Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vox brings out the coolest looking practice amp the Mini Super Beetle

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by warrent, Jun 28, 2018.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

The subject of the 1960s Super Beatle and the AC100 has already been discussed. You're right about the current Mini Super Beetle being designed cosmetically to resemble the AC100. But Vox also knew what they were doing when the dubbed this NuTube based amp the "Mini Super Beetle." It would have been weird if they dubbed it the "Mini AC-100."

Besides, there is historical precedent for the "Super Beatle" reference. For a brief time (in late 1964 and 1965), Vox amp models marketed in America were re-badged with more British sounding names like Westminster (Foundation Bass) and Bristol (bass T-60), and, in the case of the AC-100, the "Super Beatle."

The first image below is from an ad in the British publication Beat Instrumental magazine, and refers to the AC-100 Super De Luxe. The second image is from a USA brochure Million Dollar Sound, Spring 1965, and uses the name "Super Beatle" for the AC-100.

Vox AC-100 Super De Luxe.jpg Vox AC-100 or 'Super Beatle' USA.jpg

MadJack, warrent and tce63 like this.

2. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    25 watt practice map that will be purchased by toan daddies who think a 35 watt map is too loud :p

MilwMark and radiocaster like this.

3. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Radiocaster and T Prior have both mentioned the Vox Super Beatle, introduced in 1966, the one with the cab nearly identical to the cab of the AC-100, but the head was trapezoidal. Just an image to document what's being talked about...

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

No doubt about it. The Mini would be even cooler with that angled shape.

5. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    I’ll say it again...I so want this amp! I have no need for it but I bet it records wonderfully.

asnarski and LGOberean like this.

6. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Yeah, I relate. Don't NEED it...So WANT it! :oops::D

MadJack likes this.

7. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    Will buy one the first they arrive in Sweden.

Hopefully the amp is so small that my wife don't notice it in the collection :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    asnarski, MadJack and SPUDCASTER like this.

8. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    zZounds just published a YouTube video about the new Vox offerings, including the Mini Super Beetle. I was already convinced that the MSB25 head is a glorified MV50 AC, based on the the overview on the Vox Amps page and the previous interviews Corey Witt has given. This was questioned in another thread, but in this latest video, Corey outright says it (at about :50 seconds in): “The Mini Super Beetle is built off of the MV50 platform, so it’s the MV50 AC expanded out to give a deeper EQ feature set as well as on-board digital reverb and tremolo.”

9. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Has anyone actually heard this?

10. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2003
    Well now. This might just work!

11. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

Are you asking if anyone here has actually heard this up close and personal? I was under the impression that the MSB25 isn't available yet. Sweetwater says

Both the GC and MF sites say "Available 08-07-2018." So I'm guessing that the only people who have actually heard one in person were at Summer NAMM 2018. That said, since the head of the MSB25 is essentially an MV50 AC, then those here who have test driven or own the AC version have a good sense of what this will sound like.

Or have I misunderstood your question, richey88?

12. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    No, I was wondering if these were obtanium and if anyone had played one. Thanks for the release dates!

LGOberean likes this.

13. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    I fully agree, but I love talking Vox...it's the time window and generation I come from. I was there ! Seeing Pete Townshend on stage with 2 AC100's is not just a memory, it's like a life experience ! Ha ! :) Ali, Mantle, Maris, Yogi, Bench, VOX amps !

It's kinda funny to read that Add referring to the AC 100 specs and calling it the Super Beatle. It was clearly, as stated, USA marketing. It was always a 100 watt amp made in the UK with perhaps the worst power supply known to mankind ! But that being said, they were awesome when they worked. I never owned an AC100, I tired to acquire one many times but was always late to the party. I did manage to own a UK built AC 50 for a period as well as 3 Thomas Super Beatles. The cabinets alone weighed 100 pounds, the heads weighed around 50. Good Grief ! But that AC 50 was killer though. I drove 4 hours to get it.

Nowhere in the BIG VOX BOOK of amps does it reference the AC100 with the title Super Beatle, but it doesn't matter, Vox was trying to hang on to the market they created and lost .They did what they had to do but poor quality killed them. Kinda sad. Marshall came to the table with the IMPROVED 100 watt stadium amp. Even though the 3 pieces were heavy, we could at least carry them . Unlike the Super Beatle. They were insane big and heavy. Even if we could figure out how to pick one up, what car were we going to put it in ?

Can you imagine for a moment being the manufacturer of the amps that the NUMBER 1 BAND IN THE WORLD WAS USING and you couldn't figure out how to get a quality product to the street ? That would be like Hershey not knowing how to make chocolate !

