Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

VOX Adio Air GT

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by adamsappel, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Interesting video, thanks.
    I agree with lots of what they say, the Yamaha looks better, but the Vox definitely sounds better, at least to me.....

Cliffyg62 likes this.

2. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    The Adio comes out of that smelling pretty good, well sounding pretty good, looking pretty bad, etc. I've never played the Yamaha, but now own the Adio and played the GT40 for a couple of weeks. I was OK to get plenty of good sounds out of the GT40, but I never enjoyed using the interface (where the app was more or less essential) and so working to the point of getting it to sound OK, just wan't an enjoyable process. For ME - YMMV. The Adio, as with the other Vox modeling amps I've played, just sounded great right out of the box on any of the amp models I was interested in. And the process of tweaking sounds to make my own presets just felt far more organic to me, working the amp in manual mode mostly with the physical amp controls and just tweaking a few other features with the app. The Adio also works seamlessly with the app and streaming with the bluetooth, whereas the GT40 is still glitchy as hell. I'd imagine that Fender will improve both the sound and the app over time, but it felt a whole lot less ready for prime time to me at this early stage.

Between the two, the Vox was a clear winner for me - any of the Vox modeling amps I played were. But the built in looper isn't an issue for me - it's a very cool trick but not one I'd use much and I probably wouldn't spend the $70-80 for the footswitch because the looper is the ONLY thing I'd probably use it for...

That said, none of these little amps suck at all, they're all kind of amazing for what they are, and for some of us, one of them is probably the perfect solution. I'm in that camp and the Vox was my choice of the two I've played - nothing in this video makes me question that choice at all...

BTW, I've gotten used to the look of the Vox to the point I don't even really take notice of it anymore. And, plus, it lives in my office / man-cave so very few other people ever see it anyway...

-Ray

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Brendan and Cliffyg62 like this.

3. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    The vox looks great. The only nonstandard look no one complained about was the thr10/5... and they had a retro thing going.
    gt40 needs to be massaged but sounds better than demoed and the bass port adds nice depth. I love the clean smooth look of it and the app is getting better and really powerful.
    Thr, just brilliant.
    Small desk area vox if no wires, thr or vox if wired. On a table or in a corner on the floor, gt40.
    Streaming music especially from a work cell setup, vox is brilliant. It stops the music when the boss calls. Widenmode fills the room.
    They are all great for what they do.
    (Oh, get used older mustang pedal or gdec, and gt40 gives cheap looping...)
    There's my two cents for what it's worth.

4. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    And they spent about 5 minutes tiptoeing around saying the Mustang GT sounds like crap.

5. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    It did sound pretty bad in that video, much like a lot of the "wet blanket" reviews it got really early on. In fairness, though, when I tried one for a couple of weeks, after a pretty big firmware update, it was pretty easy to get it sounding much better than that. There were still a lot of presets on it that sounded like garbage - just awful - but if you stuck to the basic amp models in the first 20 or so presets and built your own presets (which is pretty much how I've worked with each of the Vox modelers I've tried), it didn't sound nearly that bad and could sound quite good. So I wonder if they were playing an amp that had been updated or still had old firmware or if they were just sticking to some of the bad original presets???

That said, even at it's best, I never though the GT40 sounded as good as the Vox models I've used, including the Adio. It was one of those, "I can certainly live with this, it sounds pretty good" kinds of reactions whereas the Vox amps just smacked me in the face with, "wow, that sounds great!" right out of the box. Part of that, though, is probably down to the process of working with the interface, I just always felt like I was wrestling with the GT40 because I didn't enjoy having to use the app for everything, particularly as glitchy as it was. With the Vox and Katanas, you just play them like a normal old amp and then when you have a sound you like, you push the button to save it, a process I feel much much more at home with. The Vox has a few settings (and amp models) you have to go to the app for, but you could get it fully set up with a full compliment of 8 great sounding presets without ever touching the app if you wanted to...

I thought those two guys were pretty clear that they liked the sound of the Vox most, the Yamaha second, and the GT40 least, though, so I don't think they really danced around it...

-Ray

6. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Also I notice in the comments there that lots of people (who probably haven't played the new Vox yet) are very vocal about how great the Katanas are.
    I think they're ok, having tried one in a shop recently when buying a guitar, but I didn't think it was amazing. For the money, fine, but there are some people saying to buy a Katana over these little desktop amps, presumably because it's a similar price point, but in reality the Katana aims at a different consumer altogether, it's a traditional guitar amp, 12 inch speaker, shouldn't be compared to the Vox or THR at all, with their stereo and full range little speakers. Very different amps altogether.

raysachs and Cliffyg62 like this.

7. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I already have a totally basic looper pedal I paid about $30 or 40 for on Amazon - I think it's a Chinese knockoff of the mini Ditto. So, keeping that is even cheaper! ;)

It does what I want on the odd occasion I want to use a looper - mostly I don't have it plugged in. When I do use a looper, it's just to try out some quick and dirty ideas so having a different lead sound from the rhythm doesn't much matter.

If I really want to get into some multi-track messing around with different sounds, that's what Garage Band is there for...

I guess if you used a looper in performance, it would be really good to have one in the amp like the GT40 or have one in an effects loop of an amp so you could run different pre-amp sounds through it. But I don't perform at all anymore and am not nearly proficient enough with the looper to use one live if I was...

-Ray

Cliffyg62 likes this.

8. Rasher

Rasher Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2008
    Brighton - England
    This is really interesting.

I'm old and set in my ways, and amps have valves. The greatest hurdle I'm finding to moving into the 21st century is the psychological one, but looking at the options and the price of the Princeton 65 that I am lusting after for home use, I think I need to put my prejudices aside and give this amp a go, although I'm slightly daunted by the technical aspect.

I was initially impressed on paper by the Fender GT40, but it may appear that the execution of the amp may be lacking and that the Vox is the better result. The looper on the Fender would be a sad loss and what impressed me about it is having one preset to record a loop, and then being able to play over it with a different tone. Any external looper is going to change the tone of the loop, so it now looks as if loops are better achieved on garageband, and maybe add some drums and bass too while I'm at it - but suddenly that's not a looper - that's recording. But unfortunately it seems that the Fender sounds poor in comparison to the Vox and Yamaha (sounds horrible in the YouTube vid) , so I think the Fender is off my list.

With these amps, I think I have zero justification for an old skool amp now, and I think I need to reevaluate the modern world and appreciate what we have been given here. It's a bit of a revolution, isn't it. And not much money, either. I get to save £1,000.

I appreciate the effort you are putting into this thread, Ray, and it is totally influencing what may happen this weekend with me and my wallet. The Vox does look horrible, though, and it just doesn't look like a guitar amp - it looks like a toy. I'm struggling with that. It's like selling your pickup truck and buying a Chevy Bolt.

raysachs and Cliffyg62 like this.

9. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Vox looks odd but sounds great. The gt40 isn't as bad as its made out to be. If you don't need the streaming capabilities consider the katana. The head with a really good small cab earcandy here in the us makes great ones, is great and if you need to go bigger all you need is a bigger cab.
    The vox is a great office amp and is loud enough and sounds good enough to be in the running. Don't let its looks throw you off unless that's important. Seems guitar people are more interested in looks than function or innovation. The thrs are great to. I've played the 10 and 10c. Hope you find the one you're looking for. Good luck. Oh and I must be the only person who actually likes the vox look and it fits on a shelf on my narrow desk but is still loud enough to get the cops called. I wonder if any of the critics of it and the gt40 have played either in the last six weeks or so...

10. Emster

Emster TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Jomtien
    I need battery power amps, as most playing is at local Thai beach. I have most sub $300 battery amps. Got Katana mini on last trip to the states (Fly 3 on steroids). Great for what it does, and cheap enough, but lacking bit of volume to keep up with Micro Cube. Boo hoo. Didn't know about the Adio til got back, but did find place that says they have it at near US prices.
    I don't care if has bluetooth, I like the looks, and about same weight as Mustang Mini. I have a THR 10 which sounds nice BUT has 2 weaknesses that keep me from hauling to beach: if you turn up too much, it just shuts down... that sucks. The effects are just too much and too sensitive, from 0-100 in 3 degrees of rotation. Did look at dimensions, and almost identical to THR, is that right? At least then I can use carry bag I got for the Yamaha. Hopefully it has enough volume to keep up with friends Micro Cube.

11. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I've never tried mine with batteries. But my understanding is the amp only has about 10% of the power with batteries as it does plugged in. It's more than loud enough plugged in, but I wouldn't expect a lot of volume playing on batteries. At least give it a try before you buy. It IS a battery powerable amp, but it doesn't sound like that's it's strength except for really low volume situations...

Emster and Cliffyg62 like this.

