Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vox brings out the coolest looking practice amp the Mini Super Beetle

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by warrent, Jun 28, 2018.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    A 1x12" or a 2x10" would have been nice...but then Corey Witt couldn't have claimed that Vox hit the old Super Beatle with a shrink ray gun...:rolleyes::lol:

2. Veggie burger

Veggie burger TDPRI Member

Oct 22, 2011
    South Detroit
    Got one today! Ordered it from GC as soon as I saw it online, came in yesterday, picked it up today. Very tube like in that it sounds better at higher volume. Quite loud, better with volume on amp turned up and adjust with guitar volume. Reverb is deep, tremolo is nice, too. Don't have a speaker cabinet to try it through so can't comment on that. So far, so good.

LGOberean and Stubee like this.
  3. Veggie burger

Oct 22, 2011
    South Detroit
    Still prefer my Blackstar ID:30 TVP over the new Vox.

asnarski likes this.
  4. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    oh yes !:D well done.

5. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

Wait...the Mini Super Beetle is already shipping? :eek::cool:

When you said you didn't have a cabinet to try it through, did you mean a second 8 ohm cab besides the cab that's part of the (mini) stack?

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Just use the regular Vox 12" or 2x12" and shift the name plate and rubber feet. You don't get the stand, but that's useless anyway because you can't tilt it up.

7. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I would at least have made the stand function for tilting the cab.

8. Veggie burger

Oct 22, 2011
    South Detroit
    Yes, it sounds good through the speaker that it came with, but I don't have a separate cabinet to try. As is it is 25 watts, with a separate cabinet it could go to 50 watts, would be nice to hear what that is like, though still too loud for my needs.

9. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    A new video review/demo of the Vox Mini Super Beetle was published on YouTube today. There is a down side: it's in Japanese. (At least, I think it's Japanese. I don't speak the language, and just recognize one or two words I learned from an acquaintance that was stationed there decades ago. One of those words is "Hai," and the reviewer says that quite a lot.)

But I think it's a well done video. There was a lot of talking at the beginning, and I assume he's going over the specs. When he gets to the playing, he does a good job of twisting knobs and letting you hear the amp at different settings. The amp sounded good, and the vid really provides a good look at what its capable of. There is an inset of him playing (and he's playing a Tele :D) while at the same time providing a close up of the top panel's settings. Anyway, here it is...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Mike Eskimo, dswo and tce63 like this.
  10. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    If I get a VOX, it's either this or an AC10C1. Not sure which to get.

tce63 likes this.
  11. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Meister

Aug 4, 2009
    Lebanon, NH
    Nice review. The basic amp sounds great, but the tones are very similar to what I can achieve with my Roland Blues Cube Artist amp with the NY Blues Tone Capsule. One thing I don't like is the reverb. It sounds like they're using the Belton reverb modules which have that warbly modulated decay I don't care for. Otherwise, it's a cool little amp.

12. MarkWW

MarkWW Tele-Meister

Mar 20, 2012
    Central Florida
    One may gig with ANY amp. I do not gig anymore but if I did would not have a lot of confidence in the construction (I own this so not speculating) as far as standing up to a lot of play time and the abuse of moving around from place to place. OK this is my speculation based on playing it in my home and just looking at the construction. Don't get me wrong I would buy this amp again in a heart beat based on what it is. Heck I have read about folks gigging with Vox DA5's which could be mic'd or DI'd in to a PA, but as much as I love my DA5's I have had several just crap out on me and that is after light home use.

But I am always intrigued when folks are negative on a new amp and they haven't even purchased it or played on one. At $280ish new why not? It is a cool little amp.

tce63 likes this.
  13. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    What about the construction makes you think it won't hold up to being moved around often?

tce63 likes this.
  14. MarkWW

MarkWW Tele-Meister

Mar 20, 2012
    Central Florida
    Do you have one of these? It is just not as ruggedly built as a regular amp. My SCXD is much more rugged. My Ampeg's are more rugged and even my AC10c1 at least seems more substantive. Look I am not saying it isn't a good amp and I doubt it will disintegrate and fall in pieces and it will def withstand my brutal home use. This and the Yamaha THR's, the Vox VX1/II and DA series are IMHO kinda toy amps that deliver great value and sounds.

15. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    What about the other amps makes them more rugged that the Vox? Is the Vox constructed differently or does it use different materials?

16. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I can’t speak for this one, but do have a MV50. It’s got some parts that seem pretty flimsy to me. Chicken head knobs, slider switches, etc. Pots don’t offer much resistance.

I mean, I paid $150 for it, so I wasn’t surprised. Stuff takes a beating when you moved it around and I do have some concerns about it holding up for gigging purposes. It’s going to be a backup rig, so I’ll just take some extra care.

17. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    I like the sound of that demo.

Something I notice the cab doesn't have is a handle.

18. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    What do you like better about the Blackstar?

19. Veggie burger

Oct 22, 2011
    South Detroit
    I like the versatility of the Blackstar. It does a lot of things very well. I like the TVP even better than the Blackstar HT 5R that I also own. I've tried Orange, Fender, Vox...the Blackstar TVP is the one I always go back to. Works with different guitars, not overly complicated, inexpensive, worth checking out.

20. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

I guess that's what the chrome frame is for. :twisted:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.