Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vox MV50 Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sluglas, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Just came home from a late lunch out with the wife. On the way home, we stopped by the local GC. My wife and I had an arrangement. I wanted to see if the Mini Super Beetle was in yet, or any more of the MV50s, so she sat in the car. If they didn't have them, I'd be right back out. If they did have them, I'd text her to come in or go shopping elsewhere, her choice.

The GC here does not have the MSB25 in store, and I checked, none were in transit. And they still don't have any of the MV50 models, either. I was again told by one of the sales guys that they got one MV50--just one?!?--in when they first came out (early 2017). He said they test drove it and it was "pretty cool," but it sold that very day, and they haven't gotten any in since.

Come on, GC...get with the program!

Durberville likes this.
  2. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    OK, so here is what I found.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=172903072947

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XV7YXFG/?tag=tdpri-20

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=253576349910

The AC adapter has the right power specs (19v @ 3.42a), but it has the wrong plug (5.5mm x 2.5mm barrel). So I bought plugs to create an adapter cable (5.5mm2.5mm at one end and 6.5mm center pin at the other). I bought a few of the 6.5mm plugs to check out hoping they would be the right size, and they arrived today and seem to be correct. I am still waiting for the 5.5mmx2.5mm plugs (arriving later today supposedly). Then I can wire stuff up and do a test. But assuming that it all works as expected, I will have gotten a viable spare AC adapter for under $10 (note the AC adapter cost me $5.97. It now shows as $15.97! But I think I saw other sources on Amazon that are under $9). And, since I bought straight plugs, the power connection to the amp won't get in the way of the switches anymore (yea!).

Stay tuned...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    fitflatpicker and Durberville like this.
  3. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Well, no surprise since its not rocket science...but the power supply is working as expected with my little plug conversion cable. You should be able to do the same thing with any laptop (or other) power supply that puts out 19V at 3.42a (or higher), although you would have to get the appropriate female plug to connect to the power supply cable. Of course another option is to just cut off the plug of the ac adapter in question, and solder on the 6.5mm center pin plug. I didn't want to do that just in case I decided to return the ac adapter. But long term, that might be a good solution. Since the power supply I bought seems to have doubled / tripled / quadrupled in price (depending on the source), you might do better to get some other power supply. But the key thing that this proved out was that the 6.5mm plug is the correct plug for the MV50. I leave the rest up to you.

I plan to use some Dual Lock to attach this power supply to one of my speaker cabinets. Should make a very convenient package.

fitflatpicker likes this.
  4. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Now that I proved to myself that the plug I bought was the right size, I decided to repurpose an old laptop power supply as well. It's specs are 19.5v 3.33a HP supply (certainly close enough, and yes it works fine). It came with 2 detachable cables for the DC side, and I cut the tip off of one of them quite some time ago for a different project that didn't work out. So it was a no brainer to splice on one of the 6.5mm plugs I bought.

I plan to use my MV50's for band practice as well as at the weekly blues jam, and I leave a 1x12 cabinet in both of these jam rooms (conversions from gutted combos actually). So now that I have 2 "backup" power supplies, I will probably leave a power supply Dual Locked inside of each of these cabinets. It will make for quicker setup time, and I will still have the real power supplies to leave connected at home, carry as a spare, or take with me somewhere else.

I love Sundays like this :)

But I really hate Mondays.

Bristlehound likes this.
  5. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Okay, I'm curious to know if anyone has pulled the trigger on the MV50 'Boutique'. I have been saying all along that I'm GASing for the MV50 AC model. But now that the Mini Super Beetle has come out, that has moved to the top of the list, essentially replacing the MV50 AC with a NuTube equipped model that has a better tone stack and added features.

But I'm thinking that the MV50s are cheap enough to maybe pick up a model besides one with AC tones. I'm just not really a pedal guy, so that Clean version doesn't appeal to me, since I'm not looking for it to be a pedal platform. And the Rock is more high gain than I do, to say nothing of the High Gain version. So that leaves the Boutique.

I've been trying to get a sense of the Boutique from YouTube vids. Gregor Hilden has several good ones out, including several with a 335. But I'm looking primarily for what it sounds like with single coils. And Gregor has a good one where he's playing a EJ Strat into the Boutique, running into a Vox 2x12" cab (V212C, 50 watt, 16 ohms). And also a couple with him using a Tele (albeit one with a humbucker in the neck) plugged into the same rig.

And there were several by Sam mojolab, but this one was my favorite of his...

And Andertons Music has Rob and Lee doing a review of both the High Gain and the Boutique. It was helpful when Lee played a Tele into the Boutique, but this particular video had a lot of their goofy antics in it, and so was frustrating. It could easily have been a shorter video, by at least ten minutes. But oh, well, I'll include it here, too.

So it sounds good to me. But what I'd like to know is if anyone here has one. I'll take what input I can get. It'd be great if you have a demo of your playing, but I'd at least like to hear what you think of it. Or even other video recommendations, if you have any.

6. dotpc

dotpc TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Everett, WA
    I like everything about that design except ditching the VU meter. It's too cool to get rid of.

Durberville likes this.
  7. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Do you use line out while going direct? Because it sounds harsh and include a bad sounding cab sim. If you use iconoclast thru line out you are having 2 cab sims at the same time which may darken the tone bit.

Because of this i’m now purchasing a loadbox to benefit from the full potential of the amp.

8. dotpc

dotpc TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Everett, WA
    Funny story about how I got my MV50 AC.

Was at American Music in Seattle trying out stuff and my wife said to try out this Vox because it was so cute and that she had always wanted me to get a Vox.

I plugged in and after a few moments she said that it sounded better than any of my other amps and that I should get it (I have some really nice amps, in my opinion). The rest is history.

