Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

VOX Adio Air GT

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by adamsappel, Jun 7, 2017.

1. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    OK, the glitch, so far at least, appears pretty specific. It happens in one particular preset when I turn up the volume on the physical dial. And it's repeatable. It hesitates for many seconds, and then it surges. Very disconcerting. But it doesn't happen anywhere else that I can tell and now that I've tweaked that preset, it doesn't happen there either. So unless it pops up agains somewhere else, I'm gonna write it off and not worry about it.

And I did check out turning the "time" dial (in the app) on the delay effects while letting a chord ring out. I wouldn't exactly call it a "clicking" sound, but there's definitely a lot of noise or static in the sound while you're turning the knob. It seems to happen with all of the delays effects they give you to choose from. I wouldn't worry about it unless you tend to change the timing of the delay while your playing as an effect or something. Otherwise, it doesn't happen once you have the time of the delay set. This doesn't surprise me given the amount of computer stuff going on in amps like this. And I didn't find anything of the sort when I used the tap button to change the timing... I suppose I could check it with the VT40X to see if it happens there too, but I wasn't planning on plugging that back in unless I decide to return the Adio.

I did hook the VT40X back up for a few minutes yesterday and it's a funny thing. When I play them back to back, I can definitely tell that the VT40X is a fuller sounding amp, arguably a bit better sounding as well. But it's not nearly as big a difference as I'd expect. And then when I turn off the VT40X and just play the Adio, it sounds great and it doesn't seem to be lacking anything at all. So it only in a really direct comparison and not that much. Based on the lifestyle advantages the Adio creates for me, I'll definitely be keeping it if no more glitches come up that I can't solve.

One other thing. I'd never hooked an amp up directly to my Mac and run Garage Band before. The VTX amps have a USB port but they don't do that - the USB is ONLY for running the app. But I plugged the Adio into my mac laptop and ran Garage Band and it works really seamlessly. And it's a two way link, so it'll play back what you're doing through the amp so you don't have to use headphones to monitor what you're playing. I haven't done any recording in years, since the days of a little 4-track Fostex cassette deck in the early '80s. It might be kind of fun to play around with that. Another reason to keep this little amp...

-Ray

Riversider likes this.

2. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Well, that's kind of how Vox advertises it too, so what's your point?

And it sounds a whole lot louder and more powerful plugged in than it does on batteries, so I guess it's a bit more than that as well...

Hey, what part of Tucson are you from? I grew up there and still get back from time to time...

-Ray

Riversider and Cliffyg62 like this.

3. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    NW, adjacent I10 at Cortaro Farms area.

raysachs likes this.

4. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Thanks for checking the time control thing. Glad to know your other glitch isn't such an issue too.
    You hit the nail on the head for me when you said that the lifestyle advantages the Adio offers outweigh these little quirks. It's perfect for what I want, i.e an improved THR type amp.
    Something I have noticed too is that if I am using my iPad, say, and connect to the app, but then connect the iPad to the Vox in YouTube to stream backing tracks, there's a slight issue due to YouTube not running in the background (I don't think Apple allow them to yet, or they haven't agreed the fee or somesuch) - anyway, it means that when you set your backing track playing and then decide to re-enter the app to change yr amp settings on the fly, there is a brief 'pause' as the app reconnects.
    To get around this I have discovered that the Adio takes two Bluetooth connections (may be obvious to the more tech aware reader
    !?) so I connect my iPhone to the Adio as a Bluetooth speaker, and my iPad as a Bluetooth MIDI device, as both options are listed when searching for connections.
    There may be an easier way to do this that doesn't use two devices but this works the most seamlessly for me and allows uninterrupted use of both apps, the Vox one and YouTube.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

5. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    For the record, this doesn't happen with my other apps that can run in the background playing backing tracks, etc.
    It seems to be purely a YouTube thing.

6. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Meant to say, I've spent a few hours today with the Vox, still very pleased with it, connected the headphone out to my home stereo (Arcam Alpha 6+ amp and Acoustic Energy floorstanders) and it sounds very good indeed. Worth trying if you want more volume/separation.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

7. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Well, I think I got a bad one. Later yesterday and last night that volume dropping and swelling problem really asserted itself. It wasn't a constant problem, but happened several times over the course of a few hours of playing. And not in any sort of predictable manner either. It was dramatic enough that my wife noticed it from the other room once, or maybe it was my swearing as it was happening... ;). Since nobody else among the handful of other owners I've seen here and on The Gear Page have reported anything like this, I'm assuming it's just a problem with my amp, not a generalized problem. So I'm having Guitar Center send another one and i'm gonna exchange this one. Hoping for the best with the second one because I REALLY like this amp. It's kind of a perfect match for me at this point if I get a reliable one.

