Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vox AC10C1 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by StormJH1, Sep 28, 2015.

1. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

So I wonder, is the AC4c1-12 the same way? It's got a pretty distinctly different sound and Vox really hyped it as being "all tube, class A".

2. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    The schematic for the AC4C1 is out there. I can provide if you like. It has an all tube signal path, and a solid state rectifier. No MOSFETs.

mnutz likes this.

3. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Interesting, thanks!

4. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Here is the AC4C1 schematic for reference.

Attached Files:

mnutz likes this.

5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    So here we have a case of an "all tube" AC4C1, which I've owned, and a "hybrid" AC10C1, which I currently own, and the "hybrid" sounds better than the "all tube" AC4C1 in every area, and is pretty much the consensus. Let that sink in. How evil, really, is that little MOSFET? I wonder if the guy complaining about this will all the sudden start thinking that his amp does not sound good anymore.

6. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Not evil at all if well applied. And I guess it is because the amp sounds great.

They probably should have told us though...

Here is an excerpt from their webpage:

VOX is proud to introduce the AC10C1, a modern take on this classic design. More portable than the AC15 and more powerful than the AC4, the AC10C1 features the classic Top Boost tone circuit that provides an array of classic and modern tones.

Nothing here is inaccurate. But nothing here suggests that they used MOSFETs in the preamp. Frankly, I'm not upset about it. But if you are, I get it.

7. 3-Chord-Genius

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    This is probably pretty widespread, as I mentioned earlier many JCM800 and JCM900 amps would be considered hybrid amps by our standards.

Richie-string and Big tuna like this.

8. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2016
    Canton, MI
    Seems to me that you're not angry enough about this diabolical revelation. TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS!

Tootle, PK38 and Big tuna like this.

9. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2012
    east side
    I am not buying another one till the handwired real tank verb comes out! i swear it. Thanks for posting!

PK38 likes this.

10. Tootle

Tootle Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2015
    Pacific Northwest USA
    My amp just sounds all jiggery-MOSFETy now. No more love juice.

;-)

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

11. nico1950

nico1950 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Thanks a lot, that's great.
    Nico

Tootle likes this.

12. nico1950

nico1950 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2014
    The Netherlands

13. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Let the mod suggestions began .......

14. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    A friend has indicated to me that the gain on the MOSFET is quite high. It is apparently set by the ratio of two resistors: The 220k on the Drain (similar to plate of a tube), and the 2.2m on the Gate (similar to the grid). He suggested that reducing the Gate resistance to about half would be a good starting point for possibly reducing the overdrive and cleaning things up some. Not everyone will want that effect as the overdrive is really sweet. But if you use pedals for your drive as I do, it could be a better configuration. I am away at the moment, but plan to alligator clip in a parallel 2.2m resistor to effectively reduce the value to 1.1m, assuming there is enough lead for the clips to grab onto. If this works out, it might be a nice switchable option (more gain, less gain). Feel free to beat me to this experiment :)

Of course this might also result in lower volume overall - not necessarily a good thing in a 10 watt amp. But we'll see. I find with my Princeton Amp clone that the higher headroom as compared to the Princeton Reverb allows pedals to drive the crap out of the amp, and it gets real loud. If the same balance is struck here, it would be wonderful.

15. JJAdams1956

JJAdams1956 TDPRI Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

16. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    FWIW, Brian May (yes - Dr. May!) can't tell the difference between the 70's AC30 (with transistors), and the tube-based 60's ones.

...until the tube ones set on fire of course...

Want more drive / mid-boost out of your tube amp? Stick a box of transistors in front of it - that's how it's done, folks.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

17. 3-Chord-Genius

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    So, is there an updated list of readily available speakers that will fit into this amp?

Telefunked likes this.

18. Telefunked

Telefunked TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    That's a great Idea

19. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Meister

Aug 10, 2016
    SF Bay Area/California
    https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/vox-ac10-c1-speaker-choices.386513/

Here's some good information, I currently have an Eminence Red Fang in "16ohm". Takes about 3-4 for a custom order. Fits perfectly and sounds great!

20. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2012
    Candler, FL
    I don't have the AC10C1 (yet?), but as a Vox fanatic, I have followed this thread for the most part. You can see I was posting some of my ideas early on, but as I didn't get one and everyone else was trying things on their's, I stepped back and just watched.

Now for my point of this post, I know some have tried the G10 Greenback, but went back to the stock VX10. I have the WGS Green Beret 10 and was using it closed back, but it lacked the bass it should have had and it was bright and very tight sounding. I run it in a cab that I copied from the 1 X 10" Weber Alnico Blue Pup cabs I built for my two Lil' Night Trains, but this cab I built closed back. I built this cab to go with a 5 watt Marshal JCM800 clone. Last weekend I cut a 4" X 11" port in the back of the cab and the speaker came to life. Full sounding, fat bass and the treble smoothed out beautifully! It sounded great with the LNTs and with the JCM clone.

That got me thinking about those who've tried the G10 GB and didn't like it. I wondered if anyone has tried to build their own back panel for the AC10C1? Just to try a semi open back configuration. It really opened up the sound on my Green Beret 10, which should be very similar to the G10 GB. The design of the back is pretty simple and opening up the back should help free up some more of the tone from the speaker. I'm also going to try my ET10 and Weber 10V in this cab to see how they respond with the open back, they were all too tight/bright with the closed back. This back panel wouldn't be hard for someone with modest woodworking skills. (Anyone in central Florida wanna let me borrow theirs? ;) I have a piece of 1/2" birch ply that looks to be the right size.)

Another idea, for the more brave souls :eek: , has anyone tried cutting the power tube mount/breakaway off the chassis and tried mounting it somewhere else? (If you do, be sure to run a ground lead from the breakaway to the chassis.) Possibly even using a corner bracket from the hardware store to mount the tube 90 degrees to the chassis. Moving the power tubes would free up more space for the speakers and more room for a cutout for a semi open back.

Short of that, the more industrious could build a deeper cab, like from some Baltic Birch ply. It would probably be lighter and would add a bit of the vintage resonance, like the original Vox Birch ply cabs.

Just throwing some ideas out there.

Richie-string, Tootle and mnutz like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.