Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vox AC10C1 or Fender Blues Junior

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dcos, Jan 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. dcos

dcos TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Sand Lake, Michigan
    Mr. Green, I already own a Fender Champion 40, which I think is pretty much the solid state version of the SCX2. I bought the AC10 because I wanted a tube amp with a more natural and less colored sound than the solid state but the tone is just a little too in your face for me. Do you think the SCX2 is an improvement over the solid state sound of the C40?

2. Telepi

Telepi Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2009
    Missouri
    Might want to wait and check out the new Marshall Origin amps. They’re not out yet. But the videos look promising.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

3. bonzo898

bonzo898 TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I can't speak for AC10 but I do know from experience that the speaker needed to break in on my new AC15 for a couple months before the brittle highs were tamed. That and changing the stock tubes. After that, the amp was great.

4. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    To my ear the vox ac10 sounds dry. That is the only way I can explain it. I would buy a Blues Jr. YMMV

5. dcos

dcos TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Sand Lake, Michigan
    What tubes did you use for replacement?

6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Between cranking the knobs and using Fuse software, the SCX2 will approximate an AC10 or a Blues Jr.

7. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I love Vox amps, and I like the Blues Jr., but if it's less of the brittle kind of brightness you are after the Blues Jr. isn't gonna make you super happy either. It is a very bright amp. Honestly, I would advise you to consider an AC15 for one very important reason. Dialing in a Vox amp is all about that tone cut knob. THAT's what dials out some of the brittle bits of the high end. The treble and bass knobs are interactive with one another and with the gain on the top boost circuit, meaning you can't really just dial out some of the treble without effecting the gain and the EQ curve. When you turn down the treble, you lose some upper mids too. The tone cut lets you get rid of some of those higher frequencies without effecting the gain, and without effecting the EQ so drastically. The AC10 was built as a top boost circuit without the tone cut. This makes it far more difficult to dial in a good sound, IMO.

Go to try an AC15. Turn the tone cut knob up to about noon-2:00, and see if you can't find a tone you like.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    dcos likes this.

8. bonzo898

bonzo898 TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I believe it was Groove Tubes, but I've heard other alternatives improve the sound in a similar way. Second the tone cut comment as well. When I'm playing a single coil tele or a strat I have the tone cut engaged about 3/4 of max to tame the highs.

9. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    For what you're describing, I'd prefer the Blues Jr.

Or you might try a Fender Princeton or a Princeton 68 Custom, which supposedly has a tone stack that sounds more like the late 50s Fenders.

Good luck.

10. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    Maybe you could even go as small as a Champ?

11. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Meister

Feb 12, 2017
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Usually the guitar has a tone knob, cuts out treble. Just sayin'... :rolleyes:

Henfield Tele likes this.

12. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Holic

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    groove tubes buys tubes from the three makers and rebrands them, so, for the ac15, this is what you actually put in it if you got groove tubes.
    depending on tube type....
    GT el84R is a sovtek
    el84S is a JJ
    12ax7c is a shuguang 12ax7-a
    12ax7r is a sovtek 12ax7-wa
    12ax7r2 is a sovtek 12ax7lps
    12ax7r3 is an Electro harmonix
    ecc83s is a JJ

13. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    While no one wants to deprive anyone else of an opportunity to be snarky to a well-meaning stranger on the internet. Isn't it nicer to be able to use the full sweep of your tone knob by having a sound you like with the tone all the way up, rather than having to dial it back 50% just to get to what you'd consider useable?

matrix, Spaceboy, dcos and 1 other person like this.

14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Maybe I'm alone in this, but I found that decreasing treble at the guitar's tone knob as opposed to at the amplifier takes some of the "umph!" out of the sound. It seems to reduce how hard the signal hits the amplifier. I always keep my tone knobs on the guitars dimed for this reason.

15. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Holic

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    im with you on this....i do dial the tone back to about 7 when using the bridge pickup, however. well, on my strats that have the tone wired to the bridge pickup anyway.

16. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Meister

Feb 12, 2017
    Uppsala, Sweden
    OK... EQ-pedal then.

What I mean is that if the a little to shrill is the only thing you don't like with an amplifier, it's easily cured.

Could be it's just the manifestation of all the things you don't like with the amp, but can't put your finger on...

Then change it.

17. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Meister

Feb 12, 2017
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Maybe not if using a smaller cap. I find the .047uF way too much, .022 is better, or maybe even .015.

18. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    I almost always have the tone knob dialed back a hair, like a quarter turn for rhythm playing especially under much overdrive.

19. dcos

dcos TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Sand Lake, Michigan
    Well, I may not be a guitar genius, but yeah, I actually did think of dialing back the tone knob lol. I had to dial it way back and as 3-Chord said, it seemed to decrease the punch in the signal. Just trying to get some ideas from guys more knowledgeable than me. Starting to think the Vox tone is just not for me. The Fender SCX2 is looking like an option.

20. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I should add that since I started playing Vox amps, I had a Telecaster and a Stratocaster that sounded very shrill and ice-picky. I think that the Top Boost circuit might accentuate this. In each guitar, I replaced the bridge pickup with a GFS overwound pickup, and that fixed the problem in both cases.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.