12. Emster

Emster TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Jomtien
    I got myself an Adio GT (no air... available only in certain places, like Thailand, where I happen to be). Shop didn't have batteries to check loudness, but delivers just enough for me. Love the sounds and nuances you can get. I am happy enough. That said, some criticisms:doesn't come with USB cable, assumes already have one (I do, but not in Bangkok). No local computer/phone shops had one for sale, wife borrowed one for me. The wait time used looking at what toneroom can do, and thought wow. Unfortunately, toneroom for Adio is minimalist, a few tweaks and extra amps but nothing like I could get if were full fledged (tears). My Fender Mustang Mini (at less than 1/2 the price when I got it) gives full range of options with their Fuse program, why couldn't Vox do the same? When switching from one amp to another can be great difference in output, and the cleaner amps fall short if trying to get heard while playing with someone who may have a Micro Cube. At least it doesn't shut down like THR. I'll compare that with Adio when I get back to my condo by the beach.
    If I didn't have necessity for battery operation, I think one of those amps with full toneroom would be my choice. I'm happy enough, but not ecstatic. Inside the park home run.

13. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

I'd like to hear more about the Vox Adio, I'm very interested.

14. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    There doesn't seem to be all that much information out there on it. There are a couple of Andertons You-Tubes, linked earlier in this thread. And I think this thread and another one on The Gear Page probably have about as much information on it as anything I've seen.

I'd been playing a VT40X after spending time with two Fenders (Mustang ! v2, GT40), a Bugera V5, a Blues Cube, and the smaller Vox VT20X, and trying several others in stores (including a Katana, Orange, Yamaha, a few others) before I tried an Adio Air. For me, strictly a man-cave player, it's perfect. Funky looking, but perfect. I got a bad one first, but exchanged it after a few days and the new one has been going strong for a couple of months or more now.

I've got eight sounds dialed into the amp preset buttons and several others I store in the app (which I can use wirelessly and it works seamlessly, a place I never got with the GT40's bluetooth app). I love the sounds I can get out of this little amp. And it can get much louder than I'll ever play it in my condo. It's not quite as feature rich as the larger Vox VTX amps, but at the volume I can play at, it sounds just as good, even damn near as good as the VT40X (10" speaker) in the low end, which really surprised me. We relocate for 2-3 months every winter and now my amp is small enough to take with me.

If you live in the "Heartland of America", you must have a Guitar Center or other music shop nearby. Most of the GCs (oh wow, auto correct just changed GC to Gas - how perfect is that?) around here seem to have these in stock. If you have a GC, give 'em a call. If they don't have one, order one and check it out. Their 45 day return period makes it a pretty risk free proposition... Or any other music store you have nearby should be able to get one also. Only way to know if it's for you is to play it...

Emster, Cliffyg62 and mnutz like this.

15. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Thanks! That's some good info.

I'm 3 hours away from the nearest Guitar Center. I do have a music store 1 hour away, but they are pretty limited, don't have the Vox, and also don't sell any used gear. That's why I pretty much have to buy new, and buy online.

I'm trying to play at VERY low volume and get bearable crunch tones. In my situation headphones don't really work. Out of everything I've tried, plugging a digital modeling pedal into a Hi-Fi actually sounds best, but is still lacking. Which leads me to think this new Vox, or the THR10, might be my best option.

16. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    It can get pretty quiet with any of it's sounds, including very high gain stuff. But, of course, any of those sounds, clean or dirty, need a LITTLE bit of volume to sound good. I've had the Orange high gain model down so low I could barely hear it, but when I put my ear down to it, what I could hear was still screaming, just screaming really quietly... ;)

Cliffyg62 and mnutz like this.

17. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Man, I do not play this thing enough as it’s in my office. Get the app, make and save your presets and wail on it.
    Anyone know where I can get a second power supply?

18. William Pugh

William Pugh TDPRI Member

Mar 25, 2016
    Quebec
    Check ebay. I found one there.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

19. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Thanks...

20. NeonFrog

NeonFrog NEW MEMBER!

Nov 13, 2017
    London, UK
    Hi Guys, I'm currently looking at purchasing my first electric set up. The amp will be limited to apartment only.

There's a lot of negativity towards the Mustang GT40 but I was wondering whether this has been resolved via firmware updates?
    The GT40 has a major benefit over all of the other amps which qualify for home-use from what I can find and that is the FX loop and looper. I'm trying to find the limitations on effects.. the Adio you can only have two at a time and have to choose between reverb or delay and a mod.. I believe??
    And with the Adio you can't add a looper pedal?
    The looper will lead to some great fun at home I think.
    How are you guys getting along with these?
    And should I be considering any other amps?

Thanks for your input..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.