Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

VM and CV Price Increase

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Synapse2k, Feb 2, 2016.

1. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    That's how Squier started, but it seems they've been slowly working their way up the market since the Pro Tones in the '90s. There's definitely nothing "budget" about the Squier Classic Vibes. I used to think that Squier was a test bed for an eventual shift of Fender production to Asia (CVs could easily be sold for a higher price if they had a Fender decal), but it looks like Squier is being developed as its own entity. The Pro Tone line was abruptly abandoned when they started cutting into Fender sales, but it seems like the CVs were designed to coexist with their Fender counterparts.

2. tomee

tomee TDPRI Member

Dec 31, 2010
    ontario
    5 years ago this month I bought mine for $348 taxes included at L&M online! They had none in the stores - I bought it based completely on the rave opinions I read here. You all did me a great favour - thank you.

3. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I think it is a test bed... If I'm correct there were no Fenders made in China or Indonesia a few years ago, but now there are. The Modern Player series is made in China and I recently saw one of the signature Fender models on ebay with "Made in Indonesia" on it (I don't remember which one).

I also think that a lot of people (myself included) think that the CV series is very good, some say equally good, some say better than MIM Fenders. I don't want to start a discussion about it, but in my opnionion the CV series could easily be sold with a "Fender" decal, without giving negative publicity for the the brand. (and could probably be sold at a higher price than they are sold now)

In my opinion, it would be nice if the Squier brand had two "types" of guitars: "budget" guitars and "modified"

• "budget" guitars (part 1) like a cheap one (Affinity-like with "lower grade" hardware and cheaper ceramic pickups), not necessarily compatible with Fender parts
    • "budget" guitars (part 2) "Standard" like series with the "regular classic models" (50's, 60's, 69 thinline, 72 thinline, 72 custom, 72 deluxe) (with better pickups and partswise compatible with the higher end MIM/MIA Fender parts). Most of these models were sold in the "VM" series in the past decade. These could be a good base for modifications as well.
    • "Modified" guitars with "alternative" configurations: I'd love to see the cabronita return into the Squier lineup, a fat tele, a double fat tele, why not a SSH or HSS (with or without middel strat pickup) ... guitars with a bigsby or strat tremelo, 12-string, whatever... The modifieds could all be "limited" run. (God, how I love that dual P90 VM model). I wouldn't call this "vintage" modified, but just "modified" to allow for very modern "creations"
    In this case Squier could also be a testbed for Fender again, to see if these "alternate" configurations are succesful or not. No matter how much I love the CV series, I don't think they should be sold under the Squier brand, and neither should the Artist series.

So MY conclusion in the "price discussion" (no one has to agree) is that Squiers should stay "affordable" for anyone that wants to start playing/experimenting with guitars. If a certain model is that good and sells far more than the expectations of the brand, Fender should sell them as Fender, no matter where they are made.

4. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2010
    Detroit
    Not a Tele But Still A Good Deal?

I've always wanted to try the shorter scale Jaguar and was sad to see the recent price increase on all the Squire CV and VM models. But this morning I came across a good deal.

Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar for $249.99 w/free ship ( promo code: 1PRPLEHAZE ).

Code only works for the 3-color sunburst. Grabbed me one, hope it helps someone else.

5. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    Nice! Enjoy it, i have one in sunburst too, bought it 2012.;)

6. I've thought often about either a Jaguar or Jazzmaster but just never made it there. Very satisfied with my collection of Teles and Strats. All those switches would drive me crazy I think.

7. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    First japanese Squiers in 1982-83 were same as MIJ Fenders in that period!
    CV`s have not yet beat their quality. Close, but not same.;)

8. tomee

tomee TDPRI Member

Dec 31, 2010
    ontario
    One side effect of the price increase up here seems to be the demand for used Squier Teles. Almost none for sale. Plenty of Squier Strats though.

9. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Same thing at my side of the Atlantic, but I don't think that's a good thing, especially if you're GASsing for a nice second hand Squier tele... The prices are also very high...

