Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

VOX Adio Air GT

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by adamsappel, Jun 7, 2017.

1. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Captain and Chappers review the new VOX lunchbox amp:

http://www.voxamps.com/AdioAirGT

Well, this throws a wrinkle into the Fender Mustang GT40 mix (what is it with the GT suffix all of a sudden?). I'm a big fan of VOX modeling. My favorite little amp is a VOX DA-5, I quite like my VOX AV30, I have a JamVOX which isn't much to speak of, and overall I like that jangly VOX sound, even when modeled by other amps. As shown in the video, this seems like a direct competitor to the THR-10 (which is great as well). It's got a weird look, kind of a plasticky bloated purse thing. Also comes in a bass version.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2016
    Dublin, CA
    Vox modeling is no doubt great, nice alternative to the THR or GT40 for sure.

3. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    Looks interesting, but not $300 worth of interesting. I'd expect it to be half of that price. For that much I'll take the katana head with built-in speaker and put it inside a second hand purse from the thrift store.

4. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Tele-Holic

Feb 8, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Loads of people have paid $300 for a THR10 and these have many more amps and effects as well as Bluetooth connectivity and an app for all platforms. If the modeling is at least on par with the THR then this should be killer.

Brian Dress likes this.

5. privatesalt

privatesalt Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2014
    Alabama
    We already have problems with amps getting stolen, now they want to make them look like a purse? Does it have compartment for lipstick? Is there a place to hook a purse strap? Does it come in different colors so can match your shoes?

I bet it sounds great but would have to hide it in a bag if I left the house with it. Imho they should have made it with dark speaker grills. Then it would at least look like a jam box.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    emisilly likes this.

6. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    It looks like a pillow.

emisilly likes this.

7. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    It looks kind of melted, or about-to-burst. Here's a side view:

[​IMG]

8. G8AMB

G8AMB TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Lincolnshire - UK
    Has anyone tried one of these yet?

I hate the look, but like the idea. I am looking for a desktop amp.

I recently ordered a Mustang GT40 but it arrived damaged and the shop didn't have another one so I ended up getting a Katana 50 which I like but it is a bit too big for my needs and needs to be plugged into a computer to do anything other than basic tweaking.

I like the look of the Yamaha THR10 but it is missing a few features that the vox has.

I have been put off the GT40 based on the flood of bad reviews but I am tempted to give it a try hoping that it can be fixed with software updates

9. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    I'm definitely interested in this little Vox, despite the hideous looks; I have a THR10C and have owned both the other THR10 models as well, so I guess that's my kind of product - the Bluetooth and extra amp models plus a little more volume would be a draw for me, with the Vox, plus the smartphone app so I can control it from across the room without getting my lazy ass up from the sofa while I'm playing :)
    However, like G8AMB, I am also watching the GT40 and wondering if it would be a better bet than the Vox. Found a German guitar forum where a user had compared the two in a shop for an hour or two and ended up coming away with the Vox, but I havent had chance to play either yet. I may even end up with both if the Vox is a THR-beater, and sell my Yamaha. Just have some concerns over the GT40 which, by all accounts, is slow to improve with the updates etc. This worries me, in case it turns out that updates won't fix fundamental hardware issues with it, as some people are suggesting. I don't want to believe all the naysayers though as it looks like such a feature rich solution to my 'problem' (GAS!), but then again so does the Vox tick a number of boxes for me, although it may be just a touch too similar to my THRs.

10. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I haven't tried this amp, and probably won't, but I have a VT40X (just recently moved up from a VT20X for the additional bass from the larger speaker) and the Vox modeling is excellent. The Adio shares the best models from the larger VTX amps - I love the two Dumble models and the 1959 Marshall, with the AC30 and Fender models also really good. The software (Toneroom) is much more solid and stable than the app for the GT amps, although it's not as extensive or deep as the Fender app (you can't change cabinets with the Vox, for example, and any effects go before the pre-amp, where you can choose before or after on the Fender). I haven't used the Vox app wirelessly, so I can't say how well they nail that - the Fender app still has a lot of little bugs and glitches, which I'd guess they'll probably work out over time.

The thing I prefer about the Vox approach (which the Adio shares) is they give you a fully manual mode too, where the dials on the amp actually control the sound directly - using that mode is how I developed all of my presets for the amp - pick a model, play it manually and really dial in a couple of sounds, and then save them to the preset slots. You "only" get 8 preset slots, where the GT gives you a couple hundred, but I rarely use more than 3-4 so I find even 8 to be overkill... You can really use the Vox without ever using the app and still get a great sounding amp, which I didn't find to be the case with the GT40. The app does offer more amp models and a few more controls on some of the amps (noise reduction, which I generally turn way down fro where Vox sets the defaults, presence, resonance, bright caps, mid-boost, etc), so it still adds options you don't have without it.

