Vox AC30 From NCM

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by royb3988, Feb 10, 2019.

1. royb3988

royb3988 TDPRI Member

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

NCM has been around forever. I've never personally bought an amp from them but know plenty that have.

3. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Meister

I've got the blonde AC30 HWH. It's a great amplifier, I would say as good as the old 60's JMI models for sound. Very well built, it's my main amp. I use a 2x12 cab with Greenbacks.

4. royb3988

royb3988 TDPRI Member

Thanks Norris...I cannot find one of these to play in a store, I bought the "other one" with a PCB in it and the board lasted about 5 weeks...while changing a tube that went bad. Personally I do not know why any builder...even Mesa...mounts tube sockets on PCB's but some folks have no issues with them. The store, luckily took the amp back, it was only 6 weeks old.

I have been told, as you also stated, the HW amp is the one to buy. I might roll the dice and get one...I've got plenty of Fender amps for now!

Thanks again,

Royb3988

5. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

No experience with a hand wired AC30, but I bought from NCM in January of 2013. When Vox discontinued their Pathfinder 15R, I was determined to buy one more. I got it from North Coast Music, the last one they had in stock, as I recall. The transaction was perfect, no issues at all.

6. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Meister

The HWH is turret board instead of PCB, so it's easy to work on. I've had no issues with mine, had it six years.
    I did reduce the power filtering to make it more 'saggy' and looser feeling, but that's just personal taste.

7. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I have a PCB CC Ac30 and love it (In fact have had a few variations over the years). Have changed and had the tubes changed many times without issue. Many thousands of these amps sold and played without any issue due to the "PCB" design.

I would suggest getting the PCB repaired or get another one, the one that failed is the minority, not the majority...... They are great amps. The cc's used must be very cheap over there these days. THe only thing is, as an AC30 style they run very hot and tend to go through rectifier tubes.

MadJack likes this.
  8. royb3988

royb3988 TDPRI Member

Mad Kiwi,

I was able to return the amp...I may move forward with a HWH version.

Thanks,

Royb3988

9. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

Gary at NCM makes impeccable cabinets. I believe he also does a 24 hour burn-in on all of the tube amps.

The one in black cosmetics should be considered an extremely limited edition as no more are going to be made- when they are gone they are gone!

Considering that the pair lists for $2500 with the factory fawn covering - the $100 less for the limited black covering is an amazing deal!

10. Salsg

Salsg Tele-Meister

I have an AC30HW2, and it is now my main amp.
    It was an improvement over the AC30CC2 (modded) I previously owned.
    It is worth the price difference.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.