Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Voodoo Tele build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by davmac, Mar 18, 2011.

1. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    Today I finally made the first steps in turning my paper plans into wood and sawdust for my latest build.

It is going to be a far from traditional T-style guitar.

I'm taking inspiration from Fender's Voodoo Strat, which has a reverse headstock and a left-hand angle for the bridge pickup. I was playing a friend's a couple of months ago and I really liked the twangier bass and warmer treble and thought it would suit a Tele, so I'll be fitting this with a leftie bridge. I'm not too sure about the reverse headstock. He swears it changes the feel of the strings, but I couldn't tell. I'll make up my mind when the replacement belt arrives for my bandsaw.

The other unusual aspect of my plan is that I'm going to make this one a thru-neck. Externally it won't be visible but the nut and bridge will both sit on the same piece of wood. If all goes to plan it will be virtually heel-less too.

Talking of wood, the neck and body back are going to be sapele with a 1/4" maple cap.

So today I started turning the raw chunk of sapele into a body blank. It would have been so much easier with a thicknesser and jointer but I don't have access to either so it was a router, table saw and lots of creative sandpapering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And today's lesson learned? Don't wear a black fleece jacket when you're creating sawdust. :) Oh, and bullmastiff's will eat sapele sawdust if you let them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. repeatofender

repeatofender Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2009
    Carrollton, TX
    Hope it goes well, looking forward to watching.

3. dutchgoff

dutchgoff Tele-Holic

Dec 12, 2010
    not here
    Best of luck Dave. This looks like it will be loads of fun to do and to watch. Made me wonder how good a nut a Black Cat Bone would make.
    Dutch

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    Spent a few hours making templates yesterday, but once I was happy with them, the work on the body blank went quickly...

[​IMG]

You'll spot the lack of heel and the left-handed bridge pickup rout shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is as far as I got. If the rain clears up I'll finish the chambers today. I'm also going to try an fix up an old bandsaw that has been given to me, so that I can start the neck.

6. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2003
    Wirral, UK
  7. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    A little more progress today. I need the maple cap and fingerboard to arrive so that I can calculate the height of the cuts for the neck tenon, so in the meantime, finished off the template for neck with its huge tenon...

[​IMG]

...and did the round-over on the body back.

[​IMG]

8. ZenGugs

ZenGugs TDPRI Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Nashville, TN USA
    Wow! That's pretty intense. Love that piece of wood you have for the body. I'm really looking forward to how you attach the neck. Beautiful. Looks like you've got some serious skills, Dave. Kudos.

9. mlp-mx6

mlp-mx6 Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2008
    Atlanta
    Be careful when you drill the holes for the strap buttons (especially the bottom one) that you don't put a little piece of wood inside the body to rattle around. It will drive you crazy! (don't ask me how I know) You may want to drill the hole before you glue on the top.

10. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    Much appreciated! I bought the wood as a bunch of offcuts and have been pleasantly surprised with it after the rough layer was planed off. I'll definitely be going back there for timber again.

Wise words and obviously from experience!

I've actually left chunks of wood behind where the strap buttons screw into to hopefully avoid this (you might notice in the pics that I install two buttons on the tail end), but I'll take your advice on board and install the strap buttons before the top goes on. Thanks.

11. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    Made good progress today, which is just as well because we have rain forecast for the rest of the week.

Got the truss rod in.

[​IMG]

The top of the neck big tenon cut.

[​IMG]

And the bottom.

[​IMG]

And the matching mortice in the body.

[​IMG]

The next job is to cut the body cavity shapes into the neck tenon and then on to shaping the neck and headstock...

12. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    Things have been progressing pretty well the last couple of days. Headstock is just about done.

[​IMG]

And I'm a fair way in to carving the "heel-less" neck body transition.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately my router went bang yesterday showering me and the garden with fragments of cast metal. I'm really glad I keep those safety specs on!

Until the new router arrives (probably Monday) I'll keep myself occupied with carving the neck...

13. Harvester

Harvester TDPRI Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    looking great - shame about the router - +1 on the safety gear !

AP

14. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    I managed to find this part of the bearing housing about 40' away from where I was working. If anybody is pondering whether that safety gear is worth it, imagine this hitting an unprotected body part...

[​IMG]

We've had heavy rain the last couple of days so not too much progress, although I did get ebony fretboard cut close to shape and the copper marker dots installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Jake D

Jake D Tele-Holic

Oct 10, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Dave, you have a nice project going. That looks like a cool dog too. Kudos.

16. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

Jul 21, 2007
    College Park MD
    I love the micro dots on the fret board. The rest of the guitar is really cool too. :)

17. misterecks

misterecks Tele-Meister

May 25, 2010
    Nottingham England
    A very nice looking project. Nice to see something a bit different.

18. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    Thanks guys. It is certainly keeping me busy!

19. Berndizzle440

Berndizzle440 Tele-Holic

Sep 1, 2010
    Newark, NY
    This is an amazing build i am totally following this one!!!

20. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    I'll tell her you said so! Thanks.

[​IMG]

Wet and windy today so I'm reduced to posting dog pictures! Anyone want to see the Newfoundland and Border Terrier? :)

21. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    The weather eased up so I managed to get a few jobs done. First made myself a really simple fretwire bender.

[​IMG]

First tapped in the fret ends, then three or four firm strikes with a copper faced hammer seems to do the trick.

[​IMG]

After seeing the video about how PRS do their frets over at flatfive's build challenge thread, I reasoned that if it was good enough for Carlos, it'll be good enough for me

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.