-Ray

8. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    That's a shame, Ive not had those issues myself, hope the new one is better.
    I've mainly been using mine with backing tracks today though, maybe tomorrow will spend more time looking at other stuff, although I have been going through all the different amp models today, with no problem, as I've been playing to jam tracks.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

9. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    My replacement showed up yesterday and so far so good. I'll likely be nervous for a few days looking for telltale signs of the volume swells and drops I had with the first one. I barely noticed them at first and they were extremely infrequent. By Monday, when I last tried to play it, it was happening almost constantly, damn near like a built in volume pedal always working. Particularly on higher gain settings, it had gotten to the point where it was unplayable. But the new one sounds great (as did the first one before the problem developed) and, since I haven't heard of anyone else having problems with this amp, I'm going all in. When I returned the faulty one this morning, I also took back the VT40X I've had for several weeks. So the Adio is my only amp (actually not true, I still have a Roland Micro-Cube sitting around here somewhere that I've had for about 10-15 years or so). Nice to go minimalist when it delivers like this little guy does...

-Ray

Cliffyg62 likes this.

10. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    HNAD! Again...

Hope you got a good one this time.

Still enjoying mine, the more I tweak the sounds the more I'm impressed.
    The THR has some good tones but I think I've improved on each of its best models with judicious adjustments on the Vox.
    I use the Bluetooth constantly, for tweaking tones and playing backing tracks.
    The volume is a little greater than the THR, but once I've sold my THR I may still look at a GT40 to fill the space by my TV and take the output from my Trio. The Vox can happily take up residence on my shelf unit where the THR lives.
    Unless I test the GT40 and think it sucks I expect I'll end up with one of those too, just for a fuller bass sound, although the Vox is no slouch, considering its size.
    Main thing I love with the Vox is that it just does everything my THR does, but a little better. The app is the icing on the cake, I use it all the tone and it's not glitchy at all beyond the delay-based thing we mentioned before, which is no big deal to me.
    Well done, Vox.

Cliffyg62 and raysachs like this.

11. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Seems this one is good. Funny how after you get something faulty you're kind of paranoid about the replacement, being hyper-aware looking for the same problem to emerge. Well, I've been playing this one a LOT for the past several days and no burps, no farts, nothing weird about it at all. Sounds freaking great. As much as I liked the larger VT40X, I don't miss it at all. I have my 8 presets set up - I pretty much had them with the first amp and just imported them into this one, with a few minor tweaks since. Use four of them much more than the other four, so the four most used are on the green bank and the others are on the red bank. For the first time in a few months I'm just PLAYING the amp and not really thinking about it much, since I've played basically everything I was interested in and know this is the amp for me at this point. And, unless I start playing with drummers or in front of audiences again, it's honestly all the amp I'm likely to want or need.

And I gotta say (not specific to the Adio), as someone who's relatively newly back into playing a lot, after many years of only occasionally picking up a guitar, I FREAKING LOVE PRESETS! In the good old days I had my nice sounding tube amps, could sometimes play them loud enough to get the best sounds out of them, but if I had a sublime sound dialed in, as soon as I'd leave it and go look for another sublime sound, I'd always have trouble getting precisely back to the first sublime sound. So when I nailed one, a lot of times I just wouldn't leave it no matter how much it didn't suit what I was playing at the moment. We all have our strengths and weaknesses and re-dialing a great amp sound after leaving it was never a strength of mine!

