Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vox brings out the coolest looking practice amp the Mini Super Beetle

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by warrent, Jun 28, 2018.

1. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    I thought about that. But unless you use both hands, it's going to hang crooked and bang your legs.

2. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Hold it the other way and bang everyone else's legs! ;)

LGOberean likes this.

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    The latest video demo (that I'm aware of, anyway) of the Mini Super Beetle...

Landon mentions that it's not readily available. To quote him, "...apparently, there isn't that much stock available, until possibly after Christmas." I don't know if he was addressing availability issues in Canada, or if that's the situation generally. Sweetwater's page says "Available soon. We expect more from Vox in just a few weeks." GC's page says it's in stock and ready to ship.

The last I checked my local GC, though, they hadn't gotten them in, and the kid I asked hadn't even heard of it. I checked one other local store and the kid didn't there didn't know about it, either. Of course, I can order one, and it'll get in when it gets in, but I really would like to play it first.

MadJack likes this.

4. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Sounds pretty good...

5. kgguitarplayer

kgguitarplayer Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2010
    Nashville
    My step dad has one. I played through it for around an hour or so the other night, it sounds really good. I was impressed...

6. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    A couple new videos, not mine:

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

7. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Cool! :cool: Thanks for posting these. I've seen The Guitarist (first video) before. I hadn't seen the A Strings video, I guess that's pretty new.

8. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Bet that sits in a (recorded) mix great. Love the Ric....

LGOberean likes this.

9. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    Why not order one at your local GC and have it shipped to the store? Then, when it arrives, you can try it in-store. If you don’t like it, you can return it on the spot.

10. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Of course, I could do that. But that's not my preference, for several reasons.

(1) I was just talking in another thread about the whole "try and return" thing with GC. In principle, I don't like to do that. Now if something is defective about the piece of gear, I'll return it in a heartbeat. But I kind of assume that the burden is on me to know as much as possible that I'm going to like a thing before I pull the trigger.

(2) Domestic harmony. This is a big one. So far in this year alone, I've acquired two guitars and a powered speaker for a PA. I should therefore not be in a hurry to buy another piece of gear, no matter how much I want it.

(3) Note the word "want" in that last sentence. I sure do want the Vox MSB25. I'm GASing for the Vox MSB25. But I don't NEED the Vox MSB25.

I will do all I can to find one to test drive before I commit to a purchase. I've said before that at this point, with all of the positive comments by reviewers and owners, I'd be shocked if it didn't sound good. I know the features are to my liking, and it looks killer. So at some point when the wife won't raise an eyebrow at the notion of another purchase, if I haven't had eyes and hands and ears on one up close and personal by then, I plan to order one.

11. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    Fair enough, you’re reasons are definitely valid. But as for #1 above, I have heard from a pretty reliable source it won’t upset GC unless you do it 39 more times. ;)

12. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    A couple more demos, not mine:

MadJack and tce63 like this.

13. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    Mine arrived yesterday, but by the time we got home I was too tired to unpack and set it up. I need to grade some papers and read some articles today, but first:

Vox Mini Superbeetle.jpg

I need to move the amp somewhere else, but this was good enough for a picture and a first play-through.

Initial impressions:

It feels solid. It was assembled with more care than my Monoprice 15W amp. (I have the original, with knobs on top.) I'm not a gigging musician, so my standards are probably low. It does not seem designed for throwing in the back of a truck, but I wouldn't have a problem placing it in the trunk of my Camry. Or maybe I'd use a small suitcase: the whole thing is just under two feet tall, so it should fit in a carry-on. The most obvious weak point is the power adapter cable, which plugs into the back of the head; it's about the thickness of most pedal power cables. Everything about this amp is mini, including the knobs, but they turn smoothly, not loosely (like the Monoprice).

The reverb can get wetter than I expected from the online demos. I'm not a reverb connoisseur, but what I've heard so far sounds good to me. I look forward to exploring it further.

