Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vox AC10C1 or Fender Blues Junior

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dcos, Jan 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. dcos

dcos TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Sand Lake, Michigan
    Need some input from the community. I bought a Vox AC10C1 and don't know if I'm thrilled with it yet. I'm getting used to it, but it's pretty bright and breaks up pretty fast so doesn't have a lot of clean headroom. I'm thinking of returning it for a Blues Junior but I haven't played one, only heard demos on the net. I currently just play at home but am toying with doing a duo gig with my singing wife with backing tracks from a Digitech Trio+. Pretty much Top 40 pop, a little country, and some classic rock. Any thoughts on the two amps and which might be better for what I want to do?

2. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Holic

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    vox amps are hard to dial in, but once you do they are awesome. I have an ac30 and an ac4, and would choose the ac10 over the blues jr. any day. the jr, was ok I guess, but to me, the vox was way better. this is only my opinion....im sure many others will tell you the jr. is better. I think the jr. will give a bit more clean headroom though. bit if you dime the master on the 10 and use the channel volume it too has clean headroom.

3. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    I like the Blues Jr.

nojazzhere likes this.

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Wow... both are great amps. Isn't the Blues Junior the one that is really clean even at loud levels? I know that the Vox does not offer pristine clean tones, but very good edge-of-breakup overdrive. I guess it depends on what kind of sound you want.

cincyguitarplay likes this.

5. Chmason85

Chmason85 TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Philadelphia/Louisville
    Fwiw, if you can swing the extra cash, I have the AC15 twin, with two celestion greenbacks, and its the best amp I've ever had personally. Had a tweed blues jr with the Jensen c12n speaker before that and the Vox wipes the floor with it in my opinion, just a big badass amp on every front

6. losrogers

losrogers Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2012
    Tucson
    For the style music you describe, Blues Junior might suit you better. Have you looked at the new Mk IV ?
    I have a stock AC10 and tweed BJr with all the mods and speaker swap and use them for different jobs. AC for church or ABY setup with a DRRI. Blues Junior for rock/blues jams and loves all my pedals. Also, I loved my AC10 right out of the box. So maybe the Vox sound isn’t what you’re looking for?

asnarski and cincyguitarplay like this.

7. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Aug 10, 2016
    SF Bay Area/California
    I owned a Blues Jr. before trading it for an AC10. The Blues Jr. may have better cleans but I liked how the AC10 sounded when cranked. I agree with @heltershelton that it's finicky to dial in a good tone. You might have to try one to let your ears/head tone decide. Sometimes I swear what sounds good to me sounds crappy to someone else!

8. krowbot

krowbot Tele-Meister

Oct 15, 2009
    Hanford, California
    I am seeing a lot of folks not bonding with vox amps and I get it. I have been playing a vox ac30cc2 for about 10 years. I did the bright cap mod, changed tubes. It originally came with the wharfedale speakers and I eventually swapped those out with a weber silver bell and blue dog. It has served me well. It took me a long time to realize that I thought it didnt sound the way I wanted it to, especially since I would dial in my tone by myself, in my room. I would transfer those same settings for gigs and practice sessions and it wouldn’t cut through. So of course I would adjust my settings with the band and it would sound glorious.

After practice, I would keep the settings the same, take it home, once again, by myself and I would say, “wow, I was playing with these settings? By itself it sounded like garbage”

Anyhow. I think there was a thread on here a while back titled “gig tone vs practice tone”, and I learned a lot from it.

Fast forward to now, I recently purchased an AC30C2x with the celestion alnico blues, and to me it is definitely an upgrade. Much easier to dial in my tone whether it is practice or with the band.

Sorry this is long winded. Anyhow it all comes back to whether you like the vox sound or not.

I also apologize as my comparison is not like yours. I also have a fender blues deluxe reissue and I like it, but my desired clean sound isn’t very Fender clean. I like the subtle vox grit and chime.

However the fender takes all my pedals and effects more in a predictable fashion where as both my voxes may be a little pickier and/or the effects settings are quite different compared to the fender.

I hope you find what you are looking for. As for me I want all the gear in the world

jannodude likes this.

9. Tootle

Tootle Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2015
    Pacific Northwest USA
    “Anyhow it all comes back to whether you like the vox sound or not.”

yup, this.

jannodude likes this.

10. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    I'm not big on Fenders with EL84s myself. If that's what you want, stick with the Vox.

If you want a Fender, you might be better served with something like a Princeton Reissue or a Deluxe Reverb.

I really think that for what you're looking for, a Super Champ X2 is your best option, though.

dcos likes this.

11. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Holic

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    I agree about the deluxe reverb. with the right pedals, you can play any style of music there is with one of those. great cleans and takes pedals well.

12. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    You should check out the fender bassbreaker 15... I see it as sort of a newer better more versatile blues Jr.

stnmtthw, dcos and Minimalist518 like this.

13. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    You beat me to it....I like the Blues JR. a great deal for what it is and for 80's rock and blues, but the Bassbreaker sounds like it might be more versatile. Since the OP is talking about 80's covers and some counrty, I think the Blues Jr or Bassbreaker would check the boxes at a pretty comfortable price point. Choose the right speaker and add a little delay and the amp performs very well.

Minimalist518 likes this.

14. Mr Green Genes

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    OP mentioned that he wants to do pop, country, and classic rock, no mention of blues, and some of us around here don't really think of 80s covers as "oldies".

He did mention that the Vox was too bright for his tastes, and that he wanted more clean headroom. I think that in his case, going from a Vox AC10 to a Blues Jr would be going from the frying pan into another frying pan.

For just he and his wife doing small venue duo gigs playing a variety of genres, I really think the SCX2 is the way to go.

ADK Teleman and dcos like this.

15. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2011
    Albany,NY
    My vote goes to the Fender. Vox makes some great stuff, but not for me.

16. 6l6-57

6l6-57 TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Covington GA USA
    I bought a Blues Jr when they first came out and liked it a good bit. It has a good bluse/rock tone. However, I found it had a limited "voice " and it did not match my TS9 very well.

jannodude and cincyguitarplay like this.

17. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    +1 more on the Bassbreaker 15. As said above, it’s really versatile. It’s totally subjective, of course, but the first time I plugged into mine, I heard the sound I’d been chasing in my head.

18. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    If you think the AC10 is bright then maybe Vox amps aren’t for you. Box cleans also sound best with a little bit of touch sensitive overdrive. If you aren’t thrilled right away, by all means return it and find something that’s a better fit. I don’t personally like the Blues Junior, but I’m a Vox and Marshall kind of guy. The bassbreaker is a good suggestion though! They are fun amps.

19. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    Also, if you need clean headroom at band volumes, you need to look at higher wattage options. The Blues Deluxe is 40w and has fantastic Fender cleans for a pedal platform. It can be had used for not much cash, probably less than what you spend new on an AC10 or Blues Junior.

Kontaktmoi, drlucky and dcos like this.

20. Mr Green Genes

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    This is a husband and wife in their mid-60s who play and sing at home, and may want to try to do a small coffee shop type gig down the road, with just his wife singing and him backing her on guitar. No band to be heard over.

The town he's in has a total population of about 400-500 people. He's not talking about playing Joe Louis.

The concern is not that he won't be heard over the (non-existent) drummer, but that he won't be able to turn the amp up enough for it to really shine.

SCX2 is very versatile. It will handle the wide variety of sounds he'll want, and sounds great at the volume level he's looking for. It's more than adequate.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.