Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

VOX Adio Air GT

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by adamsappel, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Tryin no to make me get that X huh? Had both the 10 and 10C two different amps. I single coiled the C and humbuckered the 10. Good luck...

2. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Re the THR10X - one good thing about that one is that it has the CLEAN (Deluxe) model that's on the THR10C. It's a great model, too. I sold my THR10X to a guy I work with who plays Slash in a GnR tribute band, he uses more gain than me in general, but the Deluxe is his favourite/most used model, funnily enough.

The THR10 regular was, for me, a little lacking in character - some models were a bit bland. Both the X and C THRs lasted longer in my house. I have high hopes that the Vox Adio can keep my 10C company now.....ordered it today.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

3. Erjimipey

Erjimipey TDPRI Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Granada, Spain
    Hey, I'm very interested in this thread. I've been reading the forum for ages, but you got me so curious that I need to ask: how does the Adio compare to its competitors as for its sound through headphones?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Cliffyg62 likes this.

4. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Too soon for me to know, but because I have tinnitus I no longer use headphones.
    However, I do use the headphone out (with my Yamaha THR) and I send it to a home hifi amp and speakers, it sounds very good indeed. I hope the Vox will too. ....

Erjimipey likes this.

5. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I haven't tried it yet. I found that with almost every other amp with a headphone jack, it was just OK, or worse. I have one of the little $40 Vox Amplug headphone amps and that sounds really quite good, so on the rare occasion I want to play into headphones, I just use that. Also, since its attached to the guitar, it's easy to run the cord around my back so it doesn't get mixed up with my arms and hands when I'm playing, which is sometimes a hassle when I plug headphones into an amp. I think the VTX amps are relatively bad with headphones, but maybe they thought that was more important with the Adio. I'll try to remember to check - I have mostly crummy headphones though, but the Amplug seems to sound better through cheap iPhone earbuds than through better phones...

-Ray

Erjimipey likes this.

6. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Was just using it last night. It's pretty good but I'll need to hook up a good set to be sure. So far so good. As always, be gentle with the jack. Don't skimp on headphones with these devices unless it's just for late night noodling. Audio technica is a great way to go. My cheap samsons were ok but a touch weak.

Erjimipey likes this.

7. Erjimipey

Erjimipey TDPRI Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Granada, Spain
    Thanks for your answers, guys. I'm currently using a Palmer Pocket Amp with a set of Sennheiser 205, and as you can imagine, it's far from ideal. I'll keep on reviewing this conversation, cause I think I am going to follow your lead and grab a Vox Adio...

Cliffyg62 likes this.

8. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    I need to pull out my vox metal lil amp. That thing was fun. Good luck. If yiu can audition it, take the headphones along. I may test it tonight with the good set. ATs 50s are great. Lil expensive but i just wait for a sale... get flat eq ones. Skullcandies and the dre ones had too much bass for me. Take em off and you have to re eq the amp. Took this dummy a lil while to figger that one out.

Erjimipey likes this.

9. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Just tried it too. At first it was pretty disappointing, but I think part of that is they understandably drop the volume so you won't blow your eardrums. Once I turned it up just a bit, it sounded pretty good. Oddly, better through my iPhone earbuds than a set of over the ears phones, but I may not have figured out to turn it up until I had the iPhone buds in. I'd say on par with the Amplug, which I think is pretty good, but with the advantage of all of your presets and all of the amps models.

With a bit more use, I'm really liking using the app via bluetooth, really convenient. I probably won't use it much after a while, but I'm still tweaking my presets, and it comes in really handy then...

-Ray

Cliffyg62 and Erjimipey like this.

10. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Yup! Good headphones check out. They lower the volume so ya don't go deaf.

Erjimipey likes this.

11. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Just had about an hour on my new Adio. It's superb. Initial impressions are that it's a bit louder than the Yamaha (I'll put them alongside each other at the weekend to A/B a few things) and it has better models, mostly.

Before I say more, can anyone else confirm that this happens to them and that I don't have a faulty unit - when using any delay effect, if I adjust the Time control whilst still sounding out a chord, say, there is a strange, loud clicking noise as you turn the virtual knob. I only really do this to make noises / add textures for fun when using my real delay pedal, for example on dub reggae stuff, but on the Vox it's the only thing I've found so far that disappointed, it's pretty intrusive.

The models need more exploration, but so far, so good - really impressed. Love the Brit verb! The Texas SRV model is a lot of fun, too.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Cliffyg62 and Erjimipey like this.

12. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Hmm - I tend to keep a bit of reverb dialed in so I've only played with the delay briefly and I changed the timing with the tap button. And found no such noises. Haven't tried it with the app. So can't confirm or deny.

That British verb is the Orange amp and that thing's an absolute screamer on the Adio and the VTX amps. I tend not to be a fan of super high gain amps - I can do without a lot of the ones they offer - but I love that one too. I have a preset with it, as I did on the VTX amps. I don't actually use it a much - I just don't play much music where it fits. But when I need some primal scream therapy, that'll get it done... ;)

I'm finding a lot more use for the Bassman on this amp than on the larger models. It's hidden in the app on the Adio, where it's featured on the selector knob on the others. Maybe because this amp can't go as deep and flabby with the bass, it tightens up the sound of this amp some and brings it into my sweet spot. But I'm really finding a lot more use for it now. Along with the two Dumbles (Boutique clean and OD), the AC30 TB, and the '59 Marshall...

-Ray

Erjimipey, Cliffyg62 and Riversider like this.

13. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Thanks Ray. I noticed a little 'whooshing' noise on the Time control on reverb effects too, actually, not as noticeable though. Only happens through the app. It doesn't bother me too much, if everyone else has it too. Bit annoying though if it was just my amp, as that might be a sign of something else amiss. I doubt it though, its probably just a software thing and in real terms I won't likely use the amp that way when playing that often.

Yeah, the Bassman sounds good, agreed. I actually prefer it to the Bassman model on a Fender Mustang II that I had after my first Valvetronix. After that I owned a Super Champ X2 for a while, that was a good little amp and also had a decent Bassman model, as well as a lovely 65 Deluxe. But that's a different sort of amp....so, getting back to the Adio, it's definitely a cool bit of gear for the money and for the tiny space it inhabits. I will probably sell my THR now in all honesty. There are a couple of models I'll miss a little, the Deluxe on the THR and the Matchless DC30 are my favourites. I think with some tweaking I should be able to get the Deluxe covered with the Adio model, although initial impressions are that the THR version of that amp has the edge. I haven't had much time to really dig into the Adio yet though.
    Strangely enough, my first impressions of the Vox AC30 models on the Adio aren't so great - I'd have thought they would be the best and easiest for Vox to get right, and perhaps they are indeed 'correct', but they don't stand out to me just yet. I look forward to tweaking the settings over the weekend and finding out more about what I can do with these models though.
    Overall though I'm really happy .... can't wait to get home from work to play.

Erjimipey likes this.

14. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    nick0, Cliffyg62 and Erjimipey like this.

15. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Thanks Ray. I noticed a little 'whooshing' noise on the Time control on reverb effects too, actually, not as noticeable though. Only happens through the app. It doesn't bother me too much, if everyone else has it too. Bit annoying though if it was just my amp, as that might be a sign of something else amiss. I doubt it though, its probably just a software thing and in real terms I won't likely use the amp that way when playing that often.

Yeah, the Bassman sounds good, agreed. I actually prefer it to the Bassman model on a Fender Mustang II that I had after my first Valvetronix. After that I owned a Super Champ X2 for a while, that was a good little amp and also had a decent Bassman model, as well as a lovely 65 Deluxe. But that's a different sort of amp....so, getting back to the Adio, it's definitely a cool bit of gear for the money and for the tiny space it inhabits. I will probably sell my THR now in all honesty. There are a couple of models I'll miss a little, the Deluxe on the THR and the Matchless DC30 are my favourites. I think with some tweaking I should be able to get the Deluxe covered with the Adio model, although initial impressions are that the THR version of that amp has the edge. I haven't had much time to really dig into the Adio yet though.
    Strangely enough, my first impressions of the Vox AC30 models on the Adio aren't so great - I'd have thought they would be the best and easiest for Vox to get right, and perhaps they are indeed 'correct', but they don't stand out to me just yet. I look forward to tweaking the settings over the weekend and finding out more about what I can do with these models though.
    Overall though I'm really happy .... can't wait to get home from work to play.

16. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I never found a use for the AC30 on the VTX amps either. I'm sure they're accurate - maybe just not my taste. So I won't go out and buy an AC30 when I get famous. ;) I have a decent crunch sound with the AC30 TB on the Adio though. Most of my gain sounds end up being more sustained lead sounds and I often have trouble dialing just the right amount of crunch for a good Stones or ZZ Top type rhythm. I sort of backed into this one, but I'm keeping it until I find something that works better...

-Ray

Erjimipey likes this.

17. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    OK, I've noticed what may be a glitch. Not sure yet, I've only noticed it a couple of times and I'm not sure I can isolate what causes it or when it's likely to happen. But I THINK it's when I pull up a preset, start playing, and then adjust the volume with the main volume knob in the amp controls, NOT the master or "instrument" volume knob. I'll adjust the volume there, not in the app, but on the amp, and it'll maybe change a little bit, but then I'll play a while and at some point in the next minute or two, there will be a much more notable change in the volume in the direction I adjusted it. Like there's some sort of disconnect between the amp settings when in preset mode and the physical controls on the amp. I then play on for several minutes in that setting with no more mis-behavior. I know that's how it happened this morning. The other time I noticed something similar I can't say that's how it happened - I didn't have any idea what I'd just done at that point. And I haven't been able to re-create it on purpose. I've done the same sequence of events a few times since with no other weird behavior. If it only happens once in a blue moon, it won't be enough to put me off the amp, but if it becomes a regular occurrence, it would really bother me and probably cause me to return it. I'll keep an ear open for it and I'll let you know if I can isolate the pattern any more or if it becomes any sort of a regular issue. So far I've noticed it twice, once when I could tell you what seemed to precipitate it, once when I wasn't paying close enough attention. If anyone else notices something similar let me know. If it's a programming issue, I'll figure Vox may be able to fix it with a firmware upgrade at some point. If it's just mine and it happens with any regularity, I'll likely return the amp...

-Ray

18. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    This hasn't happened to me yet, but I'll put in some time over the weekend and let you know if it does. Shame, and I don't know with Vox how they'll handle firmware upgrades but I'd like to think they'll address any such glitches. Have you tried using the app to rapidly adjust the Time control on delay FX yet? Get a funny noise at all? That's bugging me even though it's a minor thing. It won't stop me keeping the amp, but if I get the issue you have as well, I might have to start thinking about it.
    The tones are so good so far though, I'd hate to have enough reasons to return it......to me, the THR has dominated this mRket space for long enough, and I think Vox have the basics right with this product to muscle in and steal a lot of sales, even if they're a little late to the party.

19. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Not sure about the app issue but having fun with what I think is the Orange setting. I tried moving knobs as chord played no issue. Great Bluetooth so far so good...

20. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    MY translation: a street-musicians BOOM-BOX, with bells and whistles.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.