I recall going to Mannys in NYC often, they would have the SS Thomas amp but never had any of the AC100 tube amps even though they were advertised. The Thomas built SB was $1100 , the AC 100, if you could get one, was $1000 . Henry at Mannys used to say the extra $100 was because it had more power !

The new small 2-piece deal is very kool, I hope it's a quality amp and I hope Vox does well with it. They really have an edge with "HISTORY"

Beatles >stadiums > huge screaming crowds > BIG VOX amps > everything else came later.

I equate these big Vox amps to a boat owner, your happy when you bought it but even happier when you sold it ! I was glad and lucky to sell them all when I did which was not all that long ago, 2 or 3 years.

Oh yeh, just for the SANITY check, I'm not living in the past , I gig with a Tele and a Blues jr ! :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    LGOberean likes this.

14. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Yeah, the soundtrack of my youth was made by Vox amps. And the historical vibe of this MSB25 is a big part of the appeal for me. I'll be checking the local GC next month to see if they get them in. I might be tempted to buy one sight unseen, but I really hope to test drive it first.

tce63 likes this.

15. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    I agree with you to 100 percent.
    will probably pre-order one in Sweden.

Just the look and vibes from the 60 century is enough for me.

What I have heard so far on YouTube, I think it sounds a lot Vox and will fit well in the living room.

LGOberean likes this.

16. MarkWW

MarkWW Tele-Meister

Mar 20, 2012
    Central Florida
    Very interesting observations regarding this amp. It is a "practice or home use amp" as far as I can see and it is doubtful Vox had any intentions for this to be used as a gigging amp. It does capture a miniaturized version of the original's aesthetics. For those that don't like it, maybe you just don't like the traditional Vox look?

As for putting a four ohm speaker in there...options for 4 ohm speakers are very limited. 8 ohm - there are plenty so from my perspective it was a good decision. Vox has been very creative about all the different amp offerings and no matter what someone is always going to complain. But that's OK there are plenty of other brands. So hopefully not too much interest will keep the initial backorder from taking place.

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I would say the amp is very much a gigging amp like the MV50 series, the cab not so much.

18. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

To some extent, I agree with you as far as what Vox's intentions for the amp are. In the overview information on the Vox Amps page for the Mini Super Beetle (https://www.voxamps.com/MiniSuperBeetle25), they repeatedly refer to its application in the "guitarist's home" and as "décor."

And Corey Witt, Product Marketing Manager for Korg USA, said repeatedly in interviews at Summer NAMM that the MSB25 is a "living room/stadium rig." So they seem to be aiming this at home use.

That said, they also equipped the head to be gig worthy, with a second speaker output jack on the rear panel so it could be hooked up with a second cab. And according to the owner's manual (https://www.voxamps.com/uploads/SupportPage_Downloads/MINI_SUPERBEETLE_OM_EFGSJ1(3).pdf), "When two speaker cabinets are connected simultaneously, it is parallel connection. Minimum load is 4 ohms in total." So like its predecessor, the MV50 AC, it is an amp capable of 50 watts, which is giggable for quite a few situations. And it also has the Phones/Line jack, which can (quoting again from the owner's manual) "output directly to a mixer."

I fully expect to be able to gig with this. Even just the mini stack itself I'm sure will work for most things I do (solo/duo, no drummer, nothing high gain, small-ish venues). Shoot, I have gigged more times than I can count with a Pathfinder 15R, where that 15 watt amp with its 8" speaker played straight to the room (just a few dozen people). And for larger crowds, I've gone from the Line Out to the PA with great success. If the Pathfinder 15R is giggable for me, I'm certain the MSB25 will be as well. YMMV.

warrent and tce63 like this.

19. DeanEVO_Dude

DeanEVO_Dude TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I'm not a VOX guy, but I think they got on the wrong boat by making the cab a 1x10 and not a 2x10. I'm watching the Anderton's demo video while writing this... It really sounds great with Pete's Tele and his fingers. Not for me, sounds great. The trapezoid shape for the head would have been really cool!

20. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Pete Townshend said about the Super Beatle stacks that those were the only amps where the construction would fail if they got a guitar bashed into them.

“I discovered Fender Stratocaster guitars are very strong and cheap out in the States. Once I chopped a Vox Super Beatle amplifier in half with one. They’re made out of chipboard, little bits of wood that they glue together, and I chopped right through the whole thing. It was a 4 × 12 cabinet, and it fell into two bits. I picked up the Stratocaster and carried on playing … and it was still perfectly in tune!”
    [​IMG]
    Townshend in 1967, note that he reversed the tops, so to have easier access to the pots for quick adjustments.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.