Vox Mini Superbeetle

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by beninma, Dec 19, 2018.

1. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wow.. I got to try one of these, $329 with the 1x10" Cab.

Really impressive. I could happily plug directly into one of these and play at home without feeling like I needed anything else.

Really nice volume with the Master Volume level. Really easy to get a nice bedroom clean tone. The speaker they are using must be fairly low efficiency as my Orange Rocker 15 is also a 1x10" setup and it is way way way louder. If you told me the Mini Superbeetle was 25w without me actually seeing it printed on the amp I'm not sure I would believe it was, I'd think it was 5W or less or something, but that's just cause of my reference point.

Tremolo seemed to have some useless values low on the dial but was good once it was at about noon. Reverb seemed very useable, but I set it to something and didn't play with it.

Diming the gain gets you something that's useable (with a single coil tele) for a ZZ top or AC/DC type song.

Not much 60hz noise at all... even with the gain dimed.

Really great tone & feel... I think it is an amazing package for what it costs.

I tried it out with one of the new MIM Player Tele's, it was very nice. With the EQs at noon it had a nice chime but wasn't ice picky at all.

VWAmTele, Nubs and LGOberean like this.
  2. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

At first, I kinda got some mixed signals from your post. You started out by saying "I got to try one of these," and I guess I read it as "I've got to try one of these..." :oops: But the rest of your post made it clear you had indeed test driven one, so I re-read it, and figured it out.

I've been curious about this amp since it came out in June. Oh, let me just say it; I'm GASing for one big time! :twisted: I've watched every YouTube video about it in English, and even a few in other languages. There are two guitar stores in town that I frequent, neither one has it or even knows anything about it. I really would like to try before I buy, if possible, but that's probably not going to happen. I did put this on my Christmas Wish List, but I'm probably much more likely to get a lump of coal than this amp. :oops:

3. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I held out until a couple of months ago when I finally gave in and got one. I agree with all your assessments. The volume actually works out better for my situation - my Pathfinder was way louder.

Used the tremolo for the first time today - yes, it needs to get to noon before it make a difference - wish it had a speed control. The small on switch and the insanely bright power light are my only other issues.

4. Millebern

Millebern Tele-Meister

I got one about a month ago and I really like it a lot. It's great for low volume playing in my man cave. I was just wondering if it is normal to have a slight "pop" sound everytime I turn it on. The amp works perfectly, no issues, it's just that initial pop sound I hear.

5. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Mine pops when I switch it on.

6. Millebern

Millebern Tele-Meister

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't something abnormal.

7. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

The demo I saw shows that the tremolo knob adjusts speed but not depth. Is that not so?

8. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The tremolo might not adjust depth. I didn’t play with it enough.

I don’t remember this amp popping when it was turned on but I’m so used to tube amps popping a little that maybe I just didn’t notice.

9. Mirrorshades

Mirrorshades TDPRI Member

It's not the speaker. Tube amps like the Orange Rocker are generally much louder than solid state amps like the Mini SuperBeetle. Solid state has to run at much higher power levels in order to surpass a tube amp.

10. marksd

marksd NEW MEMBER!

If you need a powerful search light, the Vox Mini Superbeetle is your answer.

11. Al Nico

Al Nico Tele-Meister

I caved and got one off Reverb.com with the current 15% off promotion. Can't wait to get it and have head-to-head with my Pathfinder 15R.

hdvades likes this.
  12. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

I have PF15Rs myself, so I'm interested in that very head-to-head comparison. Please report back. A video of said comparison would be most welcome.

Also, if it's a keeper amp for you, please consider starting a vox Mini Super Beetle owners club thread in the Amp Owners Clubs section of TDPRI.

hdvades likes this.
  13. Al Nico

Al Nico Tele-Meister

Hey Larry - I recently received it, but have not had a chance to run the gamut of tests on them and am not currently set up to make any good recordings and videos. However, I can make these general observations - keep in mind my PF has the LEDs clipped and an 8" Weber Alnico Blue, which is smoother but less efficient than the stock ceramic:

1. The MSB cab is definitely inadequate in size. I tried the stock speaker and a spare Jensen MOD 10-70, and the PF through it's internal 8" speaker sounded fuller and less boxy at low to moderate volumes. It is serviceable for practice volume, but disappointing.

The rest of the comparisons were conducted through the same 8 ohm 1x12 cab with a Celestion Century Vintage Neo, and I never hit the gain button on the PF or tried the MSB at 4 ohm:

1. The MSB had more clean headroom, but I wouldn't say it was orders of magnitude louder than the PF before perceivable breakup.
    2. I was able to get punchier and chimier Vox cleans from the PF at moderate volumes, but they were less "tubey" than the MSB and always had a more immediate attack (which is a good and bad thing depending on the song).
    3. I pissed off the family and dimed them both at moderate to max gain: The MSB could get louder, had a smoother and tubier quality, and a bit more musical gain on tap, but the PF held it's own at moderate OD before it fizzed out with the gain maxed. I might even say in a band context the PF would cut through better at moderate "blizzard of nails" gain at the same volume.
    4. The buzz and 60 cycle noise floor of the PF was noticeably higher than the MSB at similar volumes, but the MSB had this intermittent high frequency whine that was very annoying. Neither would be a big deal in a band context.

Honestly at this point, I wouldn't say the MSG stomps over the PF - the decision gets even more muddled if you tried comparing a pair of PFs vs a MSB head and larger cabinet, which would both be comparable small-gig setups. If they sold the MSB head separately at a lower price, I would definitely get one even if I had a PF just for it's form and function.

Nobody can deny that they are both lookers...
    [​IMG]

14. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

They would be great in "Stonehenge."

tce63 likes this.
  15. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

Same here, except my Pathfinder is completely stock.

Same here.

I do think the MSB is better-looking than the Pathfinder. The combo, though, is obviously easier to carry.

The MSB reverb is probably quieter. At least, I didn't notice it as being noisy when I had it, whereas my PF reverb does get noisy above 12 o'clock: not unusably so, but noticeably.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.