Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

VM and CV Price Increase

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Synapse2k, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Synapse2k

Synapse2k TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Anyone else notice the price go up? CV tele 50's by $20 to $399 and CVC tele up $50 to $449.

2. crumpler

crumpler Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2009
    warrenton.va.us
    yup.

The CV Thinline went up to $450 as well...

3. MHtele

MHtele TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Kentucky
    Fwiw...As of about 1:00 am est Wed the 3rd prices had not been increased online at Guitar Center...yet. Sweetwater has indeed raised the prices at theirs.

4. Tiga

Tiga TDPRI Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I wonder if this is to push sales toward the Modern Player Series.

5. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I wanted to take my time and think about whether to jump on the 72 thinline, but looks like i may grab one this weekend or it'll be too late. I guess they just realized how crazy low the price was on those. Or the imitial price was to get interest up and get the word out before they jack it up. In any case, i'll have to make a decision asap of i'm out of luck.

6. rjbee

rjbee NEW MEMBER!

Feb 3, 2016
    Tucson
    Probably because of all the positive feedback we have given the Classic Vibe line IMO

7. fakeplastic

fakeplastic Tele-Meister

Feb 24, 2007
    BC
    The 72 Thinline went from $299 to $449? Ouch! That's a $150 increase on a $300 guitar, if they want to raise the prices a bit, ok, but come on!

8. Ouch, so glad I already have my CV's!

9. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    There aren't many left in that series. But yeah, that's a good liquidation technique.

10. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2014
    Vermont

Talk about price hikes, I decided to buy a Squier VM Jaguar in surf green. MF had them in that color only for $199 this morning. I called this afternoon to order, and they had doubled in price ($399)! Their website still showed them starting at $199, but when you select a color, they all are shown at the higher prices. They wouldn't honor their morning price.

So I checked GC. Same listing on their website (they were also $199 this morning). But they were very helpful, and sold me a surf green Jaguar for the $199. Funny, all of my business has been with MF over the past years, but they wouldn't do anything for me. I have bought a lot of gear from them. I have done very little trade with GC, but they honored the morning price. Same parent company, but much better customer service. Go figure.

The overnight Squier price hikes are crazy, some as much as 100%. And apparently not much of a showing at NAMM.

Anyway, I have a new surf green Jaguar heading my way. Life is good!

11. Synapse2k

Synapse2k TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Interesting because MF is owned by GC.

12. Synapse2k

Synapse2k TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yup. It's just a matter of trying to squeeze out more profits but at $450, they aren't a great deal anymore. You can get an indonesian g&l for less and they are superior instruments, IMO

13. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Add 100 to that price in Canada! 559.00 for a CVC now. I paid 399 for mine in 2013

14. olie

olie TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Picton,Ont. Canada
    Am I ever glad I got my CVC @ Long and McQuade for $300 used in mint condition 3 months ago! Timing is everything.Same thing happened with Epiphone-the DR-500MCE went from Can. $649 to $949 in just over a year.These "bargain brands" were too good to leave alone.

15. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    At those prices, you'd be better off with a newer-used MIM Standard. Just all around better build quality, neck & hardware. Pickups are always an easy upgrade. I found too many compromises with the CV I had, so mine got traded for an FSR - an infinitely better Tele. And having gotten in at the pre-increase price, a lot of Tele for the money.

16. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2013
    Lancashire UK
    I was checking the CV 50 & the CV Thin line out a few weeks back over here.
    The CV 50's are £340 / $496
    The CV Thin lines are £379 / $552.40

The MIM standards are £441 / $642.77

17. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Personally, I'd take a CV all day long over a MIM. AFAIK, those FSRs are basically Standards with different colors and a 3-barrel bridge, right? I greatly prefer the "vintage" style tuners and the alnico pickups on the CV, and the fit & finish on the CVs I've played blows every single MIM Standard I've ever seen out of the water. The only area I'd rate the MIM higher is in the pots & switch (and the trem on Strats), which is a $25/$50 upgrade. But the necks are different, and if you prefer the MIM neck that's a major factor.

18. JustEd

JustEd Tele-Meister

May 25, 2014
    Apopka
    I'll just go ahead and say it, John Mayer was right when he stated that Fender was not the same company any more.

I mean, they made Bono and Edge board members. Huh?

I think they're going the Gibson route by the look of things lately.

19. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Lets start dissing quick! My VM tele special is a PO... I can't do it! :lol:

20. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    The CV thineline was $399, not $299

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.