Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Visiting Paris in April

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by allen082, Mar 20, 2017.

1. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

Jul 16, 2009
    fort worth
    Through a weird chain of events, I will be heading to Paris at the end of April for a week. Aside from the usual tourist stuff, and a day trip to London to see my beloved Chelsea play, any advice for things to do?

Fun restaurants, shops, museums? Obviously, there's a ton to do, but I'd love to hear of anything interesting you've done there.

[​IMG]

2. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2003
    ohio
    I've seen some recent vids of Paris. It would appear that it ain't what it was!

howlin likes this.

3. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    Go to the top of the arc de triomphe before wandering down to the eiffel tower

Montmartre at night

No bois de bologne!

Napoleon's tomb and surrounding stuff nice

4. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    Not much to see or do there.

Actually, I kinda like walking around aimlessly.

What are you interested in? Art? Shopping?

Cheers,
    Geoff

5. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Dinner in the Restaurant Quarter near Montmartre, view Paris from steps of same church. Train out to Versailles. River boat on Seine, walk from Notre Dame to Arc de Triomphe turning off Champs de elysee to walk some of the back avenues.

6. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2003
    Fayetteville, AR
    Prepare yourself for the Romani.

7. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    There is a artists paint store Sennelier across the river from the Louvre which has had many famous artists as patrons. It is fairly close to the Musée d'Orsay which has probably the best collection of impressionist and post impressionist art if you enjoy it.

Tommy Biggs likes this.

8. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2003
    ohio

9. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    I always stay in the Latin Quarter, most of my friends are academics, and I love nosing around the libraries and bookstores. It is also just across the river from the Notre Dame cathedral.

Breakfast at the Cafe de Flore is wonderful, especially the cheese omelette. For dinner, about 20 minutes away is the Comptoir de la Gastronomie restaurant, on rue Montmartre, it is quite good, and is reasonable.

A good place to take your wife or GF would be Spring, which is near the Louvre. They have a great chef, and a huge wine list. There is always an interesting crowd at Spring, but you need to make a reservation, you can find them through google.

Have fun in Paris, I wish I could go again soon, but we have a two-year-old daughter, and Paris is a little too far from Tokyo for her liking.

10. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    1) For excellent "down home" French cooking at a reasonable price go to L'Epoque, 81 Rue du Cardinal Lemoine in the 5th arrondisement for lunch or dinner.
    2) For a GREAT blow-out meal at a superb (one Michelin star) restaurant go FOR LUNCH to the Jules Verne on the second level (450 feet up) of the Eiffel Tower (http://www.lejulesverne-paris.com/en). The food and service at lunch is half the cost at dinner (still €105 plus wine per person) and you can go to the top for free after eating.
    3) Ditch the Louvre and go to the Musee D'Orsay. Modern art, photographs, things on the wall that you'll go "I've seen pictures of that!"
    4) Consider a weekly Navigo card (http://parisbytrain.com/paris-train-metro-week-pass-navigo-decouverte/) that will get you unlimited travel for a calendar week anywhere in the Paris region for about €25 on the Metro, the RER (suburban rail) and buses. A much better deal than the tourist cards that RATP (the Metro operator) sell if you're there for a calendar week.

I have more but it's time for dinner.

11. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    Oh yeah. If you're considering the Jules Verne BOOK NOW (on line).

12. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Feb 24, 2005
    FL
    Definitely go to the Musée d'Orsay. It is all impressionist (Monet, Manet, Degas, Gaugin, Van Gogh...). Incredible!

The Louvre was disappointing.

Tommy Biggs likes this.

13. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2016
    The wife went and said it was extremely dirty, homeless/beggars(particularly at the eiffel tower) and prostitutes are pretty rampant.

She went to a pretty high end resteraunt where she said a large white cat was allowed in the kitchen...

Overall she was let down and couldn't see why it is considered the romance capital of the world.

Have fun, and be safe!!

14. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Tele-Afflicted

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern NJ
    I didn't think the Louvre was disappointing, but it can be a slog!
    Musee d'Orsay is the fantastic though. It's open at night. Go late, take the elevator to the top and work your way down. Look for the grouping of the Monet Rouen cathedral. Sit there for a few minutes... it's worth it.

15. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't think I'll ever make it to Paris. I was always hoping I'd make it because I wanted to seek out the whereabouts of a particular location of fable. I've dreamed of it since the age of nine or so. Could you look around while you're over there? Maybe you'll find it..."there's a place in France where the ladies wear no pants". Pics please...

John Backlund likes this.

16. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2015
    ca
    i agree... not wanting to piss on ya parade or anything but i think paris is very over rated... just like any other big euro city...

give me morzine, les gets and the alps any day... that is the only region of france i ll ever bother to revisit...

anyway, whatever you do... have fun, it s a big world

17. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

Jul 16, 2009
    fort worth
    I'm definitely in to walking around aimlessly. Mostly interested in dining, but can also appreciate the art and history.

Thanks for the dining recommendations. I will definitely check those out. Definitely seems like stuff I'd be really interested in.

This is awesome info. I'll look in to Jules Verne reservations this morning.

It is a big world, and I've seen maybe 1% of it. It's a free trip so I just want to make the most of it.

ozcal likes this.

18. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I love Paris. Haven't been there in quite a few years but having a drink while sitting outside in a cafe on the Champs Elysees and watching the world roll by is a great way to enjoy the city.

19. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    I would venture a guess that those who say there is not much to see or do in Paris have been there so much maybe that it's like me living in NYC and saying basically the same thing. Either that or they just like to piss on other people's fun plans because they aren't part of them. :p Lol

For a first time tourist (or second or third time), there's a ton to do and see there, of course. My wife loves Paris more than I do, but we always have a good time when we go. The museums of course are excellent, though I agree that the Louvre can be a pain. We went over Thanksgiving this last year to visit friends who live in Reims, and we toured the Catacombs for the first time. THAT was an interesting tour. o_O

IMG_0328.JPG IMG_0336.JPG IMG_0349.JPG IMG_0350.JPG

We also love Montmartre and Pigalle. Notre Dame is of course very cool, but so is Sacre Coeur. The walk along the Champs Elysees can be neat depending on whether there is a fair there or not, but the view of and from the Arc de Triomphe is awesome.

20. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2013
    Sweden
    Je suis Charlie

Mjark likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.