There's just something about a larger speaker, though, even at bedroom/study volumes - you can just feel the sound more, even if it's not actually louder. If comparing it against the Yamahas, though, you should watch the Andertons review on YouTube. They seem to prefer the Vox for most of the models, but I think Chapman still preferred the Yamaha for the really high gain metal sounds. So maybe depends on what you play. Also, unless you need a really small amp, I'd spend less money on a VT 20 or 40 X, which are both quite light and still easy to move around. But if you gotta have a bookshelf amp or really prefer Bluetooth to a USB or or line in, the Adio is probably worth a look...

-Ray

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    nick0 likes this.

11. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Thanks Ray.

Another reason I'd potentially opt for the Adio is the full range speakers; I have a Digitech Trio+ that outputs drums and bass to a mixer/full range speaker amp, and send guitar to my Bassbreaker. The THR or my home audio system (via THR headphone out) are currently doing the duties for this, but I fancied the GT40 as 1) a cool, heavily featured practice amp and 2) a louder, bassier version of the THR for use with the Trio.
    So, rather than sending the Trio rhythm output to my Bassbreaker's 12 inch speaker, which of course sounds pretty bad, the THR or equivalent is a better choice with its FR speakers. The GT40 would, on paper, fulfill all my wants (more volume and FR speakers for Trio output, Bluetooth for streaming/jamming along from across the room, amp models for pure fun, an app to control the amp on the fly without walking over to it) - the problem is all the negative reviews of the Mustang have given me cause to doubt it'll truly be an upgrade from the THR, especially if its features arent really working very well yet.
    FWIW I have seen the Andertons video and a few others, it's interesting and because I play mainly blues I'd be ok without too many high gain tones on tap. Some are always welcome though, for the occasional blast.
    Final consideration is that I would like the unit to fit into a small-ish space, so a 12 inch speaker isnt going to work, nor may a 10, but even so, these all tend to be guitar speakers anyway in the other amps I've looked at, rather than full range ones.....leading me back to the GT40 or now the Adio....
    Choices....!

12. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Seems like the full range speakers are part of the problem with the larger GT models - they don't sound great for guitar. Haven't heard that specific complaint with the GT, though, so maybe those smaller ones can mix tasks better. I had the GT40 for a couple of weeks and I got some sounds I liked from it, but I always felt like I was wrestling with it to get there. The VT20 and 40X sounded great right out of the box, so if that's true of the Adio too (which I'd guess it would be based on their modeling), that's a point in it's favor...

-Ray

13. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    I did have a Valvetronix about 5 years ago, think it was a 20 watter, models sounded fine. Maybe the Adio can replace the THR and I can satisfy the GAS by getting the GT40 as well. ;-) Still think it may be wise to wait though, see how Fender get on with the Mustang updates that seem to have a lot of people upset...

14. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    I've used all three. Not an amp expert just home hobbyist but the gt40 is much better sounding since the recent updates. Wanted it for a living room amp with good Bluetooth audio streaming. Great for that. Went for the Adio gt air for small office. Sounds great to me. App is awesome and just detailed enough to do most things you'd want. Big factor for that use is it fits on a narrow desk without being obtrusive and looks cool. And it can get loud! Fir it's size i was shocked. Love the THR series. If you have one and like the amps and ok with the wires for music playing and deeper editing then maybe pass unless you have gas.
    But, if you actually want to use your amp in a small office environment with limited space seriously consider the adio. Solved all my problems, sounds great, looks cool (why does everything have to look like a 1969 stage amp? ) fits in a space smaller than a pair of pc speakers and you can run your phone through it wirelessly so when that work call comes it cuts of the music. So far so good.
    Sorry this went so long but all three have their place. Can't wrong with any of them.

bbob likes this.

15. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Thanks Cliffy.
    I do have a THR already in the room, just wanting a bit more oomph from the bass/drums output really. I do fancy the Adio for the different amp models, but the GT40 is really the one I expect I'll buy in the end - the six inch speakers should have the edge over the three inch speakers in the Adio or THR - would you say the Fender is louder/bigger sounding overall? The Adio has a 2x25 watt rating but I can't imagine it truly sounding as big as the GT40?
    Plus I'm thinking the long term versatility of the Fender should prove more fun than the Vox, although I can easily see myself getting one of those in the future too....

16. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Really interesting. My nearby Guitar Center seems to have the Adio in stock and I'm half tempted to go check it out. My playing space is an office/den/man cave that started life as a pretty small bedroom. It's all of 10x15 feet in size and I tend to sit within a few feet of my amp when I play. So volume is absolutely NOT what I'm after, but even at low volumes I find I still like an amp with enough bass to feel the music a little bit rather than just hear it. I played a Blues Cube Hot (30 watt, 12" speaker) here for a few days and even at it's 0.5 watt setting and playing at pretty low volume, I still got a really satisfying bass rumble coming through that amp that was just wonderful and let me feel the music as well as hear it. I didn't keep that amp for a number of reasons but the bass response really left an impression.

