VOX Night Train 15 no power HELP plz

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Rumzdizzle, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Rumzdizzle

Rumzdizzle Tele-Meister

So I came home from work at 1130 pm and was gonna play for a bit before going to bed and when I went to flip on the amp it was already on. The last time I had played had been the day before so it had been on (on standby) for at least a day and a half. The jewel light was not on and had no power.

I checked the fuse and it was burnt on the side so after going to many stores to get a fuse (1.25 amp time delay) I came home and it blew the fuse again in less than a second. Tried another one and the same thing happened... The light came on for a second and it blew the fuse again.

I understand that it could be the power tubes or one of the transformers, but how do I narrow it down?.. I don't want to spend a small fortune repairing it because a new mercurymag transformer costs 205-235 and I don't even know how replace that.

Clifnotes:
    No power, blowing fuses...
    How do I find the exact problem?
    Any alternatives to mercurymag transformes?

2. davis1676

davis1676 TDPRI Member

did you get this fiqured out?

3. Harleyjon

Harleyjon TDPRI Member

Unfortunately if it takes out the fuse in standby mode the transformer may well be faulty. Usually caused by a bad connection in the mains supply, IEC plug, lead etc.
    Disconnect the secondary wires, two violet one grey and two orange, then try again with a 60Watt light bulb in series with the mains supply, that will save your fuses.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.