Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vox AC10C1 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by StormJH1, Sep 28, 2015.

1. dombar335

dombar335 TDPRI Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah. I actually played around with the Amp and pedals last night and found I got the best results doing this.

Tootle and Seamus42 like this.
  2. dombar335

dombar335 TDPRI Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    Help me understand something. I'm always trying to get that real nice treble heavy Vox edge of break up. sound. About 4 minutes into this video it pretty much the sound I'm talking abkut.

It shows his settings with the bass dimed. If I turn the bass up even halfway it's way too much. Even on my telecaster. I've seen other demos and settings with the bass turned way up too. Is it all about the pickups?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  3. Tootle

Tootle Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 16, 2015
    Pacific Northwest USA
  4. Tootle

Feb 16, 2015
    Pacific Northwest USA
    oops, sorry...tried to abort that last post but couldn’t find a way, sorry.

5. Tootle

Feb 16, 2015
    Pacific Northwest USA
    dombar335: I took some time to fiddle on my AC10c1 to refresh my memory relative to your question about diming the Bass pot. To my ear the bass control stops giving up any additional bass (so to speak) above about 1 o'clock. From there on up, the effect is a steeper and broader hollowing out of midrange, until dimed, you get a fairly strongly scooped tone. The treble control has a similar but mirror-image response shape. I think whether or not the bass control dimed sounds good will depend on your guitar, pickups, playing style and the room—in particular, whether your guitar has both some balls and clarity left with midrange broadly scooped. If yours gets too boomy, you might be able to compensate with your axe’s tone pot, but maybe not with some pickups.

For me, with a single coil tele and a Timmy pedal giving a mild boost, I can get useable tones out of the the full range of both the AC10c1 tone controls, which is pretty cool I think. It’s even more robust (but less tweakable) with a Jazz-master-style guitar. But with a Les Paul with lower-output PAF style pickups, it’s a bit fussier, and with some other humbuckers there’s a much narrowed useable range.

dombar335 likes this.
  6. dombar335

dombar335 TDPRI Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the response. I'm finding I'm getting the best clean sounds with the bass all the way down to the 9 o'clock position and the treble at about the 11 o'clock position. Then for a little boost I run my OCD with the gain all the way town but I have the tone knob more to the darker side which might be helping compensate for the bass being down.

7. Seamus42

Seamus42 TDPRI Member

Dec 21, 2018
    New England
    That's a really interesting question. I just got my AC10 after quite the saga of trying out other things, and I've only played it with my Gretsch (TV Jones Filtertron pickups). With that pickup, the bass sounds superb all the way up. At 12 o'clock, it loses a lot and sounds just mid-rangey. And the treble, because I don't have a tone knob on my guitar, sounds really good at 8 or 9 o'clock. Those are finicky pickups compared to most, so now I'm really curious to see what will happen with single coils.

8. Seamus42

Seamus42 TDPRI Member

Dec 21, 2018
    New England
    For anyone who happens to be curious about weight, I just got my AC10 and removed the back panel completely as an experiment in lightening the load even more. The panel weighs in at 44.5 ounces, or about 2.7 pounds -- a tenth of the amp's total weight. The sound with it gone is different, but not nearly so dramatically different as I thought it might be. In fact, there are some really compelling qualities to the sound without it, at the expense of less authority in the bass end. That said, the tubes rattle with no back on at certain frequencies.

I recorded the back on/off difference with a looped guitar part, and will try to post when I have time. Was a fun experiment.

dswo likes this.
  9. dombar335

dombar335 TDPRI Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    I think I pretty much answered my question on the bass level and it's due to some good old fashioned tone suck from my pedal board that I'm working to narrow down now. When I plug the guitar directly into the amp I have a lot more treble and sounds good with the bass up higher. Through my board all the treble seems to be gone.

10. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Sounds like a buffer at the beginning of your signal chain might be helpful.

11. dombar335

dombar335 TDPRI Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    I'm thinking that. I started running my OCD as an always on boost. I've heard that works the same as a buffer. It sounds better at least.

12. thehound

thehound NEW MEMBER!

Jan 13, 2019
    Oslo
    Anybody had any problems with the reverb being on (even if turned off) when turning the amp on? In mine it's slightly, yet annoyingly, on for about 5 min before it suddenly starts working as it should.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.