Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

If you already have such a pedal to use as described, you could go that route. Personally, I find this to be a simpler option...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    And at $50, it's a cheaper option than most FX pedals...

As for amps, I have most often used this set up with two of my Pathfinder 15Rs (I have three), but I've also used it with other amps I've owned, like a Peavey Envoy 110 or a Peavey Studio Pro 112.

Clarkey likes this.

2. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    A used Boss DD7 will do stereo out from mono in. Not to mention sending a reverse delay to the second output as an option. This can give an avenue to real ethereal use and worth the price of admission. IMO ;)

Not sure if the DD5 will do this, but I think it does...

Clarkey likes this.

3. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    The A/B/Y pedals work very well.

I have a Radial Twin City/Tone Bone which has an isolated transformer for one channel which you can adjust the volume of that channel with. Also has speaker phase switch and a ground lift switch. Works great.

For awhile I had the Pathfinder 15R plugged into a 1x12 Cab with an Eminence Red Ryder in it. Also had Silvertone 1483 amp head plugged into a 2x12 cab with WGS ET-65 & WGS Veteran 30. Had both running together with the Radial ABY pedal. It was overkill but sounded great. In essence had a Poor man's Vox AC 15 matched with a Poor man's Fender Bassman and they sang well together.

Clarkey likes this.

4. Clarkey

Clarkey TDPRI Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Sydney
    Awesome thanks for input sold my other pathfinder and got a peavey redstripe studio pro can i do those together ????

5. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I don't know why not. Like I said, with this ABY box, I've paired one of my Pathfinders with Envoys and a Studio Pro. My Studio Pro was the earlier version (silver stripe/black box). Of course, there is a wattage output discrepancy between the two amps, but adjusting levels is no problem. That said, my favorite setup using this ABY box is going out to two of my Pathfinders.

6. TBOT

TBOT TDPRI Member

Apr 19, 2016
    USA
    So, running a line out from one pathfinder 15r into the input of a second pathfinder 15r is not an option?
    I've seen varied opinions on this. Kind of looking for a definitive word.
    Would love to it have to deal with ABY box. But, don't want to damage my Pathfinders.

7. TBOT

TBOT TDPRI Member

Apr 19, 2016
    USA
    Would love to not deal with ABY

Sorry

8. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Meister

Nov 26, 2005
    Go ahead & try it, just start off with the volumes & gains down low. Or, if you're just experimenting, you could just plug the guitar into a Y adapter going into both inputs.

9. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I don't have that "definitive word" on the Line Out from one PF15R to the Input of another PF15R question you posed. The only thing the manual says about the Line Out on the rear panel is

I would agree with wabashslim about this: experiment, but go slow and go low to start. I've got less than an hour before I leave for a gig, or I'd try it myself.

If it doesn't work out, or you get a "definitive word" saying "Don't do it, and here's why..." then the ABY box is a handy tool to have. It can also be used to set up two guitars going into one amp. So you can have two guitars set up on stage, then switch guitars, click the "A or B" button on the ABY box, and you're good to go.

And as for the one guitar into two amps setup, it works great. Some years back I used that very setup in a small church on a number of occasions, and twice at a 4th of July church picnic, inside a fellowship hall, with 200 +/- people in attendance. (The volleyball, frisbees & BBQ-ing was done outside, of course, but they ate inside, in the fellowship hall, and that's where they had us set up for the music.) Sending the signal to those two PF15Rs via the ABY box worked even for that size of audience. It spread the sound, projecting from either side of the staging area, and friends helping me do sound check were both in a band themselves (guitarist & bass player). Got the thumbs up from them. Crowd responded well to us. I didn't even have the amps dimed. Both were set with Gain around 9 o'clock, with Volume at about 1 o'clock. Both 15Rs are bone stock.

10. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    So, what amp do you think the 15r sounds most like? Love my Pathy, just wish I could find a big boy amp that sounded just like it. Seems simple, but I have just now found it yet.

11. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "big boy amp." Larger speaker? More wattage output? Tubes? All of the above? Personally, I'm happy with my PF15Rs whether playing in my man cave or gigging. I've gigged with one or more of my Pathfinders in various settings, playing to audiences from 20 to 200. I used different rig set ups, from one PF15R to two in stereo to going from the Line Out to the PA.

That said, if I were to guess at which amp the 15R sounds most like, I would say...drum roll...a VOX! :rolleyes:;) I believe they're in the AC territory. Years ago, I was recording some things in a friend's son's studio, and when I broke out my tele, I plugged into an AC15. I wasn't doing a side-by-side A/B comparison of that AC15 and my Pathfinders, but it sounded right to me. For a comparison of the two, this young man's YT video does a good job of demoing both.

I haven't had a chance to play through one yet, but what I'd really like to try is the new Vox MV50 AC, the tiny little 50 watt hybrid amp with NuTube technology. I rather suspect that the Pathfinder would compare favorably to the MV50 AC. John Bohlinger has done a "First Look" and a Review video of the MV50 AC.

s360guitarist likes this.

12. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    ^^^Thanks for the reply! No offense meant by the big boy comment at all. Much respect to the ol' Pathy.

I guess I was trying to say what larger tube amp, boo-tek or otherwise, sounds most like the 15r. It is, of course, possible that I may be confusing the feel of the amp too.

Note: I have owned the ac15cc1, ac15c1, ac15tbx, ValveTech Hayseed15 (ef86). Played the ac15hw1, ac4hw1, and probably others I can't recall.

...and forgot to say that my 15r is stock except for an 8" alnico Weber Blue Pup.

13. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I didn't take your comments as disrespecting the Pathfinder. And while I'm happy with the functionality of my Pathfinders in most all of my applications, I'm not saying that I believe it should fit all the needs of everyone else as well. If I needed a higher wattage output amp onstage to really move some air, I wouldn't look to the 15R for that. I used to have an old Peavey Bandit for that. Great cleans and loud enough for any venue I've ever played. Sadly, the Bandit was stolen. I'm thinking about getting another Bandit, but I'm also really interested in the Vox MV50 AC. Of course, neither the Bandit nor the MV50 has tremolo, but I've got a pedal for that.

s360guitarist likes this.

14. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Agreed with all of that. I own the Pathfinder 15 and, since 2015, a Vox AC10C1. The AC10C1 is a legit tube amp and either a Top Boost circuit or some variant very similar to that. Yes, the AC10C1 is significantly louder, bassier, and has better tonal quality than the Pathfinder 15, but I don't use it more than the Pathfinder. For bedroom levels, the Pathfinder is the superior pedal platform (more purely clean headroom when driven) and it can also nail that "in-between" breaking up clean/overdriven tone that Vox enthusiasts know and love. If you look at the reasons that actually motivate me to pick up a guitar at home (testing out a new pedal; wanting to play a bunch of different covers or styles of music requiring dramatically different tones), I don't think it's even controversial to say that the Pathfinder is just better at those things.

The Pathfinder 15 also "handles" bass well, without necessarily having a ton of bass. I think that Bulldog speaker is just really good for an 8" cone - considering that this is an open/semi-open back combo, you wouldn't expect it to have much low end to speak of. But I've run high gain pedals with giant low end frequencies into it, and at reasonable volumes, it takes them!

The Line Out functionality is also surprisingly good. I used to have a 65lb 2x12" Valvetronix amp with an FX loop (for reasons that made no sense) - the Pathfinder line out into the FX return of that thing sounded amazing, and that's with "entry-level" equipment.

15. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    ^^ I've done low volume gigs using the line out, and agree, sounds surprisingly good. ^^

LGOberean likes this.

16. ssmtb

ssmtb Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2016
    Boise
    image.jpg Just did the LED mod on mine. Not sure why I waited so long. Oh yeah, it's the fact that I am terrible with the soldering iron. No big deal really. The PCB was not cramped or complicated. They just fell right out. Ten minutes tops to heat up the iron, remove the panel and chassis, unsolder the diodes, and put everything back together. Loving the increase in clean headroom. Makes the amp play even nicer with my OD3!

17. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands
    Hi ... presume/hope it's OK to add my Vox Cambridge 15 (V9169) to this thread, as they're at least a cousin to the Pathfinders.
    Bought this in 2000, when no longer gigging and just needed something for at home.
    Rarely used these days, prefer the depth of a larger speaker, but for a good few years it was my only amp and served me well.
    The footswitch just operates the Gain boost, although I'm not a high gain/distortion type of player so that rarely gets pressed.
    However, the mid-boost is always on.
    Tremolo, in my opinion, was a joke from the start but fortunately I'm not fussed about it anyway.
    Plays well enough for cleans, with a Tele and a Strat, but bottom end is, imo, weak. 'Buckers can quickly make it break up if the Gain is more than +1!
    A few months ago my other amp (Blackstar) went in for repair, so I was glad to still have it, but it really doesn't get much love these days.
    See more at:
    http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/c15.html

Pics:
    Cel 4.jpg

Cel 5.jpg

Cel1.jpg

Cel 3 - 8in 8ohm.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Michael A. and BorderRadio like this.

18. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    From the front, that Cambridge 15 looks a lot like my older, Korean-made PF15R with the black grill cloth. Except for that "Celestion" badge in the lower right hand corner, of course. But then comparing the top panel controls and rear panel inputs reveals the differences. Had to look twice for the Footswitch input, not used to seeing it on the top panel. BTW, that footswitch/pedal..."bespeco"? Never heard of it. I'm guessing that's a European thing.

19. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands
    Whoops. My sloppy keyboard work ..
    See below

20. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands
    Yeah. Foot switch made in Italy. Recommended to me by the store when purchasing the amp.

LGOberean likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.