Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Visual Sound Overdrives

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by blowtorch, Feb 28, 2013.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    My very favorite overdrive pedal sound is from my beloved old silver Jekyll & Hyde (the Jekyll side of course, with the gain turned all the way down, the level cranked, and tone to taste).

The newer versions aren't as good to my ear but are still good. I also own an older Route 66 that sounds the same on the drive side. And I recently bought a Route 808 that while it doesn't sound magical like Old Silver, is very very good.

Who else wants to join the VS OD club?

2. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

Nov 11, 2010
    Wolverhampton UK
    I have a route 808.

somewhere....

3. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco

4. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

Nov 11, 2010
    Wolverhampton UK
    why the oops?

its a Visual Sound OD pedal.

I leant it out to someone, i kind if want it back now :twisted:

5. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    sorry i misposted in what I thought was a different thread

Yeah, I'd want it back, too, though!

6. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

Jul 27, 2006
    offline and IRL
    I got an older (one switch for OD bass boost) Route 66, which I got at Swop Shop in Melbourne a few years ago.

I like it a lot.

7. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    My Open Road is one of my go-to ODs.

8. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2003
    Manila
    IMO, the best VS pedal ever would be a 2-in-1 Open Road + Route 808. If they would issue this, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I've owned those, and a Double Trouble. Their 808 version is one of the quietest TS clones I've ever used.

Lots of pet peeves though: strange shape and size, weak pot shafts, and difficulty of sticking velcro on under the pedals.

9. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    The Open Road is a Nobels ODR1 clone from my understanding.

10. JoyandHope

JoyandHope TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2013
    New Jersey
    With Open Road and Jekyll&Hyde, you seem to cover all OD/boost/distortion.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013

11. Headshot

Headshot Tele-Meister

Apr 8, 2009
    South Florida
    I have a Double Trouble and just traded for a first version Route 66. The funny part is I use these for jazz...the DT is set up with one side no gain, tone cut, and bass boost on while the other side has the gain at about 9:00 the tone at 12:00 and the bass boost off.

Not sure how I will set up the Route 66 yet, but look forward to messing with it.

12. Headshot

Headshot Tele-Meister

Apr 8, 2009
    South Florida
    ok, got the Route 66 and have been tweaking and fumbling...so far I have the Comp side set with Sustain, Tone, and Gain all at 9:00, and the OD side has Drive at 9:00 and the Tone and Volume at 12:00. I will mess with it some more, but anyone have any ideas for a simple slightly creamy sound set up for humbuckers?

13. JoyandHope

JoyandHope TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2013
    New Jersey
    For those with Open Road and Jekyll/Hyde.
    I recently asked Visual Sound if they had any thoughts on the order of Jekyll/Hyde and Open Road in the signal chain.
    They said that they like to think of Open Road as the amp and prefer to put most overdrives before it.
    I am still trying to get the right tone out of these pedals.

14. DarthPastor

DarthPastor TDPRI Member

May 9, 2014
    California
    Route 66 V2. Love it. Hopefully Open Road someday. Just waiting for a good price on craigslist.

15. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2014
    Franklin, VT
    I own a Rt. 808 I picked up used on the Bay, and it has been a mainstay on my board for almost two years now. I just ordered a VS-XO, hope to have it in time for the weekend.

16. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Man I am like VS posterboy, with my two Jekyll/Hyde pedals (one silver,one red), a Route 66, a Route 808, and a VS-XO.

17. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

18. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco

19. thegreatshocka

thegreatshocka Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Got a VS Double Trouble. I get some really nice sounds out of it using the right side as a boost with low drive and high level. The left side I set at moderate gain and then feed it into my Soul Food, which sounds fantastic. Fore the 60 odd bucks I paid for it, I am very pleased with the Double Trouble. Wish I had more space on my pedal board for a Jekyll & Hyde.

20. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2003
    Manila
    Since you already have the Dr. Jekyll side in your Double Trouble, all you need is the Son of Hyde. smaller footprint...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.