is particularly true of the EQ knobs - I can set the bass a lot higher without the speaker freaking out. It's still not an amp you can use at any setting. I don't think I ever have the volume above 12:00. By contrast, my venerable Marshall Lead 12 (another freak-of-nature solid state combo) almost begs to be cranked...and its 10" speaker never sounds like it's being at all stressed by what the preamp is throwing at it.

This probably isn't an upgrade I'd recommend for everyone - the price of the Weber was probably about 75% of what I paid for the whole amp (used). But that speaks as much to what a great deal these little "practice" amps are. You could leave the stock Bulldog in and enjoy the amp TONS, just as I did for nearly 5 years. But if you're considering the Weber Alnico Blue Pup, I agree with those who say that it makes the amp even better (without the more dramatic mods such as hacking into the preamp section or routing it for a 10" speaker). This was a 10-15 minute installation with a wrench and a cordless drill.

3. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    did your pathfinder have the led mod?
    i mean to have read that this would keep the amp cleaner at higher gain?

4. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 8, 2011
    Pensacola, Florida
    pathfinder.jpeg NAD for me! I can't believe this showed up at my local guitar store and not a bad price either.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  5. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Congrats! I'm a little jealous! :D (Okay, maybe more than a little...:oops:)

Oh, and although I posted this over in your thread in Amp Central Station, it certainly is applicable here, too...

6. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    Here is mine little baby, it's a Pathfinder 10, i took off the head and from an old crappy amp cabinet that i had and put an Eminence gbl 128, now it sounds just great.
    Very light, a lot of volume for a 10 watt, the speaker upgrade it's a must.

Attached Files:

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Here are the two I was referring to.....one dead stock, and the other a custom made cab, fitted with a 12" speaker. 063.JPG 068.JPG

Mr Scallywag and edchavez like this.
  8. InAbsentia

InAbsentia TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Southwest PA
    Decided to try a speaker swap myself. Got a great deal from Weber on an Alnico Sig8s. Popped it in there and wow, it's actually a pretty incredible difference. Like @StormJH1 said above, it gives you much more use of the EQ. I have been playing mine with the bass around 2-3 o'clock, treble at noon, volume cranked and gain right before it starts to break up. The weber added some great chime to it, and cranked up the speaker will start to compress and just sounds great.

The stock speaker was awesome in this amp, but man that Weber Sig 8S just is amazing with it. Sounds like a 10" more than an 8".

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. TBOT

TBOT TDPRI Member

Apr 19, 2016
    USA
    I think I finally found my settings!

Bridge Pickup - If you have a tone pot assigned to it, turn it all the way bright and trebly!

Boost Off

Gain - Noon
    Volume - 3:00
    Treble - 9:00
    Bass - 3:00
    Tremolo Speed - Noon
    Tremolo Depth - Noon
    Reverb - 3:00

Use Guitar Volume to Taste

Hiker likes this.
  10. edchavez

edchavez Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2011
    Arkansas
    I just tried these settings and, yes, sounds great! Thanks!

TBOT likes this.
  11. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    [​IMG]

EDIT: I tried it too, with 3 of my teles. I was going to try it with my 4th tele, but when I tried to plug in I had a problem with the jack cup and couldn't connect. But I did get to compare this with two different brands of tele bridge pickup, a Bill Lawrence Keystone and a DiMarzio Twang King. No appreciable difference between the two. I also tried it with a P-90 (neck position), that drove it a bit too hard and sounded muddy to my ears.

I wouldn't use those settings that much, but it's nice to experiment with settings, isn't it? I did find it less harsh to my ears when I backed the Volume down from 3 o'clock to noon.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    TBOT and edchavez like this.
  12. edchavez

edchavez Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2011
    Arkansas
    Yeah it's pretty fun to mess around with the settings. I found it too muddy with my tele neck pickup also, sounds best with the bridge. I'll have to try it with the bass backed off and treble bumped up some.

13. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Awesome - glad you also had a good result with the swap. I think in my case, it was a pretty dramatic improvement in terms of handling lower frequencies and overall quality of sound, but I was actually relieved that it didn't completely make the amp into something completely different. The stock speaker and amp were really good stock, this just gives a bit more. I've also been using the amp as a pedal platform and it's handling non-Vox type sounds more easily now.

As for your 10" vs. 8" comment, I agree. I was tempted for a bit to try a 10" mod, but having heard what it sounds like with THIS 8" in there, I'm glad I didn't hack it up. I have a Katana 100 in the basement if I ever need to sound big and loud, but the Pathfinder I use upstairs in an office or bedroom offers plenty at a reasonable volume.

InAbsentia likes this.
  14. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I've never been tempted to do a speaker swap myself. I love the PF15R as is, and so all three of mine are bone stock. Whenever one Pathfinder wasn't sufficient to carry the room, I've played through two of them via an ABY box, or gone from the Line Out on the rear panel to a channel on the PA. Hearing that amp through the mains sounded really good to me. One thing I haven't done that I'd like to is send the signal to an extension speaker. I don't have any cabs; all my amps are combos. But the speakers I used in that aforementioned PA were Peavey PR12s. So in that sense I have heard my Pathfinders through 12" speakers.

Lately I've been intrigued by...Oh, alright, I'll admit it, I've been GASing for the Vox MV50, the AC version. Though the mini head is just $200, mundane but more necessary things have kept coming up, preventing me from spending the $$$ on the MV50. Even more so, because without cabs, that factors into the expense of the MV50. I could get the package deal of the MV50 + the Vox BC108 (1x8") cab for just $280. But that cab is 8Ω, and therefore would yield just 25 watts of the 50. Plus, I'd like to have a 1x12" cab, or maybe even a 2x12" not only for the MV50, but as an extension speaker option for my Pathfinders as well.

15. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2016
    Australia
    Anyone got any idea of the 15 speaker's actual wattage? I've converted a broken one into a cab but don't want to blow anything up.

16. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I wish I could tell ya. I've checked the label on the speakers of my PF15Rs, but no information is given regarding ohms or power rating. The manual states that for the PF15(R) the output power is "15 watts into 8 Ohms," and as for the speaker it says nothing beyond "Vox Bulldog (8", 8 Ohm)." From the Vox Showroom web page "A Look 'Under the Hood'" (http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/p15r_hood.html), the following info is given regarding the amp's wattage output:

So I've yet to find a definitive statement for the power rating of the Vox Bulldog 8" speaker. Given all that we do know, I have to believe that the assumption of 15 watts is a good assumption, but again, that's not a definitive word.

17. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 26, 2008
    Albuquerque
    My wife has one and gets an incredible sound with no pedals. She plays her Silverstone 1454 through it.
    Here she is finger picking.
    (FYI, this was recorded from Line Out, no speaker.)

18. john_humphrey79

john_humphrey79 TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Louisiana
    Man that is a great sounding song! I had the small pathfinder and i didnt like it very much so I put it towards a Bassbreaker 15. I'll have to look at the 15 now as it sounds really good in this song. Thanks for the share.

Martin R and nojazzhere like this.
  19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I would say, personally, the PF10 is like night and day to the PF15R.....especially if you do like I did and put it (PF15R) in a cab with a 12" speaker. Unbelievable how much punch and bottom it has! Plus...great tremolo and real spring reverb....

Martin R likes this.
  20. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 26, 2008
    Albuquerque
    We have the 15R, actually two of them.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.