Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

VOX AC30, more headroom!!!!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by kevinpires18, Aug 12, 2017.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Seriously, don't spend money on another cab with greenbacks!
    They are just about the worst possible choice to solve your problem, even though adding more speakers is a normal response to not being loud enough.

Regarding the alnico Blues, a second cab would share and handle the power, but you would still be sending half the amps power to the inefficient speakers, so you would probably not sound as loud as just the Blues.
    But a pair of Blues, while standard equipment for an AC30, will blow even without fuzz. They last a while but if an aC30 is cranked regularly they will eventually blow.
    Fuzz will blow speakers rated for more than an amps output because of the shape of the wave it sends the speaker.
    So your combination of running the 30w amp at full volume regularly with a fuzz makes a pair of 15w speakers a poor choice.

Can you order speakers from online sellers like Musicians Friend etc?
    There are plenty of choices for new efficient speakers with the cutting mids an AC30 wants.

2. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    celestion makes other higher wattage alnicos too. but damn they are expensive.....the gold 50 watters are almost $300 apiece.

3. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Could go with a pair of Weber Alnico Blue Dog, 30 or 50W, as an option. Other makers build similar speakers to the Blue in higher power versions as well.

There's an option B as well. Get a plexiglass partition to put around the drum set for rehearsal. Let him pound to his heart's content, and help save your hearing a little. They start at about 140 or so.

4. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    Maybe get in touch with Scumback speakers. I haven't personally dealt with them, but I've heard lots of stellar reviews on their speakers and their being able to find what speakers will work best for a given application.

5. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Get a set of Celestion Blue Alnicos, or one of the several excellent copies. If that's not enough, then get a second AC30. :)

6. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    We need a pic of the drummer's skins. :lol: To be honest, I don't think a speaker swap is going to solve this, AC30 + Fuzz vs a 100-watt Hiwatt, it's a push over.

7. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Yes.

Everything louder than everything else?

8. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Plexiglass box, I'd pick a concrete bunker. Preferably in another location. An AC30 can't get over a drummer? My god, you guys are like Disaster Area from HHGTTG

Also - if your amp is on the floor pointing at the back of your calves from a foot away you'll never hear yourself in that environment. You could get a tilt stand to point it at your head but you risk your hearing.

Greenback Ms are 25w 98db - Greenback Heritages are 30w 101db. Either will kill Wharfdales. Greenbacks are not 'the tone' for an AC30 but they're loud. The H's are a bit more

A pair of Lead 80s or Type As or even the dreaded.V30s with their upper mid kick would be a noticeable boosr. They're not the Topboost corksniffer's choice but then neither is fuzz. You could look at something like Eminence Redcoats or similar neo speakers, Tonkerlites.

You can pop any speaker with too much fuzz.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017

9. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I hear the name "Bonham" thrown around as if the only thing Bonham could do was play loud. I suspect this guy ain't no John Bonham, and he, along with the 100 watt guy sound like they ain't necessarily assets.

t guitar floyd, Sjnoring and stnmtthw like this.

10. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Your speakers are very inefficient. More speakers and increased efficiency will help, but..

I agree. That's a bizarrely loud volume level. I hope you wear ear protection, but either get the other guy to turn down, fire him, or quit.

MilwMark likes this.

11. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2010
    Switzerland
    Get two more efficient speakers to replace the ones you have.
    Celestion:
    Alnico blue (might explode)
    Alnico gold or cream
    Eminence red fang

Just take care of your ears at that volume.

LiteAsh likes this.

12. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

...Scumback Scumnico
    WGS Black & Blue Alnico or Blackhawk Alnico
    Weber Blue Dog...

13. kevinpires18

kevinpires18 TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Portugal
    Ok, so Red Fangs seem like a good solution for my problem!
    Also, i have the possibility of buying a Musicman HD 150 head... That would obviously solve my headroom problem. The thing is, i'm too afraid of selling my AC30.. It's the only "real" amp i ever had, and i love it's sound!! Does anybody have any input about how the musicman sounds and if i would be able to get similar chimey clean tones, etc??

14. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    If the AC30 is the sound you want keep it! I know I've already said that your band mates need to turn it down and you or they may disagree but do you really think this is a common problem for people who turn up to band practice with 30 watt amps? More than that maxed out would be just painful in a practice space.

Dr Improbable likes this.

15. atomfissure

atomfissure Tele-Holic

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'd expect not. As someone who got rid of an AC30 in favor of a more "convenient" amp, and regretted it everyday until he got a new one - keep the AC30. As someone who has owned a couple AC30's, and plays in loud bands - I simply cannot fathom how unnecessarily loud this band must be that the AC30 can't keep up. I hope all of your gigs are outside.

I love the sound of Red Fangs, they are probably a good solution.

Attached Files:

Dr Improbable likes this.

16. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    Yeah why can't he just turn down? A Vox is a very loud 30 watts. I have a Classic 30 that has no problem keeping up with most amps. My drummer is a monster and although I have 100 watt heads the 30 still keeps up. If this is just practice then yeah dudes need to turn down. If it's live you should be mic'd.

Gibson likes this.

17. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Plug 'em in and go!
    I've got one in my 5E3 clone and love it.

If I ever decide that I need more volume and headroom out of my Vox AC15-HW1, I'll get another Red Fang.
    But I'm quite happy with the stock Greenback, at this point.

[QUOTE="kevinpires18, post: 7833815, member: 137611"Also, i have the possibility of buying a Musicman HD 150 head... [/QUOTE]

While it's a fine amp, it's not going to sound like your AC30. I think you'd really regret that move.

I've read and re-read these posts and I still can't wrap my head around a band that plays so loud that an AC30 can't be heard.
    That's just insanely loud. Beyond painfully loud.

drlucky likes this.

18. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Meister

Jan 2, 2012
    Clarksville, TN
    What's the name of this band? Earbleed?

clintj likes this.

19. kevinpires18

kevinpires18 TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Portugal
    what about the Eminence The Wizard's? 75w!!! 102.8 dB!

Anyone have an opinion about them?

20. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    Not a clue but don't sell the AC30.

Anode100 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.