Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Volume knob

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by jdolecek48, Jan 2, 2019.

1. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2018
    Florida
    I have played guitars with string thru bodies my entire life, this is my first strat and I always rest my hand on the bridge but I have the problem of hitting the volume know when I pick.....what do you guys think about super gluing that knob?

I have tightened the spring screws so it's not going out of tune, but will upgrading that bridge make this squire sound better? Also can you tell me what bridge to get? Will getting a bone nut help too? Is it just a matter of gluing the nut on the guitar? And when I buy one will it be cut perfectly or will I have to cut it? Will polishing the frets help? Is this something that I can do? And if so how?

My guitar has a hss p/u configuration and I need a high gain humbucker, what humbucker would you reccomend? Will they sound just as good even though the squire affinity is made of cheap wood?

2. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted

Apr 28, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Lots of questions for one post.:)

I'll tackle one of them. Don't superglue the vol knob. If it's really bothering you just pull the knob off the shaft.

3. Bella_Caster

Bella_Caster Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Are you considering maxing the volume pot then superglueing? Honestly I'd learn to work with it. A lot of strat players use their pinky to wrap around their volume for different effects or for going from clean to dirt without messing with the amp. The location of the volume control on a strat is sort of ideal for that.

I played a strat briefly and I had the same issue as you. At the time, I rewired the pots so that a single tone pot controlled the pups (instead of two separate tones pots), took out the now unused tone pot, and moved the volume and single tone pots down, so that volume and tone were now located where the original 2 tone pots were. This left an open hole where the original volume pot was, but I just taped it off. Of course that then limited the tonal options since there was only one tone control. In retrospect I should have just learned to work with it. In any case, I recommend not disabling the volume knob though.

The volume control is pretty valuable for the above mentioned reasons, so I'd either work with it as is, or do what Togman suggests, above. Also, I believe they make low profile knobs to lessen risk of hitting the volume with hand or pick. I think you'd need a pot with a shortened stem for that however.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    JustABluesGuy and Djentleman Dan like this.
  4. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Admin Post
    probably if you choose a nice bridge like callaham, you need to understand if it's worth the bucks.

yes

yes and no, "yes it's just simply glued", having a nut cut is a job for somebody who knows what he's doing and you might need some tools too.

yes it will make bendings more smooth

this is fairly easy, there are many methods, the most used and economic one is steel wool, you just need to be careful to clean it up nicely and pay attention that no residues of steel wool will sitck to the pickups or go around the guitar, seal her in a bag when you do this.

Seymour duncan Jb ? but to give a better advice we need to know a bit more...

Probably you'll notice a change, with better pickups usually any guitar plays better, but you might like it or not, it's a very personal matter

about

no please don't, the volume & tone knobs are your first weapons in the sound arsenal, there are more loose and firm pots around, i'd eventually change it for something that is a little bit "harder" to turn eventually, but i would'nt really glue the knob, take it off eventually as Togman said

El Tele Lobo and Djentleman Dan like this.
  5. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    Just put a washer made with foam under the knob to make it stiffer...

6. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    If you are going to glue it why not just remove the pot and make the center the volume? For me, the knob location is the best thing about a Strat. I roll it constantly with my little finger...

I have tightened the spring screws so it's not going out of tune, but will upgrading that bridge make this squire sound better?
    Maybe, it depends. But a big block on the Trem could help sustain and resonance.

Also can you tell me what bridge to get?
    Other than the trem block, I dont find much difference. My hot rod strat is a MIM bridge with Squier sinter cast inserts. I like those personally, but the formed metal standard Fender are fine too.

Will getting a bone nut help too?
    Not really. I dont find any difference in sound on electric. And let's face it, other than Cowboy Chords the nut doesn't come into play at all. I have put steel LSR roller nuts on 3 strats, I found zero tonal change.

Is it just a matter of gluing the nut on the guitar? And when I buy one will it be cut perfectly or will I have to cut it? You may have to cut it, sand it and you will want to adjust the grooves. It's one of the more difficult setup issues.

Will polishing the frets help? Is this something that I can do? And if so how?
    It depends on the condition of your frets. I use a cotton wheel on a Dremel tool with 3M Finesse It to polish and they shine like a mirror with about 10-20 seconds of polishing on each fret.

