VOCAL FX

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ce24, Apr 16, 2019.

1. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Do any of you use a vocal FX pedal live? If so, which one and how do you like it....I think im looking for vocal doubling and delay..... Not harmonies..... It's a band situation and we have harmonies covered.
    Cheers

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Our current singer joined us with a Boss vocal unit. A VE20

We did try and really explore using it for dynamic control / compression and limiting and some singer managed delays and reverbs but in the end we found we had what it offered in the desk’s fx module and that suited us. (I was also exploring the pitch correction but don’t say I said that!)

It may suit your case though as it had plenty of options for doubling, dynamics and time based stuff in addition to harmonies which is why we were looking at it. A footswitch will def. save tramping to the desk or forgetting to change back a setting.

ce24 likes this.
  3. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

TC helicon Play Electric
    TC helicon harmony g-xt

they make less featured in stomp box size that will do what you want, look at mic mechanic

Jimmy Dean and ce24 like this.
  4. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Brother, if you heard me sing, you would add several FX:confused::eek: or a gag!

ce24 likes this.
  5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Our drummer has a mic mechanic. Vocal doubling and reverb. It sounds nice.

Jimmy Dean and ce24 like this.
  6. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Mic Mechanic.

ce24 and Jimmy Dean like this.
  7. ce24

Looks like mic mechanic is in my future!!! Thanks guys n gals!

8. studio1087

Side not about the Mic Mechanic......our drummer loves it on his 58 which he booms in from the side because it creates nice Reverb and delay on his snare that we can hear gently in the PA mix. We tried a couple songs with it and his first comment was “this thing sounds great with my drums!” The rest of us said “Brad we can add drum ambience on the board”. He was like a kid in a candy store because he was controlling it.

:cool:

ce24 likes this.
  9. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

:lol::lol::lol:

10. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

I have yet to hear anyone performing with one sound natural. Maybe they will get better. Things usually do improve over time. But for now, I wouldn't use one. Seriously, don't.

Dan

Random1643 likes this.
  11. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

I’ve sung through a Rat. Good times.

scrapyardblue likes this.
  12. studio1087

I think it's how some people tweak them. We have an Allen & Heath board that has nice built in vocal effects. When we think we have the effects set just right we dial them back 15-20%. A little bit of reverb & delay go a long way. The vocal pedals tend to have as many horrible presets as the guitar multi effects boxes that cost under $100. Have you ever tried the guitar factory presets on a Digitech RP55? They are so over the top/bad. I think the vocal pedals are worse.

Your from PA. The company that I work for is headquartered in Philly and I fly into Philly a lot. There's a small acoustic stage in a big food court in the Philly airport and we've encountered an acoustic guy with a harmonizer pedal several times.....same guy. It sounds like Alvin and The Chipmunks playing folk songs and the high ceiling and hard floors amplify everything. I think that they sell more alcohol in the food court because travelers can't take the sound. :eek: If the guy would turn the thing down or off he'd sound good.

I read your post and thought of Philly. Tiny world.

:)

13. ce24

Our board has reverb.... No delay... Right now im using a mini Donner delay pedal in the fx loop of the board. It actually works pretty good But I have no control over it. Not really looking for bells and whistles. That's why the mic mechanic interest me...

14. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

LOL! Yes, the less is more thing is the hardest lesson to learn.

I also hear guys singing flat or sharp and then you have more than one bad note. I guess they are adding pitch correction now. I can hear that a mile away too.

Dan

15. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

If the harmonized voices, and the pitch correction sound too extreme, it's because they are set 100% wet.

If you dial this stuff down, it sounds far more natural.
    when set subtly, it is totally lost in the band mix and just adds to our vocals in their entirety.
    It's far more obvious when you are performing solo as there is nothing else to hide the harmonies/Auto tune. So you still end up using less if you don't want it to sound odd...

ce24 likes this.
  16. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

I've successfully used an older Digitech Vocal 300 pedal to add delay, doubling and echoes to the band's live vocal mix through the EFX loop on our mixer. I set 5 different presets that I can step thru as well as mute... like doubling, "Elvis" slapback, short echo, medium echo w repeats, and a longer spacey echo. Control the wet mix with the treadle.
    The V300 does many more things but I only need these simple effects from it. I''ve also used Boss DM3 and DD3 pedals in the loop with OK results... better than nothing!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 12:32 PM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.