Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA

2. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Meister

May 28, 2008
    maybe someone can give me some advise on this problem.
    have a pathfinder 15 (no reverb) V9158 that i like a lot.
    but is has a nasty hiss.

strange is that when volume (and gain) on 0 it is quiet but when turning the volume slightly suddenly there is hiss (when a guitar plugged in the same happens with the sound.)

turning gain does more than volume.
    but hiss is there already on low volume
    all the other pots don't influence the hiss, only the gain a little
    when boost engaged gain has more effect, when turned up its changing to a kind off hum to.
    grounded socket ore not, makes no difference, headphone has the same result

so where do i look?
    could it be the volume pot?
    also i can't find a readable diagram, the one i found is blurred to much, only can find a 15r diagram
    hope you could give me some help in this

3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    Interesting comments about the Pathfinder versus other amps
    I have a stock Pathfinder 15r that is really turned out to be my main amp for most of my gigs as I just play smaller restaurants and bars
    My pathfinder actually has the blue celestion/Vox 8in speaker that used to be in a Cambridge 15 that never worked well
    I happen to run my Pathfinder with the boost off, gain at 11 and volume about
    2 clock position.
    I always have an overdrive pedal ON, all control set at noon, and then I just ride my guitars volume control for everything it's a great simple setup
    Having the overdrive pedal on all the time, pretty much doubles my amps volume
    It handles base fine and how that little 8in speaker hasn't blown yet is beyond me I do have a backup
    Sorry this is voice activated I'm an Uber driver!
    Felino and StormJH1 like this.

4. alexpigment

alexpigment Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2008
    Austin TX
    Checking back in to this owners club. I've owned 4 pathfinders over the years and currently own two (a brown-cloth 15r and a black-cloth 15 non-r).

Today I saw a beautiful looking Pathfinder mini stack (2x10) at a pawn shop. The price was a little higher than I wanted to pay, but it looked cool and seemingly had the same great tone I was used to, so I bought it. Once I set it up at home, I realized that my previous amp settings no longer worked at all. Secondly, I noticed that this amp sounds dull/distant when not directly in front of it (I commonly play off-axis or perpendicular). I suppose that's the closed-back nature of it coming into play. The sad thing is that it sounds too aggressive and biting when right in front of it, so it's a no-win situation. I think I'm going to have to take it back for a refund.

And I guess on a more prescriptive note, be aware that a lot of the charm of the Pathfinder 15 combo comes from the 8" speaker and the open back of the amp. This 2x10 is an entirely different beast, and I feel pretty strongly that we wouldn't have a 153-page owners club if it were the only model. YMMV.

(Also, I should mention that I've owned several more expensive tube amps over the years, but the Pathfinder has been my main amp since 2008. Still very much in the club :) )

5. InAbsentia

InAbsentia TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Southwest PA
    The other day I was bored, so I pulled out my Joyo AC tone, and was playing the main riff from Running Down a Dream. Tried it through three of my amps - Bugera v5 into a 112 with an eminence texas heat, Super Champ x2 into a 112 with an eminence wizard, and into the pathfinder 15 non-r stock speaker. Pathfinder crushed them both, sounded almost exactly like the tone on the record. Such a great little amp, I record with it more than my halfstacks and other amps a lot of the time. It just sounds great.

6. rickslick11

rickslick11 TDPRI Member

Jan 15, 2011
    I just saw a Vox pathfinder head and 2x10 cab at one my local stores what do these typically go for nowadays

7. Grodad

Grodad TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Is $113 usd a good price for a pathfinder 15r ? There is one on Ebay here in Australia for $150 aud, factor in shipping at $35 ($25 usd). They don’t come up often but for not much more there are other options (eg the new mv50 or av15). Not sure whether to go for this or not. Hype worth it?
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017

8. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Is $113 a "good price"? I would say "Yes." Is it "worth it"? I would say "It depends." Ultimately, that's your judgement call. Here are the disadvantages and advantages as I see it...

CONS: It's not the amp most would choose for hard rock or metal. It's loud enough for gigging if the venue is small and quiet. If the Pathfinder model you're looking at is a 15R, the reverb is nice to have on the amp, but it's weak (small tank). The "Boost" switch is tricky to work with mid song; there's a substantial volume disparity.

