Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

VOX AC30, more headroom!!!!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by kevinpires18, Aug 12, 2017.

1. kevinpires18

kevinpires18 TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Portugal
    Hey guys, so i need some help here: I have a Vox AC30 and we all know it's loud as hell. But my band's other guitarist has a Hiwatt custom 100, so i get totally muffled by him. he uses a 2x12 with the hiwatt. My AC30 (CC2) has two wharfdales, and since i have to push a lot from the amp so i can get as loud as him, when i kick in the fuzz, i don't get a lot of volume raise, because the amp is already saturated. So basically i want louder cleans so i can get a boost when i dial in the fuzz. i want more headroom. Adding an extension cabinet with two greenbacks would help to solve this? If not, what other solutions do you suggest? i really don't want to switch amps, i love the ac30 sound..

Thanks in advance!!!

2. AAT65

AAT65 Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Mic up the Vox and use it to get the sound and the PA to get the volume.

brookdalebill and JustABluesGuy like this.

3. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    The Wharfdales are OK speakers but probably 95-98db spl. If you get genuine Blues which are 103 (or similar) you'll get more volume. But Hiwatts are massive clean monsters. To live with one, you'd likely need a couple of AC30 s

4. MA6200

MA6200 Tele-Meister

May 12, 2017
    Maryland
    Going through the PA seems like a good option but what about putting both on a mic so you can control not only yours but his as well.

Get someone else to set the levels if he's touchy about it.

AAT65 and JustABluesGuy like this.

5. kevinpires18

Aug 12, 2017
    Portugal
    Ok so this is a problem that is obviously solved when we are gigging live on a decent stage with PA, monitors, miking and etc. The problem resides more in our band practice room. We don't have enough mics or PA monitors to do this when we are practicing and composing. So, getting a 2x12 vox speaker cab with Greenbacks essentially will raise my volume/headroom, right?

If anything, at least i have an extra cab to use when i buy a new head, or sell the AC30

6. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    +1. A set of Blues or an extension cab with Blues would be be my choice here. The extra 6dB of sensitivity would be like quadrupling your power.

You must have one heck of a practice room if you can crank an AC30 and a Hiwatt. Wow.

savofenno, LiteAsh, Chuckster and 3 others like this.

7. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    Ah, come on - if an ac30 isn't loud enough then the other guy needs to turn down. That volume level must be horrible after a while.

Paul G., AngelStrummer, Grux and 23 others like this.

8. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Can't you just tell your band member that your 30-watt amp can't compete when you want it dialled clean, as in get him to turn down. A cranked 100 watt amp is a little overkill for band practice isn't it?

Edit: what @scottser said :D

Grux, Gibson, Nick Fanis and 4 others like this.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Sheesh. I don't believe any of this.

Hearing damage is not "rock and roll".

Turn down.

10. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Yes gotta admit I'm amazed you guys can still hear anything..... My bar band can't get gigs if we play 1/4 that loud.

11. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2016
    Blues country
    No kidding man. I've had to turn down my blues JR at a few Blues jam nights.

drlucky likes this.

12. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    What? WHAT? Speak up, I can't Hear YOU!
    Just kidding.

But seriously, either more efficient speakers in your combo or a extension cab with more efficient speakers will make all the difference in the world.

13. kevinpires18

Aug 12, 2017
    Portugal
    as hard to believe as it sounds, we have to play loud. Our drummer is ridiculous. Bonham style. Our bassist has a 100w ampeg, and uses a 8x10 cab. most of the times his volume is too low in comparsion with the drummer, even with everything on max. So it's a hard to solve problem. One of the solutions is asking my bandmate to remove two tubes of the hiwatt, so it becomes 50w.

Also, i can't find a decently priced 2x12 cab with alnico blues. So, the 2x12 cab with greenbacks sounds like the best solution so far..

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Steve Ouimette likes this.

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    The solution is to tell your drummer to get a clue.

Gibson, savofenno, JORear and 4 others like this.

15. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I have never met a drummer that is louder (acoustically) than an AC30 and a Hiwatt, and a 100wAmpeg Bass amp on full! The guy must use a couple of maple trees for sticks. Can I assume the band is instrumental? There is no way on earth you can get a vocal loud enough to compete with what is going on here.

Back to the question... getting an AC30 to compete with a Hiwatt is no easy task. I have never seen an amp with more headroom than a Hiwatt. The biggest change you could make would be from the stock whardales to something more efficient. In all fairness... nothing will have volume pretty soon at those levels.

Dr Improbable likes this.

16. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    If your band is so loud an AC30 can't keep up, you're too loud. But I posted about this a while back about my AC15, everybody says oh they don't have much headroom blah blah. Well I had mine up to 10 and it didn't break up unless I turned up the channel volume. And I think it's because I have gentlemanly CS54 pickups. Did they even have distortion in 1954? Maybe try some vintage or vintage clone pickups.

Gibson and SamIV like this.

17. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    No, tell him to get another gig.

MilwMark and Dr Improbable like this.

18. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    I'd also suggest more efficient speakers, but also because I never liked the warfdales either.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Why fire John Bonham when all you need is a little more volume at rehearsal?

OK so a Hiwatt does not need to be cranked to make it hard for an AC30 pushed by a Fuzzbox to stay clear. Just a thought, fuzzes can sometimes sink in a mix, is yours known for not having this problem? It sounds like you're describing lack of clarity as well as not quite enough volume.

First off, an added pair of greenbacks won't boost your volume all that much because they are inefficient speakers.

Second, a Fuzz into an AC30 is a tough combo to get loud clear sound with.

Third, a pair of Blues will probably blow if you crank your AC30 with fuzz.

You're going to have to get the most efficient speakers possible, and also get efficient speakers with good top end clarity. So not the popular efficient but muffled Cannabis Rex.
    A pair of Red Fangs would do it, but Eminence makes same efficiency ceramic speakers for less money. I'm just not sure which ones.
    If you don't get a new cab you should be able to afford two LOUD speakers to replace the lame Wharfdales.
    It will make a big difference, a really big difference.

Is your amp on the floor at rehearsal?
    Get it off the floor and don't point it at Bonham, he'll just play louder.
    Are the power tubes less than a year old? You will turn a set of new power tubes to mush in maybe a year with fuzz cranked to the point where it doesn't make your AC louder. Just guessing.

jimash likes this.

20. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    on a cc2 there is a switch on the back that will cut it down to 22 watts.....make sure it is set to full power.
    i have the cc2x, so mine is probably going to be a bit louder than yours but to get the most headroom out of that amp, dime the master and use the channel volume to get the desired level. you might try blending the channels as well.
    another thing i did that seemed to give more headroom was i changed all the tubes to jj's. some people dont like them but i do.
    another thing you might try is setting the amp like i said above and adding an overdrive with the volume all the way up and the gain all the way down....works like a clean boost and may make the amp louder while still being clean.
    thats about all you can do without buying expensive alnicos and things like that.......but seriously, you guys are playing too loud. i keep mine on half power and still dont crank it. as a matter of fact, i bought an ac4c112 to use at practice just so i could get that cranked vox sound. plenty loud for rehearsal (in my case) and not even dimed.....almost though. hell ive gigged with that thing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.