Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vox AC10C1 is a hybrid amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mnutz, Sep 11, 2017.

1. SOYRAFA

SOYRAFA TDPRI Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Spain
    The only thing that puts this diction into reality is reality. You can say your self that you have not been cheated. But you has been.

You thought to buy a tube amp and pay its price, but received a really and unquestionable hybrid in a valvular price.

No one deny sounds good, but all of we know now, that is a fact, that it hides what it really is, a hybrid amplifier. No doubt.

I am sure that all of us when we bought, without exception, thought we bought a valvular amplifier, even you, and that if we had known the truth, that it was hybrid, we would have bought another thing...

There are better hybrids amps at better prices

That's the reality, it's a scam.

2. markal

markal Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    As others have pointed out, Vox does not say it is an all tube amp. They also don't say it's a hybrid.
    http://www.voxamps.com/ac10c1

Interestingly, Sweetwater refers to it as "all tube."

So depending on where you bought it, either you were deceived by the seller or maybe it was self-deception.

At $450 US it doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If you thought it sounded good before you learned about the MOSFET then why is it less worth it to you now? If it sounds good, smile and play the damn thing.

mnutz and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

3. SOYRAFA

SOYRAFA TDPRI Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Spain
    Again the same question?, how many times must be answered?
    Answer: Because I do not like being cheated and being lied to. Because although it is little money I choose that I spend it and would never pay that price for a hybrid.
    Because I am in my right to express my opinion based on proven facts to manifest my total refuse and to act accordingly and warn the people, that the truth be known and ignore to that people that wants that I conform and accept the scam.

I think it is enough explanation to finally be understood.

I have requested the return of the amplifier in the store, have spoken with the official distributor in my country. There is no money back but it's possible to change for another product of equal or superior value. The technical service confirms that the amplifier can be effectively understood as a hybrid (once again). And the only hybrid of the series Custom x if I want to change it for another Vox. Nothing of that. I'm watching circuits with preamp and power amp 100% to valves. Seems will to be fender pro junior ... but I still searching ;)

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    You must be living in an alternate reality, because you appear to be alone in this. You may feel "ripped off", but you weren't. We bought what was advertised as a tube amp, and sounds like a tube amp, because it is a tube amp. A transistor slamming the preamp tube does not change the fact that it's a tube amp. I had an old JCM800 that used clipping diodes in the preamp - I discovered this when I opened it. I could have said, "I've been cheated!", but calling an amplifier that has seven tubes in it "hybrid" or "not all-tube" borders on asinine.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    tarheelbob and mnutz like this.

5. markal

markal Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    This. No one was cheated. Vox does not claim it is all tube.

mnutz and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

6. 3-Chord-Genius

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Really, the consensus among those in the world of guitar players is that a "hybrid" amplifier has either a solid state preamp and tube power amp, or vise-versa. The AC10C1 has tube preamp and power amp, with a little extra kick in the preamp provided by a transistor. A C-130 cargo plane with rocket-assisted takeoff is not a rocket plane.

AAT65 likes this.

7. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    This thread is getting hilarious with the level of anger some of you guys have towards whether Vox did or did not "rip you off".

I get it, you did not know what was in the signal chain, and sure, there was no literature on the website to reveal every signal component that resides in the amp. If you feel cheated, that's your beef and of course you have every right to seek a return on the product.

But! Are you only seeking to get rid of the amp because you made the discovery about the opamps, or because you did not like the sound?

Personally, I do not dig the AC10C1 because of the reverb and slightly boxy sound. That's just my take on the amp as a whole, and my personal view. Plenty of others love this amp and power to them.

So that's my point: objectively speaking, would you object to this amp purely from a tone perspective?

mnutz likes this.

8. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimbel in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogroves and the momeraths outgrabe solid state.

Kev Reg and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

9. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles

I bought the amp because it sounded bitchin in reviews, everyone had a boner on this website for it, I wanted a Vox to add for a different sound and the thing is priced right based on all of the foregoing. Maybe somewhere along the line I read it was a tube amp but I surely didn't research that nonsense for more than 15 seconds, I was good with what y'all told me. Still am.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Here, I'll make it simple: Vox DOES make actual hybrid amps. They're called the AV series and the VR series. Look them up. The AC10C1 is not even in the same ballpark. Not even close. The AC10 is a tube amp, all the way.

11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    So we have two camps, self-declaring victory in direct opposition:

"Its a tube amp. Tube pre-amp and a tube power amp. That's why I like it."

"It doesn't matter what it is, its working great. That's why I like it."

AAT65 and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

12. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    As others noted it's not advertised as "pure tube" or "tube-only signal processing". And I challenge you to list, for example, Fender amps that are advertised as having nothing but tube signal processing.

Additionally, how many buyers need to read that criteria before they will purchase an amp. My estimate (based on having worked in the business) - less than 1%.

If you truly believe what you said I suggest you investigate several well respected Marshall tube heads - and dozens of other amps that have used FET's *with* tubes.

Plus you must be classing all tube amps with digital reverb as hybrids.

Where do you draw the line? What about solid-state devices that affect the attack and reduce natural tube compression? If they alter the sound is the amp then a hybrid?

If so a Twin Reverb is a hybrid.

jannodude and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

13. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    I guess whenever you go to a music store to buy an amp you'll need to bring an electrical engineer and ask to see the schematic before hand right? Who knows what witchcraft is lurking in everything else you own.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

14. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    OMG, they put solid state circuitry in between us and our tubes, I'm outraged!

[​IMG]

jorbjorb, jannodude, fatcat and 2 others like this.

15. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    Most effects loops are op-amp driven and most modern reverbs are as well. Not too mention a digital reverb which the AC10 and others have.

I define hybrid as an amp where either the preamp or poweramp is solid state.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

16. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    I hear lots of consumers in stores who also need a musician with them - someone who can tune, play, hear,....:eek:

17. 3-Chord-Genius

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    That's kind of what I'd been thinking for about the past 30 years. I think that's kind of what everyone's been thinking. Well, except one guy....

18. JORear

JORear Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2017
    Alabama
    I will settle this. Vox lied, stole, and cheated everyone with the AC10. All owners should put their AC10s on EBay and Craigslist at the same time to drive prices low. Then I will make a NAD post.

19. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    This is crazy..

mnutz likes this.

20. 3-Chord-Genius

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Yeah, especially the ones with the cream colored tolex. Those have 10 transistors in them! And no tubes. Sell yours to me immediately.

mnutz likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.