Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vox AC10C1 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by StormJH1, Sep 28, 2015.

1. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Do any of you guys with AC10s run a digital modeler through it?

I've got a Vox Stomplab I use mainly with headphones and I wonder how it would sound through the AC10. How much does not putting it through an FX Loop color the tone?

2. tom310

tom310 Tele-Meister

Jul 30, 2008
    Kansas
    I run a Zoom G3 and a Zoom MS-50G into my AC10C1 and love it. I only run it at bedroom volumes (Gain at 9:00 and Master around 8:00/9:00), but it gives me the sounds I need.

mnutz likes this.

3. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

I made the rounds of all the guitar forums and I don't think I've ever seen an amp so well regarded by everyone. Strat guys, teles, Les Paul, offsets, everybody likes it! That's pretty amazing!

Richie-string likes this.

4. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Yea, I guess they don't know it has the evil MOSFETs inside ;)

PK38 and mnutz like this.

5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Hahaha!!!! Yeah... it's been DEFILED!!!

Richie-string, mnutz and JBFatFingers like this.

6. nico1950

nico1950 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Hello: i use a Stomplab 1G on my AC10C1 and it works great. For me the Reverb, echo, tremolo and chorus sound as well as i hoped for.
    Very satisfied with the sounds.

7. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Hey that's great to hear! Thank you!

8. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    A few weeks ago, I set out on a quest to reduce the gain on my AC10C1. I am currently into pedals for my overdrive tones, and so I wanted a bit more clean from the AC10. I changed the preamp tubes to a 5751 and a 12AT7. Last night, we rehearsed, and I was really pleased with the results. I could still easily push the amp into smooth saturation heaven, but when I wanted cleans, I got great cleans.

A friend recommended another option, based upon the schematic. He felt that the first MOSFET was configured with too much gain, and proposed a resistor change. I didn't bring the amp home last night, so I can't try that mod just yet, but once I do, I will get back on here and report.

mnutz, mysteriousfish and markal like this.

9. nico1950

nico1950 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2014
    The Netherlands
    This is my set: Telecaster USA, AC10C1 and Tonelab 1G, ready to play. P1010661a.jpg

10. dotnetbrett

dotnetbrett TDPRI Member

May 1, 2017
    Columbia, MD
    Thank you so much for running through all this stuff about the differences between the AC 4 and the AC10.

Scaper2014 likes this.

11. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2014
    Stoke-On-Trent
    My pleasure!
    I still stand by my opinion of getting a hand wired Vox AC4HW but I would possibly recommend putting in the new Celestion alnico Cream. If money is no object obviously :)

I have since purchased the handwired AC15HW1 amp and I have to be totally honest, The hand wired versions are out of this world and sound completely different to the C1 range of amps. Save if you can!

12. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I suspect that the HW series are true(r) to the original schematics, and probably have higher quality transformers as well.

13. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2014
    Stoke-On-Trent
    I think all the C1 and HW range of the Vox AC line up are all fantastic. The only one thats lacking is the AC10C1, which is such a shame because its one of the best sounding but the build quality is absolutely shocking in-side. I'm wondering if it was just a low cost production to test the waters for the unleash of a twin AC10c2 or handwired AC10.

mysteriousfish likes this.

14. 3-Chord-Genius

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I would not say that the build quality is bad, but the component layout is weird.

15. mysteriousfish

mysteriousfish TDPRI Member

Jul 7, 2014
    Ontario
    Hey guys check out what vox is saying about this special edition of the ac10c1: "The AC10C1 is now available in Maroon Bronco color scheme for a limited time. Introduced in the 1960s, the original VOX AC10 has become a highly coveted piece of VOX history. The new, all-tube AC10C1 continues the legacy of the original and offers 10 watts of classic VOX Top Boost tone, reverb, and a master volume." Taken from http://www.voxamps.com/LimitedEditions .

Is "all tube" a fair statement considering the dirty, greasy mosfet in the pre-amp? Or did they change something.

mnutz and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

16. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I doubt they changed anything since it is still called the AC10C1. If it had a new circuit, I would expect them to change the designation. I think they are just laying fast and loose with the fact that both the preamp and power amp have tubes in them. But with that logic, you could also call it an "all solid state amp" I suppose :)

mnutz likes this.

17. mysteriousfish

mysteriousfish TDPRI Member

Jul 7, 2014
    Ontario
    Yea I couldn't imagine they'd change it, just found it curious cause the original ac10c1's description doesn't have the all tube part on their site. Vox would do well to follow these threads in order to see what we nerds like/dislike. *cough* ac10 with 2 speakers & 2 channels *cough*

41144 and mnutz like this.

18. 3-Chord-Genius

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Very likely the same all tube (tube preamp and tube power amp) as in the other AC10C1's, just a different color. All this really means is that I need to get another one!

mnutz and mysteriousfish like this.

19. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

Aug 1, 2012
    Berlin
    Such a classy little amp!
    I'm in (sorry no Tele).

IMG_3991_small.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    richey88 and mnutz like this.

20. 3-Chord-Genius

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    You're not done spending your money yet. I just picked up an AC10C1 cover from Sweetwater.
    1507820370873.jpg

Richie-string and schotter611 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.