PROS: This amp gives you sweet, warm tones, nice Vox chime and crunch. Other than metal, it's good for a variety of musical genres; it's a pretty versatile amp. You can gig with it in a variety of situations. Certainly small and quiet venues, like I said, but even on its own it's loud enough to do a bit more. And of course, you can mic it. Or better still, Line Out from the rear panel to the PA, then point the PF15R towards you, like a monitor. I've done both, and used the Pathfinder to play to audiences of up to 200. The reverb is weak because of the small tank, but it is real spring reverb. I usually play with the reverb set to noon or more. The tremolo is a nice effect too. You can adjust the speed and depth from just a very mild touch to add a hint of depth to your sound, or you can go "Crimson & Clover" with it. It's quiet enough for home use, but there is also a headphone out on the rear panel. And it has an extension speaker out as well. As for the Boost switch, rather than seeing it as a two channel Clean/Drive thing, I treat it like it's two amps in one.

Obviously, I see a lot more pros than cons to this amp. I own three of them, in fact. After buying the first one used in a pawn shop for $40, I determined I wanted a second one, and found one in absolutely perfect condition for cheap (damaged box sale, but the amp inside was untouched). Then, in 2013, when it was discontinued, I bought one more, full price at the time, $119. I just want to have this amp in my arsenal for the rest of my days. So knowing what I know now, if I didn't have one, I would snatch one up for $113, if it was in good working order, of course.
    younkint and SolidSteak like this.

9. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    I'd say $113USD is a small price to pay to check it out... if it turns out you don't like it, you could put it back up on Ebay for the same amount easily I would assume.

I had one I bought when they were blowing them out around $90 brand new several years ago. I really dug it but I have 4 small amps like that so I gave mine to a friend who had zero amps. It sounded especially amazing with my strat.
    Grodad likes this.

10. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I meant to comment on those "other options" as well, particularly the Vox MV50. I must admit, I'm GASing over this one. I haven't played through one yet, so I'm only going on demo/review videos, but I really like what I'm hearing, especially the AC version. At $200, the price of the amp is really good, but of course that presupposes that you already have a cab to run it through. Otherwise you're looking at significantly more money than the price of a used PF15R. And you'd have to add to that the price of pedals for reverb and tremolo, in order to compare apples to apples.
    Grodad likes this.

11. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2013
    Luna Louisiana
    36F102C8-EB0E-4C99-9FBB-B1715E7C8E47.png CE4DA90A-FE9E-43FA-9AD8-A56091E14001.png Joined the club yesterday. Pathfinder 10. Gonna find out what everyone is talking about.

12. J-Flanders

J-Flanders TDPRI Member

Aug 4, 2016
    'Everyone' is talking about the 15, not the 10.
    Everyone here (or just about) does not like the 10 and adores the 15.
    I owned both, I very much disliked the 15 for several reasons and I still adore and play my 10 everyday. It's modded though (not the LED mod) and I also built an extension cab with a Celestion Eight 15 speaker for it, but still prefer the little built in speaker.
    The circuit is different, the speaker is different, I doubt you can like them both.
    I wonder if a separate thread for the pf10 would be justified or accepted.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

13. Kimbarafuzz

Kimbarafuzz TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2016
    You're right, different amps, i owned both too an like the 10 for jazz or with pedals (delay, overdrive..) for rock, blues, surf .. even for recording.
    But the 15 is easy to play for a lazy guy like me.. just the guitar an the amp, great with a telecaster . Easy to get a perfect overdrive sound.
    Trémolo is great .

The 10 is very cute also

14. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2013
    Luna Louisiana
    The pf10 has some good sounds in it but I guess I need a 15r. However my strat an I had a good time with this little amp.

15. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I've only had two encounters with the Pathfinder 10. The first was half a dozen years ago, give or take. I was spending time with my wife just doing something she likes to do: going to resale shops. At one of them, they had a PF10. Since I wasn't on a guitar hunt, I didn't have one of my guitars with me. So I tried out the thing with the only electric guitar available, a very cheap Chinese thing. It sounded terrible. It was a bad first impression, and for a long time my only experience with the 10.

Then about a year ago, my granddaughter wanted to take up the guitar. Her parents bought her an entry level Epiphone LP. I then took her to the local GC to try out amps. Among others we plugged into a Pathfinder 10 with the Union Jack grill cloth. I was pleasantly surprised that it sounded as good as it did. Still not like the 15R, but much better than I remembered of that first impression.

For an at home practice amp, it might be okay, but I'd miss the reverb and tremolo too much.