I also dig the Quilter MicroBlock. I love that amp makers are finally focusing on little and loud! And solid state is just incredible these days. I used to only have tube amps!

amorica, BB and LGOberean like this.
  9. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I have the Clean and the AC, and after watching Greg’s videos, really want a Boutique. But I know that the tones he achieved are in his hands, and he could probably have made the Clean sound very similar. Plus, the Clean takes reverb pedals much better than any of the models with gain will. So am trying not to buy one - wish me luck.

LGOberean likes this.
  10. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

I don't hate the look of the VU meter on the front panel, but looks aside, it's useless. In one of the early videos that Corey Witt did of the MV50 series, the only thing he could say about the VU is "that tells you the amp is working," or something to that effect. Well, duh! :rolleyes: You know another way you can tell it's working? Sound comes out! :twisted: If getting rid of it makes room for a better tone stack and on-board effects (as they did with the head of the Mini Super Beetle), then I'm all for it.

Durberville likes this.
  11. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

Sounds like your wife is supportive and into your music. Congrats! I relate to that. My wife is also. When she saw the MSB25, she liked the look and was pleased that it wasn't an expensive amp.

And I'm with you on the recent trend of amp manufacturers to do little and loud. These days we have lots of good options that are easy on the ears and the back. Now if only they all were as easy on the wallet! :twisted:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    dotpc likes this.
  12. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

Yeah, good luck with that! :twisted:

As I said, before the MSB25 came out, I was looking at the AC and the Clean. But I was never really excited about the Clean's tones. Without a Gain control, the only way to get any grit was to crank it, and even then it wasn't much. I figured it would be fine on its own for funky rhythm stuff, but that wasn't primarily what I was looking for, and as I'm not a pedal guy, I figured for me the Clean would just be a one trick pony.

The Boutique, OTOH, in the videos I've watched, seems to stay clean to relatively clean until the Gain gets up to around 2 or 3 o'clock, but the tone has more warmth, more character than the Clean version.

13. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I am on the other side of the fence. I AM a pedal guy. So the Clean was my first choice, and I love it. The AC, at first, seemed a little thin and harsh, but it is growing on me. I will use it tonight at the weekly blues jam, and may just use a fairly clean boost to push it a bit, where as with y clean, I use an overdrive pedal (often a Timmy or Blues Breaker clone). The MSB25 is very interesting to me due to its Bass and Treble controls, and low-ish gain. And the Boutique is interesting to me because of the jazzier sounds Gregor achieved....somebody help me....

Durberville likes this.
  14. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    The MV50 AC did really well last night at the blues jam. I wasn’t very happy with th boost pedal I used however. This is a pedal I built, based upon the Vertex Steel String. This pedal doesn’t have a regular tone control. It’s more of a mid something or other, and I found the pedal to cause the AC to feel a little clubby. Although, I also felt that the way I had tHe AC setup (drive at about 10:30), Plus a push from a boost gave me just the right amount of drive. So I will try other boost pedals I own, and see if their freq range suits the AC better. The amp had great thump and punch though - it really felt like a much bigger amp, and I think once I find the right boost (my next try will be either an AMZ MOSFET Booster or maybe even an overdrive set very clean), I think it will be great. Tonight is band practice, and the Clean is definitely in order for the music my band plays. As mentioned before, I typically use a Timmy clone or a Blues Breaker clone for some light to medium drive with the band.

15. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004
    Did you try switching the eq on the back? If not, it may make a difference for you. An eq pedal may help as well.

16. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I did. My cabinet is open back, and so I started with the eq in the Deep position. When I realized I wasn't enjoying the way it behaved when I hit the boost, I switched it to the Flat position. Minor improvement, but I still believe the issue is the pedal. I haven't been that happy with this boost pedal anyway, so my next time out, I will try another. Also, I do have an eq pedal on my board, but given that the tone without the boost was right where I liked it, I'd rather not color the sound further.

Now, what I could do is set the eq for a boost AND some freq tailoring instead of using a boost pedal, but we'll see if that is really needed.

17. fitflatpicker

fitflatpicker TDPRI Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Tenneseee
    It does sound harsh straight out of the MV50, and I wanted the tone shaping that the iconoclast provided. It’s been a while since i read the docs on the MV50 and I wasn’t totally sold on the idea that the Line Out on it was officially a cab sim. The clean does not have pleasing distortion for my needs, so I keep the volume knob below half and use pedals to get what I need for overdrive.

Durberville likes this.
  18. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

zZounds just published a YouTube video about the new Vox offerings, including the Mini Super Beetle. I was already convinced that the MSB25 head is a glorified MV50 AC, based on the the overview on the Vox Amps page and the previous interviews Corey Witt has given. (I quoted above my post #143, in which I gave my reasons for this.) Since which model was actually the basis for the MSB25 has been questioned earlier, I'm posting this latest video, where Corey outright says it (at about “50 seconds in): “The Mini Super Beetle is built off of the MV50 platform, so it’s the MV50 AC expanded out to give a deeper EQ feature set as well as on-board digital reverb and tremolo.”

19. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    He says that the upgraded AC10 now has a "Celestion V type" speaker. I had an AC10 until a few months ago. It had a VX-10 speaker, made by Celestion. Is Corey saying that it now has a Celestion V-Type (actual name), which is a 12" speaker, or a Vintage 10 or something else?

20. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

Apr 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    I’ve been mucking about with my Clean and Voodoo Lab Giggity† when I have a chance. I’m really enjoying how it can subtly increase the compression and add a subtle bit of bite for that clean with a bit more sound for rhythm playing.

† they call it a ‘Mastering Preamp’ it’s roughly a very low gain drive with four voices and a two band active EQ

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.