Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

VOX Adio Air GT

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by adamsappel, Jun 7, 2017.

1. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Meister

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    OK, the glitch, so far at least, appears pretty specific. It happens in one particular preset when I turn up the volume on the physical dial. And it's repeatable. It hesitates for many seconds, and then it surges. Very disconcerting. But it doesn't happen anywhere else that I can tell and now that I've tweaked that preset, it doesn't happen there either. So unless it pops up agains somewhere else, I'm gonna write it off and not worry about it.

And I did check out turning the "time" dial (in the app) on the delay effects while letting a chord ring out. I wouldn't exactly call it a "clicking" sound, but there's definitely a lot of noise or static in the sound while you're turning the knob. It seems to happen with all of the delays effects they give you to choose from. I wouldn't worry about it unless you tend to change the timing of the delay while your playing as an effect or something. Otherwise, it doesn't happen once you have the time of the delay set. This doesn't surprise me given the amount of computer stuff going on in amps like this. And I didn't find anything of the sort when I used the tap button to change the timing... I suppose I could check it with the VT40X to see if it happens there too, but I wasn't planning on plugging that back in unless I decide to return the Adio.

I did hook the VT40X back up for a few minutes yesterday and it's a funny thing. When I play them back to back, I can definitely tell that the VT40X is a fuller sounding amp, arguably a bit better sounding as well. But it's not nearly as big a difference as I'd expect. And then when I turn off the VT40X and just play the Adio, it sounds great and it doesn't seem to be lacking anything at all. So it only in a really direct comparison and not that much. Based on the lifestyle advantages the Adio creates for me, I'll definitely be keeping it if no more glitches come up that I can't solve.

One other thing. I'd never hooked an amp up directly to my Mac and run Garage Band before. The VTX amps have a USB port but they don't do that - the USB is ONLY for running the app. But I plugged the Adio into my mac laptop and ran Garage Band and it works really seamlessly. And it's a two way link, so it'll play back what you're doing through the amp so you don't have to use headphones to monitor what you're playing. I haven't done any recording in years, since the days of a little 4-track Fostex cassette deck in the early '80s. It might be kind of fun to play around with that. Another reason to keep this little amp...

-Ray

Riversider likes this.

2. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Meister

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Well, that's kind of how Vox advertises it too, so what's your point?

And it sounds a whole lot louder and more powerful plugged in than it does on batteries, so I guess it's a bit more than that as well...

Hey, what part of Tucson are you from? I grew up there and still get back from time to time...

-Ray

Riversider and Cliffyg62 like this.

3. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Holic

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    NW, adjacent I10 at Cortaro Farms area.

raysachs likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Thanks for checking the time control thing. Glad to know your other glitch isn't such an issue too.
    You hit the nail on the head for me when you said that the lifestyle advantages the Adio offers outweigh these little quirks. It's perfect for what I want, i.e an improved THR type amp.
    Something I have noticed too is that if I am using my iPad, say, and connect to the app, but then connect the iPad to the Vox in YouTube to stream backing tracks, there's a slight issue due to YouTube not running in the background (I don't think Apple allow them to yet, or they haven't agreed the fee or somesuch) - anyway, it means that when you set your backing track playing and then decide to re-enter the app to change yr amp settings on the fly, there is a brief 'pause' as the app reconnects.
    To get around this I have discovered that the Adio takes two Bluetooth connections (may be obvious to the more tech aware reader
    !?) so I connect my iPhone to the Adio as a Bluetooth speaker, and my iPad as a Bluetooth MIDI device, as both options are listed when searching for connections.
    There may be an easier way to do this that doesn't use two devices but this works the most seamlessly for me and allows uninterrupted use of both apps, the Vox one and YouTube.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

6. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    For the record, this doesn't happen with my other apps that can run in the background playing backing tracks, etc.
    It seems to be purely a YouTube thing.

7. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Meant to say, I've spent a few hours today with the Vox, still very pleased with it, connected the headphone out to my home stereo (Arcam Alpha 6+ amp and Acoustic Energy floorstanders) and it sounds very good indeed. Worth trying if you want more volume/separation.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

8. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Meister

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Well, I think I got a bad one. Later yesterday and last night that volume dropping and swelling problem really asserted itself. It wasn't a constant problem, but happened several times over the course of a few hours of playing. And not in any sort of predictable manner either. It was dramatic enough that my wife noticed it from the other room once, or maybe it was my swearing as it was happening... ;). Since nobody else among the handful of other owners I've seen here and on The Gear Page have reported anything like this, I'm assuming it's just a problem with my amp, not a generalized problem. So I'm having Guitar Center send another one and i'm gonna exchange this one. Hoping for the best with the second one because I REALLY like this amp. It's kind of a perfect match for me at this point if I get a reliable one.

-Ray

9. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    That's a shame, Ive not had those issues myself, hope the new one is better.
    I've mainly been using mine with backing tracks today though, maybe tomorrow will spend more time looking at other stuff, although I have been going through all the different amp models today, with no problem, as I've been playing to jam tracks.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

10. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Meister

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    My replacement showed up yesterday and so far so good. I'll likely be nervous for a few days looking for telltale signs of the volume swells and drops I had with the first one. I barely noticed them at first and they were extremely infrequent. By Monday, when I last tried to play it, it was happening almost constantly, damn near like a built in volume pedal always working. Particularly on higher gain settings, it had gotten to the point where it was unplayable. But the new one sounds great (as did the first one before the problem developed) and, since I haven't heard of anyone else having problems with this amp, I'm going all in. When I returned the faulty one this morning, I also took back the VT40X I've had for several weeks. So the Adio is my only amp (actually not true, I still have a Roland Micro-Cube sitting around here somewhere that I've had for about 10-15 years or so). Nice to go minimalist when it delivers like this little guy does...

-Ray

11. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    HNAD! Again...

Hope you got a good one this time.

Still enjoying mine, the more I tweak the sounds the more I'm impressed.
    The THR has some good tones but I think I've improved on each of its best models with judicious adjustments on the Vox.
    I use the Bluetooth constantly, for tweaking tones and playing backing tracks.
    The volume is a little greater than the THR, but once I've sold my THR I may still look at a GT40 to fill the space by my TV and take the output from my Trio. The Vox can happily take up residence on my shelf unit where the THR lives.
    Unless I test the GT40 and think it sucks I expect I'll end up with one of those too, just for a fuller bass sound, although the Vox is no slouch, considering its size.
    Main thing I love with the Vox is that it just does everything my THR does, but a little better. The app is the icing on the cake, I use it all the tone and it's not glitchy at all beyond the delay-based thing we mentioned before, which is no big deal to me.
    Well done, Vox.

Cliffyg62 and raysachs like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.