The tremolo is a treat: only one dial, but easy to find sounds that are tasteful. Someone at Korg/Vox planned this out well.

How does it sound? I've played models of Vox amps, but the Mini Superbeetle is my first real Vox, so I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, except "Beatles" and "U2." No disappointments on that score, but I need more time with the amp before I can say anything more.

As configured with that 10" speaker, it's only 25 watts, and I haven't opened up the gain enough to find out what 25 watts really sounds like...yet. But my sense so far, with volume high and gain at 20%, is that this amp really was designed for the living room; the "stadium" aspect is purely visual. That's going to disappoint people who were hoping to get an AC30 for $300. But I don't want an AC30. (Well, I do, but when would I ever get to enjoy it? Not hardly never.) What I do want is an amp that sounds just right for "A Hard Day's Night" in my study at reasonable volumes. This amp seems to have been designed very thoughtfully to deliver exactly that.

Whether it can also do small gigs is a reasonable question that I can't answer yet. So far my few excursions have been with amp sims plugged into a PA; and I'm not keen to start hauling a speaker if I don't have to. It will be interesting to hear how the Mini Superbeetle sounds with just the head and its line out/speaker sim going into a PA. Probably good enough for me, since I was perfectly content -- in those settings -- with the sounds from my Boss GT-1 or Joyo AC Tone. As noted before, this might say more about my low standards than the adequacy of any gear.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 12:52 PM
    LGOberean, warrent and tce63 like this.

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I wonder how it would sound with My Rickenbacker 12 string?

15. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2014
    Paris, IL
    I was fortunate to find someone selling just the head which is all I wanted because space is a HUGE consideration for me and I have a Vox 12" Night train cab that it will fit with quite nicely.

I should say it is inbound to my house but not yet arrived.

16. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

Cool! :cool: I like that pic, for a number of reasons. For one thing, I relate to the backdrop. My man cave/music room is also my office, and I have floor-to-ceiling bookshelves covering the north and south walls. Even then, I have more books than shelf space. :oops: And I tend to do the same thing I see you do, I tend to lay some books flat on top of other books on the shelf that are upright.

LGO books, Hebrew & Greek shelves.jpeg

I also like that you flanked the MSB25 with an LP and a Gretsch Electromatic. It gives good perspective on the size of this mini amp stack. Everything I've heard of this amp in demo videos tells me I will like it, the AC tones, the reverb, the tremolo.

As for it being designed for the living room, yeah, I get that, and they've advertised it as such. At the same time, its 50 watt capability indicates that they also designed it to play to more than just a living room. And personally, I have no doubt that it can do small gigs. I gig all the time with my Vox Pathfinder 15Rs, and that's a 15 watt amp with an 8" speaker, that also has an extension cab out and a Line Out. It has done small to small-ish/medium sized gigs. So I'd be really surprised (and disappointed) if the MSB25 can't do small room gigs. Or even larger gigs, running out to a PA. Which reminds me, I'd like to get your take on how its Phone/Line out sounds going out to a PA.

17. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    I don't have the gear for it here, but I'm hoping to check that in the next couple weeks.

I see we have some of the same books, too!

LGOberean likes this.

18. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    FL
    Thank you for all the great reviews here. I knew I'd get one the day they announced and that day finally arrived. All I can add is that IMO it sounds so much more like a 'real VOX' than my Pathfinder 15r. Hate to let the 15r go, but it's no longer an option with the MSB25 around.

LGOberean likes this.

19. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I have three Vox Pathfinder 15Rs, and I'm GASing like crazy for the MSB25. But I would never get rid of my PF15Rs. Well, maybe one of them...maybe. I'm hoping the MSB25 will be an amp currently in production that I can recommend to others like I presently do the Pathfinder 15R, which of course is no longer in production.

As for my own needs and the Mini Super Beetle, well, it's not about need. But I probably won't be buying for a while. I have a shoulder injury (two full-thickness tears of tendons) and I'm waiting on a call from the orthopedist to which my PCP referred me, to schedule an appointment.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.