Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vox brings out the coolest looking practice amp the Mini Super Beetle

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by warrent, Jun 28, 2018.

1. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Suburban PDX, OR
    https://www.voxamps.com/MiniSuperBeetle25

Justifiably, a lot of attention is being put on the accompanying cabinet -- but, it is sad to see (perhaps just a mere innocent error of omission..) Vox does not include much technical info in any description about this Celestion 10" speaker.

Most of the budget / lower-end of the Celestion product line for guitar seem to have efficiency ratings right about 95db.
    While I've been known to 'beat the dead horse' at time on this issue, it's still important because 25WRMS into an 82db speaker you could probably talk over. The same power into a 102db or 103db driver like an Emi C-Rex or The Wizard will likely put you on your way to a tinnitus diagnosis. For reference, the C-Rex would seem roughly over 4x louder than a comparable 95db speaker.

**speaker efficiency matters**

Maybe Vox can update their site to better inform we humble consumers (?)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    LGOberean likes this.

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I have indeed used a 50 watt amp for practicing, but I don't think it's the best for all places at all hours.

3. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    This is why they put volume knobs on them.

4. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I guess people want to use this cab for gigging, it seems.

I doubt it even sounds that good, the speaker is really crammed in there, but you could do an awesome version of Spinal Tap's Stonehenge.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Trapezoidal head -- well spotted! But I don't know how fussy folks looks for a practice amp will be about that.
    No wheels -- now that would be finicky! Just how much does this weigh?

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I hear you on this one. I too looked for the specs on the Celestion speaker, without success. The most specific information Vox gives us is in the Owner's Manual. It isn't much, no efficiency rating given, but for the speaker info, it says "1 x 10" Custom Designed Celestion G10R." Though it's probably not the exact same speaker, the sensitivity rating on the Celestion G10-30 is 95dB, so I'm guessing the speaker in the MSB25 is rated the same.

If that's the case, then it's not as efficient a speaker. :( Would this rig be loud enough to gig with? Well, I guess that depends. Most of what I do is solo or duo performance, playing music that is clean or requires just a bit of grit. I play small-ish venues/audiences. If my Pathfinders work for me in a lot of situations, I'm fairly confident the Mini Super Beetle will too. YMMV.

PhredE likes this.

7. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Yeah, I noticed the cosmetic differences between the 1960s Super Beatle and the MSB25 as well, but I'm not at all "fussy" about the cosmetic differences. Vox' idea of approximating the 50 year old Super Beatle didn't even occur to me. While I think the look of this latest offering is cool, it's not what I would have designed myself. Not that Vox would ask me, but I would have wanted a 1x12" more conventional shaped cab. The tolex and piping are great, though. But like I said, I've got no problem with the look of the MSB25; it's cool. :cool:

And wheels?!? :eek: Yeah, I agree, BDLH, that would be finicky! Wheels on such a small rig! :lol: This thing is about 2' tall by 1' wide by 7" deep, and weighs just a fraction over 19 lbs.

8. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

I'm putting together my guitar room at our new house right now, and a pair of these seem perfect for a small footprint stereo rig. I play a lot thru my PF15r when volume is a constraint, and look forward to the chance to demo one of these. Definitely checks the visual sex appeal and frugal price point boxes for me.

Georox and LGOberean like this.

9. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    I was kind of excited about the nutube. I had a look at the spec and they just don't operate the same as our classic vacuum tubes. As you mentioned they are much lower gain, and they operate at MUCH lower voltages.

The clips I have heard with them seem to sound much like a 12AX7/12AU7 in starved-plate (low-voltage) mode - Fizzy gain and heavily compressed. I hear the same in the TubeScreamer with the nu-tube in it - I actually prefer the solid state models which I am surprised by. I'm sure the nutube can be used in a circuit to an advantage over solid state, but I don't think they'll be replacing classic tubes any time in the future.

tce63 and SngleCoil like this.

10. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Meister

May 6, 2018
    Uknown.
    It will be my next amplifier.

Georox likes this.

11. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Nagoya, Japan
    Sorry for the slight diversion, forum-wise, but I doubt Vox will be moving back into making serious guitars anytime soon. They did the Virage and its associated range (I own an SDC-55 and an HDC-99) which garnered great reviews... and clearly failed to sell well enough. If they make more money with the Starstream, or whatever it's called, then that's the sort of thing they'll stick with.

12. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004
    Don't feel bad. I had one and found the combo sounded much better. The cab had cheap Celestions and didn't sound good with my other amps either. I sold it and still have my Pathfinder combo.

13. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I'm bumping up this thread in part because a new thread about the Mini Super Beetle was started before that poster realized this thread existed. Maybe if this had been on the first page of threads in Amp Central Station, that might not have happened. But I also have news, or related news, anyway. The MV50 series NuTube amp heads, from which the MSB25 is derived, has just been bumped up in price from $199.99 to $219.99. This is the case on the various online stores: GC (and of course MF), Sweetwater and Sam Ash are the ones I've checked. Thankfully (and understandably since it was just released) the Mini Super Beetle is still $329.99.

14. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Just came home from a late lunch out with the wife. On the way home, we stopped by the local GC. My wife and I had an arrangement. I wanted to see if the Mini Super Beetle was in yet, so she sat in the car. If they didn't have it, I'd be right back out. If they did have it, I'd text her to come in or go shopping elsewhere, her choice. The GC here did not have the MSB25 in store, and I checked, none were in transit. And they still don't have any of the MV50 models, either.

15. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2012
    In the woods
    I agree. C'mon Fender!
    P.S. And I do love Vox (big Beatles fan).

tce63 and SPUDCASTER like this.

16. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

They did pretty well with the Pawnshop Series of amps. The Excelsior did far better than they expected. The Greta did well, especially after people started finding out about them. The Vaporizer and Ramparte, all sold. They were all quirky, but actually decent amps at moderate prices.

Fearnot and radiocaster like this.

17. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Emphasis on "quirky." :twisted:

18. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    “Vox brings out the coolest looking practice amp the Mini Super Beetle”

Looks like buggage to me

hemingway likes this.

19. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    It looks like what it is: a compact Vox amp with traditional Vox styling.

Vox MSB25 Mini Super Beetle, perspective 3.jpeg

Georox and tce63 like this.

20. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    well I'll be the bummer, what they are showing with the very kool small amp model is a mini AC100, NOT a mini Super Beatle. The Super Beatle was Trapezoid head made in the USA by Thomas. The AC 100, BOX head design , was NEVER called a Super Beatle. In fact it was referred to as the small box or the large box, there were two versions. They were all UK manufactured.

Other than that, it is still kool.

I owned 3 "THOMAS" SUPER BEATLES, when they worked they were louder than sin, but getting them to stay working was another subject.

The AC 100's , when they worked were the real deal, but they kept blowing power supplies. Most folks who may use one today power it with a Variac.

I do like the new small little 2- pc set though, very nice !

LGOberean likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.