Presets are just a god-send to me. When I nail a sublime sound, I just save it. With a new amp, when I have a dozen or so of them saved (some in the app if needed, depending on how many slots the amp has), I go through them all and tweak them and eventually narrow them down to more like 6-8. And once I have my favorites in my amp in some sort of logical order (generally clean to dirty with various gradations in between) and with the volume appropriately balanced so I can switch from one to another without any big volume surges or drops, I'm kind of in heaven. Just being able to go from one sound to another knowing i can instantly get back to where I was at the touch of a button has freed up my playing in great ways. I tend to be playing the right sound for the situation now instead of just sticking with a good one because I don't know if I'll ever quite find it again. I've tried a number of amps during the past few months and loved the sound of a couple that didn't have presets, but I love the sounds in the modelers just about as much, and now having played amps with pre-sets and found they're at or above my threshold for good sounding amps, I don't think I'll ever own one that doesn't do presets again. For me, they're about the best feature of the new modern digital (or semi-digital) amps...

-Ray

Cliffyg62 and Erjimipey like this.

12. Erjimipey

Erjimipey TDPRI Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Granada, Spain
    Ray, given the low amount of videos of the Adio out there, would you consider recording something? I'd love to hear the feel of this amp in a normal room, even if recorded on a phone camera...

Thanks for all your inputs, anyway. Keep on posting!

13. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I've done some recording in the distant past, but have never done any sort of video - I guess it would have to be an iPhone video, so you wouldn't really be able to tell much about the sound, although you'd get a pretty immediate idea of how limited my playing is! I may try it, and then I'd have to judge whether it came out well enough to be worth posting. Not promising anything, but I'll play around with it and see if I can come up with anything... If you don't see anything, it's because I didn't judge it worth putting up...

BTW, you live in a beautiful city. I spent a few weeks there in 1981. I had a good friend who spent a year there as part of a college program and I hung out there in the summer and used Granada as a base to explore much of southern Spain from. I loved it. I guess that was a few years before you were there though, judging from your age... ;)

-Ray

14. Erjimipey

Erjimipey TDPRI Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Granada, Spain
    Hehehe, I was born in 1985 and I was actually born in Málaga, another city in the south of Spain. I've been living in Granada for a number of years now, and it's really beautiful here, indeed, I'm glad you visited it.

And don't worry about the videos, no pressure, I know what you mean about your playing as I am only learning the basics at the moment and don't go a lot beyond the rhythm guitar in "Rock you like a hurricane" or the typical chord strumming in some Tom Petty things... I just like to listen to good tones because I am a gear fan as well as a music one.

Cheers!

raysachs and Cliffyg62 like this.

15. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Hey Ray, hope you don't mind the question but for those of us who never played the actual amps being modeled, just how close do the models come? I really wanted to get a tube amp but realized I'd never really be able to play it properly. I got knocks playing a thr10 so getting a deluxe reverb or hot rod is probably not going to happen... I'm just curious. Btw, great post. Thanks from all of us uninitiated...

16. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I've been around a long time, but haven't played all that much stuff, so I'm just going by what I like, not how close any of them are to accurate. My tube amps have been a Peavy Classic waaaaay back in the day (I think it was 60 watts, two by 10 or 12 (don't recall which) and a Blues Jr that I got right around when they were introduced mid-90s and had for maybe 12-13 years. I've plugged into a couple of big Fenders that friends owned, but I couldn't tell you what they were. Oh, and I had a Bugera V5 for a few weeks a few months ago.

So I've NEVER played any of the amps being modeled here. I've played three Vox modeling amps, but never an actual AC30 or other Vox tube amp. Lord knows I've never played a Dumble! I love the Vox modeling of the Dumble (on all three Vox modeling amps I've used in the past couple months), but as I've said before - it's like watching a movie about Christopher Columbus - you'd know if you liked the performance but you'd never know how close it was to the real guy since nobody around today ever met him... I like the 1959 Marshall, but the only familiarity I have is that I'm a 1959 model myself, so I feel some affinity for it. The metal amps - no idea, never played any of them. So, basically, no idea how accurate any of them are - I just know that I can get sounds I like quite easily out of any of about 6-8 amp models they include.

I can say that I can get the Dumble clean model sounding EXACTLY like the Bugera V5 I had for a while. I was trying to decide whether I could live with a modeling amp and return the Bugera, since it just never sounded that good at the low volumes I currently want and need to play at and really needed to be turned up to sound it's best. I couldn't come close to matching the sound of the Bugera with a Fender Mustang I tried, but when I got the Vox VT20X, I was able to use the Dumble clean channel to match the Bugera to the point that once I had it dialed, I did a blind test (with my wife moving the plug back and forth between amps) and I couldn't tell you which was which. And as close as the Adio sounds to the VT20X and VT40X, I'm quite confident the same would have happened with the Adio and Bugera too, if I'd had them both at the same time.

