Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Virtual Pedalboard Idea

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Octorfunk, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2014
    Midwest
    Is there a reason why this wouldn't work for a pedalboard/switcher?

Virtual-Keyboard-From-Brookstone-01.jpg
    (Here's a link in case the image doesn't work: https://goo.gl/images/HKZzJH)

The projection device would be the "brain" of the unit, the place where all the IN/OUTS would be, and it would obviously need to be connected to some sort of software like BIAS, but it's just something I was thinking about the other day.

Pros:
    - Footprint: it could be adjustable dependent upon your space requirements.
    - Lighting: obviously this would be visible in very low light, the darker the better
    - Few moving/breakable parts. Besides the projection unit itself, there would be anything actually getting stepped on, not to mention it would be impossible to accidentally kick a knob. (I realize that many of us, myself included, like to have access to knobs on the floor, so this obviously isn't for everyone).

Cons:
    - Zero tweakability during live use: unless it is somehow paired with an iPad or similar device with access to the actual effects, there's not going to be any way to tweak/adjust effects on the fly (unless of course you're scrolling through patches)
    - I don't see how this would work with wah/volume/expression pedals. Obviously an actual expression pedal could sit on the floor, but at what point does that begin to defeat the purpose of a "pedal-less" pedalboard?

This is just an idea, I would love to hear what you guys think as for the feasibility and general concept.
    Thanks!

Felino and adamgdog like this.

2. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011

3. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    How do you use your fingers to play guitar at the same time you need your fingers to work this?

4. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    The same way you used your fingers to play and type this.
    But mostly I see feet being used.
    Technology is great.
    But why fix it if it's not broken

5. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2016
    Sweden
    And that kind of thinking is why 80% of the guitar/bass industry is not able to move forward... wich i dont actually mind though! I like tube amps and analog pedals and all.
    But sometimes i think the mixture of "old thinking vs new thinking" should be more like 50/50...
    But we now how it is... throw us an old analog circuit in a pedal (and goop it from being recognized as a copy of something already been done) and claim Its the unicorn of guitar tone, and there we are, jumping all over it. :D hard to move forward when the mass wont support you.

mitchfinck likes this.

6. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2014
    Midwest
    All valid points, thanks!

It was really just an idea, and I was wondering how you guys would react. It's obviously going to appeal far greater to those who don't mind digital, and less (if at all) to those who have their pedalboard just how they like it.

I've been more of a multi-effects guy for a while now, which is probably why the concept seems interesting to me.

Honestly, it's hard for me to imagine anything truly innovative or new coming to the world of pedals. We have 1,000's of stompboxes, tons of emulators that fit those pedals into compact multi-effects units, what else is there really? (besides becoming better at playing guitar haha). It would be awesome to see some true innovation, but I honestly can't even begin to think what that would look like.

7. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2014
    Midwest
    And it looks like I'm late to the party. The idea of a flat trigger like this had crossed my mind, but for me we might as well go all the way and get rid of something else that's physically getting stepped on and eventually breaking. Great idea though!

8. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Well a few years ago we had VHS tapes and dvd's, now it's all streaming and downloads, so who knows where it's going to go

9. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2016
    Sweden
    I actually embrase new stuff. My board is now built around a Vox mv50 clean, Boss MS-3 and a few dirt pedals. All on one small board. Works great.

10. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    Great idea, Octorfunk! Really inovative.
    I would add some kind of on/off indicator in every fx square, some extra light dots or double line or something.

11. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I really like the idea of technological support and automation of manual stuff that no longer needs to be done manually.

I even had an idea (no doubt similar to many before me) for a string-less guitar - just a very sensitive electronic fret-board (that could detect string bends, etc) and a sensor "pad" where the pickups were - that detects a pick (a bit like a graphics tablet and stylus).

Then there'd be an electronic interface with the amp - or even direct to a mixing desk / PA (no trailing wires), all the effects could be handled by the OP's idea....

I'm not sure it's for the purists but it may even exist in some form (I don't know much about this sort of thing). However, I think my inner Luddite would prefer a Tele, an amp and pedals that you can stamp on/off :)

Felino likes this.

12. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2014
    Midwest
    Agreed. And with the whole thing being a projection, I wouldn't see why there couldn't be some sort of color change for on/off.

13. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2014
    Midwest
    Same here, there will always be a part of me that wants a physical box with 3 knobs on it that I can mess with on the fly. Even though some of the newest technological advances might be more powerful and/or capable, I'm still a simpleton, and I need to have easy access to change stuff!

If this projected pedalboard ever gets made, I won't be a customer, I just thought that with all the effects switchers out there it could definitely work for some people.

Paul Jenkin likes this.

14. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Alex Lifeson, guitarist with my favourite band, went through a phase back in the 80s / 90s, of having a pedal board the size of a small European country. For me, his sound suffered. However, I think you're right, he and a number of others would probably have loved to have played with this type of technology.

Personally, I'm sufficiently new to playing the guitar that pedals aren't really on the agenda. I've picked up a couple - a ColorSound Tone Bender (fuzz) and a Dr Z Z-Drive (switchable Germanium and Mosfet overdrive pedal). I have no idea how to get the best out of them yet but my amp is very "clean" - especially at bedroom volume - and these should help dirty it up a bit.

15. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    Ever seen "Speechless" on TV? Control effects with laser headband (cursor) targeted at parameters on iPad screen.
    Pros: Hands-free. Also, foot-free.
    Cons: Get out your wallet $$$.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.