Vox AC10

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by chet again, May 4, 2019.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

More than likely a rattly EL84. I have one and it doesn't rattle.

2. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

Yeah, I'm interested in the amp cause I think it'd be great for home practice and recording at home.

jannodude likes this.
  3. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

Tell me how you guys use your AC10 and where it stands if you also have other amps. I'm still interested in it because I think it would be a good home recording amp. I could get low volume growl out of it using the master knob etc.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  4. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

My Vox AC10 .. I can and have used it for everything..practice, recording, live gigging, pulled out the stock speaker and changed out the tubes, I installed the new speaker(G-10 Greenback) was broken in its been a regular workhorse..flawlessly accepting everything I throw at it. I also have bigger and smaller amps at my disposal, Super Reverb, Tweed Blues Jr, and a new Pro Jr.IV also in tweed covering..they are all running quiet and in near perfect running order. The Vox just shines..the Super Reverb can handle all un-miced situations..saying that..with the Vox I don't need to bother with any pedals at all other that maybe a TC delay.. hope this helps you out..

Millebern likes this.
  5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think it’d be a perfect home recording amp.

The circuit is hissy regardless of the tubes you sub in. It’s just that way.

And it’s one of the cutest/best looking amps ever. So there’s that.

Telecasterless likes this.
  6. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

Still tempted...(must resist G.A.S)...

7. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

I have to agree. I have a British Racing Green limited edition and it just looks (and sounds) so cool.

8. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

Okay, if you want to resist.....

Are you aware that the 'all tube' AC10C1 does not have an all-tube signal path?

The classic top boost channel uses 3 gain stages - that's (1.5 12AX7s) and the phase inverter uses two tubes sections ( 1 12AX7). That a total of 2.5 12AX7s, yet the AC10 only has 2 12AX7s.

What happened to the other half?

Vox skimped and replaced the 1/2 tube section right at the input with a MOSFET stage - this is the stage where we are recommended to put our best tube, because if affects all every subsequent gain stage. Then it goes through 2 tube sections, into a digital reverb board with op-amp driver and recovery stages- through another MOSFET and into the phase inverter past the master volume then into the power tubes, output transformer and into the speaker.

The AC15 is also being sold as "all-tube" but uses high-voltage opamps to mix the signals before the phase inverter. The signal on the AC15 is "all-tube" up to that point - with 3 preamp tubes ( the other 1/2 12AX7 being used for the normal channel ).

Consequently, the AC4C1 IS actually all-tube with the "extra" tube section buffering the master volume circuit. unfortunately, vox installed a bright cap on the master volume that makes the amp sound shrill at lower volumes.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  9. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Yes!!!!...(possible) Justification.

I have spent the past few years thinking of the AC10 even though I have an AC4 C1-12....Im hoping this eases the GAS...even though I don't think it matters given the consensus on the AC 10 is that despite all that it still sounds good :)

I did go to buy one and test drove it but found it quite loud so bailed at the time.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, not this again....

There is a guitarist, on this forum is a matter of fact, who bought one of these amplifiers and thought it was a greatest thing in the the world... until he learned there was a MOSFET in the preamp. Then all of a sudden he hated it. It was as though the tone suddenly didn't matter. Probably one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen in my life. There are JCM800's with clipping diodes in the preamp, but you never hear people whining about those. Back In those days, guitar forums didn't exist and people spent their time playing the instrument, writing music, Etc. Today we obsess over the silliest of things.

The Vox AC10C1 is a great tube amp for a great price, and as was demonstrated by that guy who loved his until he learned there was a MOSFET in it, the amp is 100% tube tone all the way. I just played an outdoor gig with one on Saturday, miked-up, and it sounded famtastic.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  11. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

End of the day the proof is in the pudding. . It still sounds great for something so inexpensive and it's tone is accessible.

The Vox AC10 is - within the limitations of it's low price point - a great sounding amp that's cheap and cheerful in a good way.

Adding another tube could add 10-20% to the price and force it to be bigger, would then be closer to the AC15 for little gain.

It's a compact, light, simple amp that with its power scaling (successfully in my view) bridges the gap between single tube bedroom amps and bigger semi-pro gigging/rehearsal amps like the Chinese made AC15/30.

I wouldn't swap it for my 83 Superchamp but I'd use it for backup.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  12. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

A fact- even if restated - is still a fact.

Sometimes correct information is a deterrent to GAS, especially if dispels some of the "all-tube" marketing hype.

Sadly, Vox misled this poor fellow you speak of. He may have loved the tone, but felt cheated when he found out what was really in his amp.

Vox could have used only two 12AX7s AND the three gain stages of the top boost channel, but that was not a design choice that they made.

13. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

Are you unhappy with your AC4C1-12? I bought a AC4C1-BL with the 10 inch speaker and it immediately sounded "off" to me. I searched the internet and found a schematic and found C20 - the bright cap on the master volume. I grabbed some plyers and literally ripped it out of there, fired it back up and was relieved by the improvement - a volume control that didn't change the tone of the amplifier - imagine that!

Consequently, I was interested by the AC10C1 when it first came out. I listened to marketing videos with recordings of the amp and it just sounded "off" to me.

My longstanding theory is that - this being a telecaster forum - telecaster players plug into the AC4C1 at lower volumes and the bright telecaster and the bright cap on the master volume combine to give a shrill, overly bright amp. The same telecaster players plug into the AC10C1 - which to me is a little bland - and the bright telecaster breathes some life into the amp. I play les paul types - usually with P90s - and that is how I perceive the AC10C1.

14. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Afflicted

I do like the tone, but mine has always been hissy, despite attempts to tame it. Single coils and P90s just make noise thru it. The Les Paul, not so much.

15. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

My SG with humbuckers sounds great through mine. Also sounds great with my P90 SG Junior. It’s harder to find a bad sound than a good one in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.