The 8" speaker in the VT20X didn't give me much of that at all, even though it was capable of getting much louder than I'd ever use it - it was pretty much on par with the GT40 in that respect, maybe marginally better. So I upgraded to the 10" VT40X and it improves on the VT20X some, but not by much - it' mostly just a bigger and louder amp which really doesn't help me much. So now I'm thinking that short of a bigger amp with a 12" speaker, which I don't really want, maybe I should just accept the lower level of bass response and check out the Adio for it's small size and convenience. We're spending a few months a year away from home at this point in our lives and I could easily take the Adio with us when we go - the VT40X I probably wouldn't and would just take a little Roland Micro Cube I've had for the past 10 years or so.

So how is the sound of the Adio relative to the GT40? Not the modeling - I'm familiar with both the Vox and GT40 modeling and prefer the Vox, but the bass response? The bass in the GT40 was pretty close to the 8" speaker in the VT20X. Both are waaaaay better IMHO than the Micro Cube or the little Backstar Fly I have also, which are both pretty thin sounding (the Fly worse than the Micro Cube). So if the Adio is closer to the GT40 / VT20X, it might be worth a shot. In any case, GC has always been really good about their 45 day return policy, so maybe I'll just go pick one up and try it for a week or two against the VT40X and see how much I'm giving up for the convenience. And return the one I like less...

-Ray

Cliffyg62 likes this.

17. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    For that I'd agree. The bass port makes a lot of difference but here I can't crank anything, neighbors... I got a knock running two thrs at 3/4 volume trying to do a whole stereo thing ok, it was 8:45 pm...But I'd say, yes, gt40 if you want more on the floor or coffee table amp. I was using it in a 9x11 room used to work from home so it wasn't working for me there. I'm seeing one as a small amp equivalent to an 8 or 10 inch speaker form and the other more like the desktop small table kinda use. I like the gt40 just kept having to step around it. But I have other amps to do that role. In its defense, I can put the GT40 in my entertainment center so it's not huge. Just lil too big for a desk in a small room.
    I cranked the adio and it got loud but I didn't test the base as I was less than a foot away and it kinda hurt. Surprised me...
    I don't think you can go wrong with either. On the floor and for better bass, the 40 wins. I just got a small speaker stand that folds flat and had it sitting on there. Sounded great. Love all the open slots and I may try and keep it because I really like the bandmaster and my fav Excelsior!
    Good luck and let us know how it works out.

18. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Def test it. I'm a little bass shy from being in apartments for decades. Still haven't hooked up my stereo subwoofer. It had a wide setting that Captn Anderton suggested leaving on always. It sound really good but that port on the gt40 gives more oomph. If you're traveling you have to test it at least. It can fit in a backpack and runs at 2.5 watts on batteries. If price isn't the issue adio, if it is, fly3 with the extended speaker. That was my orig plan but all wired and I have a boss that wants no background sound. Bluetooth from my phone solves all that. I'm tempted to see if the adio will fit in my glove compartment. I bet it'd be close. For camping, traveling easy choice.

raysachs likes this.

19. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Ok, I'm using it in a room 14x16 and in my entertainment centre, under the TV I have a space that is exactly the perfect size for a GT40, hence I'm thinking I can get away with it there without the wife complaining about yet another bit of guitar gear.....already got the THR on a shelf unit in this room but it's next to my head on the side where I sit and play, my Bassbreaker 15 combo is tucked in a corner out of sight mainly, so from a purely aesthetic point of view the GT40 is the best bet. It would fit the space perfectly, it would then be sitting next the TV unit on the floor opposite me, giving me a better listening position than the THR next to me. Should be better for jamming (bluetooth perfect for this, no cables!) and also for listening to the Trio bass/drums in better sound separation than having them blasting my left ear (I have tinnitus unfortunately) on the shelf next to me. The mix will be better there with the Bassbreaker in the other corner, should be easier to jam to I guess. Of course the Adio could also fit in the space I have, and have more space around it, but the GT40 would fill the gap exactly and look better, plus hopefully, as you say, sound better by being on the floor and facing me rather than on a bookshelf. The layout of the room is a big factor in all this, if it was my man cave I could change it around, but wifey won't allow this haha

Thanks for your patience if you read this far and cheers for the advice....

Cliffyg62 likes this.

20. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Oh and I keep forgetting, but the GT40 has the optional footswitch (with looper unlock function) which may give it an edge over the Adio for some. Not so sure it would be something I'd use a lot but it's there as an option - plus the GT40 is around £65 less to buy than the Vox right now, so I could factor in a footswitch and still be spending less on the Fender.
    Will wait to see if I can try both together anywhere soon, otherwise will just keep checking reviews online until the GAS overcomes me.....

Cliffyg62 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.