BTW, I just tried to do a quick and dirty iPhone video and it will never be seen or heard by anyone else! My self-conscious playing aside, I don't think you could really get much of a feel for the sounds coming from the amp through that little iPhone mic. You'd probably get a better idea if I did something recording straight to garage band with the USB, but I haven't really worked that out yet either and probably won't anytime real soon. I assume that some familiar YouTube regulars will get around to demo-ing and reviewing this amp fairly soon, and any contribution I'd have made wouldn't have been worth posting anyway.

-Ray

Riversider, Erjimipey and Cliffyg62 like this.

17. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Thanks Ray. I almost got the bugera since i have the 112 cab. Then the whole pushing the valves thing finally clicked and i realized I'd never be able to do it. (Why are attenuators so expensive? ) think I'll stick with modelers. Relatively new to all this but this is a great time to be in it. Love the vox love the gt40, love the Marshall code 25. Should move two so I've been going back and forth and each is great in their own ways. Good usable guitars at affordable prices. Great time to play. ... who could have ever sampled an ac30, 1959, and a dumble from an office chair at lunch. ... keep on rocking buddy. Someday I'll learn lead guitar. ..

18. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    The Bugera had one built in - it had 5 watt, 0.5 watt, and 0.1 watt settings. But I just wasn't that impressed with it at the lower settings. You really needed to open it up and be able to drive it to get it's best sound. Maybe a more expensive attenuator would do it better - I couldn't tell you.

But generally I think the solid state amp folks do a better job of maintaining their best tones at lower volumes. The Roland/Boss folks have that pretty nailed. I played a Roland Blues Cube Hot for a while and that amp sounded INCREDIBLE at the .5 watt setting, even having some really full bass you could still feel in your gut at low volume. I loved the basic sound of that amp, but it was way overkill for me, was pretty big for my space, was too much $$$, and it doesn't have any way of saving settings. I've heard the Katana amps are also really good at those lower power settings, but I haven't played one for more than a few minutes in a shop.

And, frankly, when I tested the VT20X against the Bugera, I was doing it at relatively high volume, where the Bugera could breathe enough to sound really good. But when I lowered the volume on that it lost a lot, while the VT20X sounded just as good, arguably even a bit better at lower volume than when it was getting up towards cranked... So, if you're playing out and can use the volume (and you haven't become a preset junkie like I have), there's still a lot to be said for tube amps. But for a small space, lower volume amp, I just can't see the point anymore...

Cliffyg62 likes this.

19. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Agreed on this last point, especially if you're going for dirty tones.
    I have a Bassbreaker 15 (tube), and a Blackstar HT1R (tube) with a 112. Both are too loud for home use really, yet I only play at home.....
    Clean sounds are good at lower volumes, but to get great gain tones from these amps they really need to be a lot louder than I usually can use them at home.
    The Vox is a great little amp. The Dumble clean tones are superb, my favourite of the clean models available. I haven't played any of the real amps it models either, but I do own the tube amps mentioned above, plus have owned a Peavey Bravo many years ago, and tried playing through a Blues Junior before buying the Bassbreaker.
    If it helps, I can say that I prefer nearly all of the models on the Vox to other modellers I have owned, including all three Yamaha THRs and a Fender Mustang 1 v2.
    The Vox sounds bigger than the THRs, with way more models and features of course, but it also has more convincing tones, especially after tweaking. I could get a lot of good sounds out of the THRs, but not so many GREAT sounds I was happy with for long....and so id end up constantly tweaking them. The Vox has more organic sounds in my opinion, and is capable of much better cleans and gain tones - the middle ground between cleans and higher gain stuff is where the THR gives it the best competition, but really, even there, I'm convinced the Vox wins the matchup.
    The Mustang I had just sounded very processed and not as good as either Vox or THR.

I did also own a Fender Super Champ X2 for a while, which is sort of part tube/part digital modeller, depending on who you believe (regarding how it generates most of its tones).

The X2 had some nice sounds, mainly lovely cleans as I remember, and I only sold it to move up to the Bassbreaker or I could easily have kept that one.

Hope some of this rambling might be useful to someone....

raysachs and Cliffyg62 like this.

20. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Chappers and Captain compare the Aido GT, THR10 and MGT40.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.