Virgil's Vintage - Blackguard partscaster

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by roknfnrol, May 22, 2019.

1. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

I'm pretty excited to have this guitar in my possession (borrowing). Dig this Blackguard style guitar from Virgil's Vintage Guitars. Ron makes some killer partscasters with great attention to detail. Here are the specs:

BODY
    - 4lb. two piece vertical grained swamp ash, hand shaped to early 50 Fender spec.
    - Finished in color matched 1951-54 Blond Nitrocellulose lacquer with realistic aging and lacquer checking typical of what you’d find on a cared for 65 year old guitar.

NECK
    - One piece quartersawn maple, hand carved full soft “V” profile with semi-rolled fingerboard edges.
    - 1.65” widths @ nut.
    - .86” depth @ 1st fret.
    - .97” “ “ 12th fret.
    - 9.5” radius.
    - Heel adjust dual acting truss rod.
    - Medium frets.
    - Finished in tinted Nitrocellulose lacquer with light aging and lacquer checking.

WEIGHT
    -7.1lbs total

ELECTRONICS
    - Klein Epic 1952 pickups (see website for details). Beautifully balanced Blackguard tone. CRL three way switch, vintage CTS 250K pots, vintage Aerovox.03mfd capacitor.

HARDWARE
    - Hand aged hardware includes: Fender bridge plate with Glendale in-line compensated 1/4” steel saddles, hand sanded and aged Bakelite pickguard, Kluson Supreme tuners.

Here it is with my Muleskinner tweed style amp cranked:

clackers49, Stubee, Bruxist and 3 others like this.
  2. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Cool, you found the blackguard you have been looking for. Sounds great!

roknfnrol likes this.
  3. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

Damn that sounds fat!

roknfnrol likes this.
  4. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Been eye balling Virgils builds for some time now, this vid just might seal the deal! Mighty fine picking.....

roknfnrol likes this.
  5. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Looks and sounds great! Sure looks to me like that exact guitar is for sale on Reverb...

One thing I've been thinking on: blackguards are often known (popularly, at least) for having big ol' necks. The specs you list there (.86"-.97") are almost identical to the Broadcaster/Telecaster neck specs (depth at 1st and 12th) of the two featured ones in the recent issue of Guitarist magazine:

1950 Broadcaster, p. 64: .85"-.99"
    1952 Telecaster, p. 66: .85"-.97"

Sure, they have a bit of girth, but they're not at all 1"-1" like an Allparts TMO-FAT, a Warmoth Fatback, or a Warmoth Boatneck. The MIM James Burton Tele neck from the mid-90's (maybe the current MIA one, too) and the MIJ '52 Telecaster reissue necks from the early- to mid-90's are both bigger than that down toward the headstock. Same for the Allparts TRO-V.

Also thinking on this: I continue to find it interesting, maybe even a bit humorous, that folks making these wonderful blackguard clones go to all the trouble for the details, but use a 9.5"-radiused fretboard. That includes the Fender Custom Shop. Of course that's where the desires of the modern player come in, and that's fine. But it's an interesting trend, nonetheless.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
  6. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

It is the exact guitar on reverb, I am only borrowing it to make a few vids and help him get him name out and about. I do prefer the modern radius. It's invisible to the eye and feels great!

TeleTown and theprofessor like this.
  7. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

I made a MJT Broadcaster with a Musikraft 1" neck similar to the Allparts FAT neck. It sounded great with a light ash body and Mare Donocasters but was just too big for my liking. My recent build I used an Allparts TMO-C (avatar) which is a 10" radius with 6105 frets and love it. I don't mind a 7.25 radius but vintage frets are not my favorite.

roknfnrol likes this.
  8. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

New video!

Gear:
    Virgil's 52 replica w/ Klein Epic 52 set
    EQ Cables
    Digitech Hardwire Reverb
    Muleskinner 1x12 amp with 6L6s

RYAN1987M, theprofessor and baiff like this.
  9. hamerfan

hamerfan TDPRI Member

If you are playing 50ies music only, the 7.5 might be the right choice.
    Fun fact: Dan Erlewine analyses the neck curve on incoming vintage instruments in his vids. He bends each fret wire piece fitting the board at that place to prevent the need of sanding a vintage board. He finds rarely 7.5 curves but more often 9.5 or enven 10.

theprofessor likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.