16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    This thread started in 2009, and I don't have time to go back and read every post.....but the reason it's pertinent to me right now is, I've owned and played PF 15R's for a number of years after playing Fenders for decades. I currently have one fully stock 15R in showroom condition, and one 15R in a professionally made custom cabinet with a 12" speaker. The 12" version is the one I've gigged with, and it hangs with a band, including loud drums and bass, and another guitarist who uses an AC15. As good as these amps sound, lately I've missed my Fenders. (which I had sold because I got offered "stupid" money that I couldn't turn down) I just bought a Blues Junior III, and it sure scratches the Fender "itch". The only problem is, I have had both PF 15Rs advertised for sale, at reasonable prices, for several weeks, with only one (low-ball flake) response. I realize these are slightly "niche" cult-type amps, but I expected more interest than I've received. Does anyone have any thoughts? Both amps are pristine and work perfectly. (although one wouldn't know how good they sound without seeing them) The ads have well written text and clear, sharp pictures. While PF 15Rs are well liked and respected among many, is the market just saturated with high-quality practice amps that can be gigged with? Do too many people just not have even a little money to spend on a little amp? I welcome any suggestions.
    P.S. I'm not going to just give them away. While I understand something is only worth what someone will pay for it.....I also know what my intrinsic value is.

17. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    You didn't say what you are asking for your PF15R, but when I have seen them for sale they seem to go if priced about $50 or less, maybe as much as $60, but if more than that, they seem to stay on the market.

18. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    When I want to get a sense of how readily available a used amp is on the market, I check eBay “Sold Listings” and

Just ran a search on the Vox Pathfinder 15R sold listings on eBay. Excluding eBay international sellers, “As Is” condition and chassis only auctions, there were 9 PF15Rs that sold on eBay from 11/20/17 – 02/05/18. Sale prices ranged from $120 - $188. (These numbers do not include the shipping charges, which ranged from $26 - $59.) The average price of these 9 were $150.33.

There were 4 auctions for PF15Rs currently running, 1 currently with 11 bids at $49.30, 1 with an asking price of $215, and 2 at $159 and $160 OBO. One was pickup only, and the others were plus shipping.’s Price Guide lists the estimated used value of the PF15R from $75-$175.

As for why yours aren’t selling, I guess any number of variables could be in play here. The Pathfinder 15R has been discontinued for 5 years as of last month. I would guess that guitar players looking for a low wattage amp with a small footprint are not looking towards the discontinued/used options but are instead being steered in the direction of current digital offerings.

I have 3 of the 15Rs, and I have no plans to ever sell mine. Indeed, I bought three of them because I wanted to ensure that I will always have one of these in my arsenal of amps. Knowing them like I do now, if I were suddenly deprived of them, I would search the used market high and low and buy another. If I found one in perfect working order in even moderately good cosmetic condition priced at what they used to sell for new ($120), I wouldn’t hesitate to snap it up.

Hope all of that helps.
    nojazzhere and younkint like this.

19. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Checking back in here because I finally decided to buy a Weber Alnico Blue Pup 8 to try in my Pathfinder ( I've kicked around a speaker swap with this amp almost since the day I bought it, and that's despite the fact that it's generally been one of my favorite amps to play and super-versatile with pedals for purposes that extend well beyond "Vox chime".

I did a bunch of research over a decade of anecdotal posts about the Pathfinder and people who had tried the Weber Alnico Blue Pup 8. While not everyone agreed, it seemed like the consensus was pretty strong in favor of this particular speaker "improving" the overall tone. For people who had tried the Celestion Eight 15 or just "any" 8" replacement they could find, about 50% or more of them actually preferred the stock Bulldog speaker. The Weber results seemed more favorable, though there was the classic debate between alnico and ceramic.

I went with the alnico version because I know that is affiliated with the classic AC30 sound, and I was just really curious what it would sound like. I guess if nothing else, it would sound "different", and I'd have a choice between putting the stock back in or the new sound. I saw a lot of people indicating that the ceramic actually had more low end, and a more abrasive high end, so I do worry about losing the "chime" of the Pathfinder. But I have to think that Vox preamp + good Alnico speaker has at least a passable chance of producing good results.

I'm not mentioning the final point, which is that I've always wondered if there as something slightly wrong with my particular Bulldog speaker. I bought it used in 2012 or 13, and it's a '99 non-reverb model. I seriously doubt the speaker is "blown", and it can get fairly loud. But it just seems to produce speaker breakup in (undesirable) ways that I've never heard my other 8" combos do. And since I don't have a 2nd Pathfinder and can't readily go check one out at Guitar Center, I've never had a basis of comparison to know if all Pathfinders do that. So, it's a risk, but man am I really interested to see what the Weber does in there after 5 years of the stock speaker.
    nojazzhere likes this.

20. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004

I think you will like the tone even more. Though I like the Bulldog speaker, I put an old Jensen alnico in mine and it definitely added a more pleasing breakup and chime to it.

As far as your current breakup, I had a couple of the early non reverb models and found the stock tone not as pleasing as the later reverb models, especially with boost on. Very similar to the Pathfinder 10, which I used to also own. Doing the led mod and squeezing an 8" speaker into it made it sound a lot better.
    StormJH1 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.