My guitar has a hss p/u configuration and I need a high gain humbucker, what humbucker would you reccomend?
    Will they sound just as good even though the squire affinity is made of cheap wood?

Again, it depends, I've played Custom Shop strats that are dead wood, and MIM that are lively as heck. It's all about your particular piece of wood and combination of parts.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    JustABluesGuy likes this.
  7. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Another vote for NOT superglueing your volume knob. That’s a “permanent solution to a temporary problem” that isn’t the real problem anyway.

I thought about doing something similar once apon a time, but now I depend on the volume knob constantly, so I am glad I didn’t do something drastic just to overcome my own playing limitations.

I would recommend at most doing as suggested previously, and cut out a gasket from foam or felt and place it under the knob so that it spins less freely, and then work on your wild stumming technique until you are no longer adjusting the volume by accident.

In the end I found that it was just a simple technique issue that eventually went away on it’s own, and not a design issue like I tried to make it. I still can’t do volume swells with my pinky, but I am constantly tweaking my volume knob for more or less gain, volume boost for solos, etc.

Bella_Caster likes this.
  8. DENTS N DINGS

DENTS N DINGS TDPRI Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Florida
    I just read on another post where it was suggested to get a new pick guard with two controls centered on the space where the controls are and rewire to master volume and master tone. You could also delete the volume knob location if it isn't enough room and go master vol / tone using the middle and bottom holes. The bridge pickup on a standard Strat doesn't have a tone control and this gives you adjust-ability on that pickup as well. Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Pre-cut nuts are cut at the factory to fit perfectly; but nobody knows which guitar they fit.

kookaburra likes this.
  10. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    Play it a while and maybe you'll get used to it, I've been playing mainly Stratocasters for a VERY long time, no issue with the volume knob placement for me. In fact I like where it is located for volume swells.

kookaburra and JustABluesGuy like this.
  11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    If you can't get used to the knob location, take out one of the tone pots making it master volume/master tone and move them down to the bottom 2 holes for pots. Fill in the top hole with something. People have done that to Strats for decades.

WelshBluesMan and Bella_Caster like this.
  12. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    This is something I did when it was an issue. It worked well. I've calmed down a bit since, so it is no longer an issue. The ability to do swells with the knob on, as others mention, is also cool.

I was using high output humbuckers back in the days when I pulled the volume knob off. The Dimarzo X2N and Seymour Duncan Invader worked well for me. Neither have the F spaced option, but they're so powerful that the pole mis-alignment isn't a big deal.

I have also heard more than one player using a Dimarzio Super Distortion (they now have an F space option). They sound excellent for harder music that might call for a higher output pickup.

13. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Mar 8, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    Repeat after me......"I am not playing an acoustic guitar at a hootenanny" :rolleyes:

awasson likes this.
  14. WelshBluesMan

WelshBluesMan Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2018
    Wales, UK.
    I wouldn't glue the knob in place... Even if you don't use it much, it's handy to have the ability to quickly turn the guitar down without fumbling around with the amp.

To stop yourself knocking the volume down, a simple, cheap and easily reversible trick is to make a little doughnut of foam, and place it around the shaft under the plastic knob. It gives it more resistance to turning, but it still functions perfectly if you want to turn it down.

Some players take the neck pickup's tone pot out completely, rewire the other (bottom) tone pot as a master and move the volume pot down a place. So you basically get a three pickup Telecaster control configuration. It gives you a little bit more room to strum.

awasson likes this.
  15. kellybluz

kellybluz TDPRI Member

Mar 25, 2011
    southern oregon
  16. macatt

macatt Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2007
    silverdale wa
    This works great for me:
    A high friction pot. It turns much stiffer and doesn't move when I bump it.
    Not good for doing swells though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AW7FPPG/?tag=tdpri-20

This one is kind of pricey but worth it.
    There are other brands and sources but you'll have to search them out.

S Mac

17. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    That volume knob placement is only one of the many reasons that I have never been a fan of Strats.

I have heard of people placing an O ring around the threaded part of the shaft to create a bit of friction between the knob and pickguard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.