Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Volume Pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Big_Ger, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Big_Ger

Big_Ger TDPRI Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Sheffield UK
    Hi,

I've recently started playing guitar and would like to reduce the volume of my amp whilst still getting a decent tone as I have neighbours with a young child and would like to stay on good terms...

I have a Blues Junior which I love but unless it's on very low settings it's a bit loud. I realise that I could go for a lower wattage amp with a built in attenuator, something like a Vox TV for instance, but I'd rather stick with what I have. I could just turn the volume pot on the guitar down but then my fuzz pedal doesn't work.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to use the full range of the volume pot on the guitar to drive my fuzz face and overdrive pedal and be able to have the volume and master controls on the amp at a reasonable level in order to get a good clean tone without it being too loud.

I read somewhere on line that you can use a volume pedal to do this, however, I've heard that they kill the treble and need to go first in the chain which will mean I can't drive the fuzz face...

Any thoughts..?

This is my first post so be gentle,

Thanks

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Welcome. For your purposes VP after fuzz/drive pedals and before modulation should work great. A buffered pedal in front of the VP (like if you happen to have a BD2, SD1 or OD3) would preserve treble.

3. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    First, I like to set the guitar volume at max (10) before setting master volume (and gain) on the amp.
    Next, a volume pedal for many is simply a way to increase volume for the solo portion of a song at the tap of a button.

The only way to determine the treble or other differences with a volume pedal in the chain is test it on, and off. Place it at different points on the board-to see if you get a better or worse sound when utilized before or after other effects.

4. Big_Ger

Big_Ger TDPRI Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Sheffield UK
    Hi, thanks for the advice. I have a few modulation/delay pedals which come after my BD-2. I didn't realise that I could put the volume pedal before these as I thought it would "starve" them of the signal and maybe make them a bit noisie? I'm new to this so maybe that's just me "thinking" too much!
    If I did put the volume pedal after the BD-2, would that have same effect as reducing the level on the BD-2 or would that affect the tone of the pedal?
    Which volume pedal would you recommend? I realise that I need one for guitar rather than keyboard etc but quite a few seem to be designed to go first in the chain...
    Thanks again

oscarf likes this.
  5. Big_Ger

Big_Ger TDPRI Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Sheffield UK
    Thanks for the help Hiker

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I moved my volume pedal from the front to just before delay and reverb and works great. It allows your full guitar signal through all of you modulation as well. I learned this just after joining TDPRI myself, so welcome and hang out with us. There are a huge number of people here with tons of knowledge about everything and very helpful too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.