Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Volume Volume tone no switch?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by arcticbreaze, Aug 12, 2017.

1. arcticbreaze

arcticbreaze TDPRI Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Oamaru NZ
    Home made guitar want to wire it up one volume pot for each pick up and master tone pot, really don't have room for a switch.

is there a way to do this as the obvious way pulls both pickups to earth when ether pot is at zero.

thought i'd ask the experts

thanks in advance

2. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Whether one tone pot or two, on a two volume passive system (like a Gibson), it's typical behavior to lose volume on both when turning down one pickup all the way. Note, it's only the case near zero. If you hang in the middle of the pots' sweeps, then you can still accentuate one pickup over the other. If you really want the sound of just one, then (on a Gibson) use the switch.

You can sort of regain control by reversing the wiring on the input and output terminals of the volume pots. The problem is that when you turn down, really low where you're talking about going, it sucks tone, badly.

3. arcticbreaze

arcticbreaze TDPRI Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Oamaru NZ
    thanks for the fast replies , yes the jazz bass setup saved me does effect tone but seems to rob more tone when both are up not down. maybe sum bypass caps would fix this? going to

gat1.jpg let else sumone play it see how it sounds as i don't play guitar myself.

thanks for the rescue

4. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I was going to suggest a blend control but you got three pots already.....

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    A little drop in volume is common when using both, but you do have a volume on the amp to compensate.

6. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I just wired up my latest build with a blend pot, master volume, and passive treble/bass tone control. 3 pots, lots of options.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.