Vox MV50 Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sluglas, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sluglas

sluglas TDPRI Member

Greetings,
    Except for some initial reviews online when the MV50 line was first released there is not much info out there.
    I purchased the MV50 AC in August of 2017 and it has been my main gigging amp since. It replaced my Roland Cube 80XL which I still use occasionally.
    I like to use different cabs depending on the gig. I'll use a 4Ω cab if I need 50 watts or an 8Ω cab if I only need 25 watts.
    For effects I actually use a Zoom G1on , a hugely underrated and powerful Fisher-Price looking multieffects. I use it strictly for effects, no amp or cab models cause the Vox just sounds so good besides running an amp model through a guitar amp never sounds good to me.

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

AWESOME! Thanks for starting this thread! :D :cool:

There have been a handful of threads in the Amp Central Station about the MV50 series, and maybe a few others that have made reference to it. For months I've wanted a "Owners Club" thread, so that there could be one consistent place to consult as a TDPRI repository of information and observation. But since I am not (yet) an owner, I didn't feel it was my place to start one. I will be checking in here often, and posting questions. And I hope that before too long I'll be chiming in as a member!

3. LGOberean

The cabinet is one of the things holding me back. Currently, all my amps are combos, so purchasing an MV50 also means purchasing a speaker cabinet. And I've wonder about what cab to get for the full 50 watts. What cab do you have that's 4 ohms?

4. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

Today i purchased MV50 Clean and took it to rehearsal. Plugged a 1960 Marshall 4x12 cab in it and used my Golden Acorn drive pedal which is a Dumble in a box pedal. The tone was amazing, i guess it was due to pedal's midrangey character that compensated amp’s scooped eq. It has plenty of volume and i could not get past noon on setting.

I will try it with other mid character pedals like TS as well and post back here.

So far the amp sounds great, totally digging it!

Btw anybody used Loadbox with IRs for direct recording purpose? I really wonder how that sounds. Depending upon positive feedbacks i may also purchase a Loadbox.

Durberville and LGOberean like this.
  5. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

I'm in , I've had a mv50 clean for about 5 months now and love it , it's vastly becoming my main gigging amp instead of my Roland cube 80xl , I've also got the vox bc112 cab , and it's amazing really classy sounding cab.

ozan and LGOberean like this.
  6. LGOberean

As I’ve said, I would like to see this Vox MV50 Owners club thread become a repository of information, observation and experience. Toward that end, I’d like to post information regarding specs and NuTube technology early on in this thread, on the first page, so that as the thread grows the basic information can be right up front.

Of course, all specs and no play makes for a very dull thread, so we need owners to chime in with their experiences, about how they use their respective MV50s, and what they’ve learned about its strengths and weaknesses.

And of course, the oft-repeated TDPRI dictum of “Pics, or it didn’t happen” applies here, too. So let’s start there. As I said, I’m not yet an MV50 owner, but I hope to be soon. So I’ll kick things off with pics borrowed from the Internet, and trust that you owners will follow suit and post pics of yours, and in the context of your rig: on a pedal board, atop a speaker cabinet, etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dotpc and Durberville like this.
  7. LGOberean

Oh, and a lot has been said already about how small and lightweight these MV50s are, but just to give a pictorial perspective on this, the MV50 is roughly the same size as a Boss pedal.

[​IMG]

8. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

1521924851503.jpg
    That's what a guitar cab is made for !!

Veltek and LGOberean like this.
  9. LGOberean

Wow! I'd be afraid to do that to a $300 cab!

Durberville likes this.
  10. fitflatpicker

fitflatpicker TDPRI Member

I don’t have a load box, but I use the line out into a Neunaber Iconoclast with good and versatile results. IMG_0112.JPG

Durberville and ozan like this.
  11. Tele22

Tele22 TDPRI Member

I was quite interested in the MV50 Clean when I first read about it, but then I saw some comments that it was a bit underpowered for gigs and band rehearsals, so I lost interest.

Now I’m just confused ... Demos I’ve heard of the Clean sound really good. My preference is to have a clean amp with lots of headroom, then use pedals for dirt. I’ve been looking into the Blues Cube Artist as well, but that doesn’t seem to do cleans as well as the MV50 Clean.

12. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

As i’ve said before i took Clean to a rehearsal and could only dialed it at noon with 4x12 cab (we have amloyd drummer). The beyond would be too loud. I’m not gigging yet so i can not comment if it can handle small venue or club etc.

But i guess it can since we play loud at rehearsals. I can not imagine it being cranked all the way up, might be too loud.

dotpc likes this.
  13. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

As i’ve said before i took Clean to a rehearsal and could only dial it at noon with 4x12 cab (we have amloyd drummer). The beyond would be too loud. I’m not gigging yet so i can not comment if it can handle small venue or club etc.

But i guess it can since we play loud at rehearsals. I can not imagine it being cranked all the way up, might be too loud.

Durberville likes this.
  14. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

Ha it wasn't me , it was one of our singers , luckily for me she's tiny

Veltek likes this.
  15. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

I haven't turned mine up to half way at any gig yet it's easily loud enough for any gigs I play , I've also got the option of running a line out to the pa

indiobravo likes this.
  16. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

I think the choice of speaker(s) will affect loudness. Impedance and sensitivity.

I noticed that the clean has options for 1/10 and 1/100 power. Anyone tried cranking it at the lower settings?

Durberville likes this.
  17. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

Yes I've tried it at all settings , it sounds ok but prefer it at 100%

18. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Does it get crunchy when turned all the way up?

19. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

It does , but not in a nice valve amp kind of way , best to leave that to a pedal of some sort

20. Tele22

Tele22 TDPRI Member

So when you run it at 100%, is it in 25 watt or 50 watt mode? I don't really understand the 4 vs 8 ohm thing yet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.