10. PaisleyAddict

PaisleyAddict Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2015
    Springfield
    it's cool everybody likes the classic vibes. i wouldn't pay money for one though. every one i've played felt cheap, they were all too heavy, and the tone sucked. not worth $400.

11. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Apr 7, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Good thing I already got what I want

12. Totally opposite for the 4 I own.

13. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden

Homer, is it you?;)

14. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    All the more for me!

I just picked up a used CV Tele Custom, and I'd take it all day over any Fender MIM Standard. It's about on par with the '60s Classic Tele I had years ago, but for half the price.

15. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    Thanks for chiming just to dump on the topic of discussion. Thanks for the negativity! ;)

16. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    One thing thats become more than apparent to me over the years is this. Especially with a tele, it's a simple machine that really cannot be very different from low end to high end all things being equal. What i mean by that is if you take say a CVC and compared it to a AVRI62 ***AFTER*** making sure that there are no compromises in the electronics or hardware, they just can't differ much. If the design is the same, and like me you put a USA plate and saddles on it and pickups that tonally match it well, it's going to be a matter of tossing a coin as to which will sound best. Yes, the AVRI might just because they may tap tone the wood, but thats not even a sure thing, not even close.

The point is, after a few bucks worth of upgrade the only thing that separates them Is the wood and neck size. yes, the squire necks are thin but thats not a negative, it''s just different. So what you end up with is wood. Theres just no magic there except thru pure luck when you happen upon a piece of wood thats been blessed by the god of tone, and that can happen with any model. The squiers are built about as well as the higher end stiff with a few inconsequential imperfections here or there.

So the fact is theres just nothing the builder can do to insure a $2k tele is going to sound better than a $300-400 CV. If someone played a few and thought they felt cheap, i could write a book on why he thought so but long story short play mine than say that. You won't. My CVC quickly because my #1 and fav tele to date of ANY line/price range. And this particular one is 100% flawless in build quality. Easily as good and probably better than my former #1 classic series 50's tele thats the best built one of those i have owned. Worlds better built than the classic series 60's i just sold. (what a POS that was) Anyone who writes off CV's as cheap just isn't evaluating them properly. Maybe the thin neck felt cheap, and i get that. But it;s not, it;s just different.

I honestly would not trade my CVC for a no longer made AVRI 62. Crazy? Why? I love it in every way to the point i would not change a thing is i could snap my fingers and do so. The AVRI would have a thicker neck too, and the thin neck on this thing has me playing better than i have in years. So i just cannot agree with the notion they are all cheap except in price. Some, yes. But that classic 60's i sold was utter junk and cost 2.5 times as much as my CVC. So it goes for all lines. You just gotta find the good ones.

17. Macatowa

Macatowa TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Holland, MI
    Its the quality of the hardware that is really the big difference. I have a 10 or guitars, squires, MIM, USA Tele, and the quality of hardware and QC on the more expensive ones is what your paying for. I have a Squier 72 thinline and really like it, however the PCB three way switch failed and needed to be replaced. Yeah and inconvenience and a new quality $15 three way and hot iron fixed it, but it was the fact that for $300 buck thats what your going to get.

18. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    I've always thought one of the big differences (aside from superior pickups, wood and finish) was that some genuine care and attention was applied in the fret finishing, set-up etc. Expert human care intervention, essentially.

I've been surprised how close to perfection a MIM, CIJ, MIJ or MIC can be with that human care intervention that, for the most part, I can provide and that with fret work, my luthier can do for me. With really good MIM, for example, my 60s Classic, that extra time and care elevates to from the damn good to the superb.

19. PaisleyAddict

PaisleyAddict Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2015
    Springfield
    any time. about the only thing good i have to say about a classic vibe is that it looks nice.

20. olie

olie TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Picton,Ont. Canada
    Well-nice try, but I can't see you getting in the last word being that it is so graceless.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.