Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vox AC4TV - Value Increase?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Sep 21, 2017.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    It seems that about a year ago people couldn't give these amplifiers away, and now the prices have gone up quite significantly. I used to own one of these, and I replaced it with an AC4C1-12.... in all honesty, I thought the AC4TV sounded better but I did not want to admit that to myself. Right now I have an AC10C1 which I love, but I wouldn't mind having another AC4TV as well. That's why I start looking online and noticed the price increase.

2. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Things and our perception and what we're looking for all alter over time. It always seems just when you go looking for something it dries up/goes expensive....

3. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

I've been thinking about one of these as well. I have the Vox AC4c1 1x10" combo which i think is great but from the demos i've seen the AC4tv has more of a sound akin to the early EF86 type Vox, at least that's how i perceived it anyway. Don't get me wrong i love the AC4c1 and have no intention of selling it but i was thinking of the AC4tv as a compliment to it, i also like the fact that it has an attenuator which helps for home practice.

The only thing preventing me from getting one is the thought that maybe a Blackstar HT1R would be a viable alternative for low vol practice. I think the Blackstar maybe is a bit more versatile, what with two channels and all, i just think maybe i'd be really happy with the AC4tv, i just can't make up my mind. Decisions decisions.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

4. 3-Chord-Genius

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I sold my AC4TVH to fund the AC4C1-12, although I really wish I had kept the TVH. Both amps seemed to be lacking in bass, but there was a capacitor mod I did on the TVH that increased the bass noticeably, and I was playing it through an Egnater 12" cab. My comparison of one amp to the other (at the time) reflected what others had said - that the AC4C1-12 was superior. Looking back, I'm not so sure - yes, they were both 1-trick ponies, but there was a vintage overdrive tone that the TVH had.... I can't find adjectives for it, but it had a certain thing going on in the midrange that the C1-12 lacked. It's difficult to describe without using gear nerd terms like "spongey".....

Richie-string likes this.

5. Disco Biscuits

Disco Biscuits TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2011
    NC
    Funny to see this thread up here. I just snagged one of these in a trade. The guy put it on craigslist and said "trades welcomed". I ended up clearing out a bunch of stuff I don't use, and was able to pick up this head model...which has been housed in a new wooden box. It came with the original casing as well, and a Kustom 12 inch Cab.

I gave up a Squier Bullet, 2-3 cheap pedals, and a few practice amps that couldn't have been worth more than $10 each.

Was very happy with the transaction. IMG_1040.JPG IMG_1039.JPG IMG_1038.JPG

6. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

Thanks for the assessment. I do know what you mean about finding suitable adjectives to describe a sound, all the same we guitarists do manage to come up with our own vocabulary that somehow makes sense to other guitarists most of the time. I think the general public would think what are these guys going on about but most of the time it makes sense to us.

Yes it was the difference in the drive tone that drew my attention in the first place. It did have that vintage flavour to the drive that i really liked.

7. 3-Chord-Genius

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    When I cranked the AC4TVH all the way up in the 4W setting, it took on that certain vocal characteristic that a cranked Marshall has. Much quieter, of course, but that face-melting power tube saturation was definitely there.

8. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Holic

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    I just decided to sell an AC4-C1 blue I have and was pleasantly surprised when I looked at the reverb price guide and discovered I should be asking about $100 more for it than I planned to! They are ok amps, but not much more than that, I bought mine used about two years ago and lost interest in it completely after a couple of months. I don't know why they are going up in value, but it seems like I'll easily be able to get back what I have in it and then some so I'll take it!

9. 3-Chord-Genius

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I was referring to the TV series of AC4 amps - I haven't been keeping up with the C1 versions, but the info you provided is interesting nonetheless.

10. KellyCaster71

KellyCaster71 Tele-Meister

Mar 29, 2011
    Humble, Texas
    I have the AC4TVMini version with the 6.5" speaker. I remember I got if for $99. I like the attenuator that went from 4-1-1/10 watt.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017

11. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Jeff City, Mo.
    I got the same and use it through a 12" Celestion. Sucker is as loud as I need in the house!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.