Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vox AC15 vs AC15 VR....

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by lineboat, Mar 31, 2013.

1. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    I'm wanting a smaller tube amo than the AC30 and Classic 30 I have now. Something not so window rattling loud, but still good quality and loud enough to play with friends. While the AC15 was my first thought, (or a Blues Jr.), the AC15VR came to my attention. It seems to sound like the all tube AC, only cheaper since it has some solid state components.
    Is this right? Are there any good reasons not to go with the VR?

2. iheartreverb

iheartreverb Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2012
    Glasgow
    The VR is older and although it was ok when I played one its nothing you can't get from any modelling/ hybrid amp. Closet thing to that would be an AD15VT.

What you need is an AC4. I have a Bugera V5, only bought it because it was cheaper that its Vox and Fender alternatives and its amazing.

3. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    Is an AC4 loud enough to jam with friends on? What is it, an 8"?

4. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Sep 14, 2012
    Shertz, TX
    The ac15VR is a great little amp overlooked by many.

Yes it is as loud as the all valve ac15.

5. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Depends on what your friends are using.

I am not familiar with the AC15VR but if its similar to the AC setting on the VT's it does not have the sparkling sound that the AC15C's

6. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2012
    Australia
    What you get with the VR amps is the sound of a 12ax7 tube in the preamp, being amplified through a solid state power amp. I bought one when they came out, but I could never get that glassy clean tube AC30 tone out of it (I ended up buying a tube AC30). I think you would be better off with a Peavey Bandit or a Blues Jnr.

7. iheartreverb

iheartreverb Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2012
    Glasgow
    Surely someone (not me) need to explain volume tube vs hybrid here to help out.

I have a 5w 8" and I can't turn it anywhere near full vol in my house. Speaker wise you can always plug it into a bigger speaker. Yes, it depends what amps your mates are using but as said above you need a tube amp of some sort to get close to the tone you want. As good as modelling amps are, they just pretend to sound like that.

8. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    I understand tube amps, and that the lower wattage is plenty for the living room. I'm thinking the little 5w may be smaller than I need, so I'm gonna stay in the 15 range . I'll check out some Peavey and the Blues Jr. I have the AC30, so my Classic 30 just sits around. I'll turn it into a 15w of some sort.

9. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    Or.... I'm looking into the Excelsior now too.... It sounded good on YouTube. Have to test drive it first....

10. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

They get a lot of love on the site.

11. Gunerius

Gunerius Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2013
    Norway
    Try it, I think it's either you love it or you hate it with that?
    I have one, and I love it! I even gig with it, small clubs, larger clubs, outdoors is the only place I've had any trouble with volume from it.

12. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    How is it on clean? And some crunch? I don't care about screaming metal or it being extremely loud. (I've got a Mustang3 and an AC30 for loud) .... I'll just have to play one and see! Now I'm ready to go home, but unfortunately it'll be a couple weeks... :(

13. Gunerius

Gunerius Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2013
    Norway
    Its clean up to about twelve o clock, i keep it at one, thats crunchy, and then I use a lpb-1 to push it into overdrive.

14. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    So you can't see the front door breathing to get good tones? That's what I'm looking for. Sounds better all the time. I just need to play one... :)

15. Gunerius

Gunerius Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2013
    Norway
    No front door breathing :)
    I'll probobly get a second one myself to run simultaneously

16. boogiecaster

boogiecaster TDPRI Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Guam
    Oddly enough, the AC15 doesn't really sound like an AC30, but it is still a full size amp, as far as dimensions, and it's pretty heavy! Blues Jr's are wonderful amps, and Egnater Tweakers are versatile little monsters too!

17. Old Mother Hell

Old Mother Hell Tele-Meister

Jul 9, 2011
    The Netherlands
    I can vouch for the AC15VR. It also take pedals very well.

18. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

I had an AC15VR and an AC15. I played them in stereo a few times.

The AC15VR has a really great clean sound. The overdrive is nice too, but it definitely sounds like pre-amp tubes getting pushed.

The AC15VR is not as loud as the AC15. It is definitely loud enough to jam with friends. The AC15 C1 is a REALLY loud 15 Watt amp. It may just be EQ's to where it cuts better. I don't know, the VR just couldn't keep up with my AC15 C1 in louder situations.

I would't hesitate to get the VR though, it' s a really nice sounding amp. It's kind of like a big box Pathfinder.

19. teleswisster

teleswisster Tele-Meister

The Ibanez TSA15 sounds pretty good in video demos - and I believe it can be had cheaper than the others. Anybody got first hand experience with one?

20. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2003
    Earth
    I recently serviced an AC15VR. It's a pretty nice amp. I replaced the Chinese 12AX7 with an American 12AU7 and it greatly improved the tone. Lots of that "glassy cleans" that someone mentioned without affecting the gain structure of the amp negatively.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.