Virgil Arlo or Lollar Humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by 1952stuff, Aug 3, 2016.

1. 1952stuff

1952stuff TDPRI Member

Hi.....first , if this is covered here ...please excuse..I didn't see it.

I am interested in swapping the Fender humbuckers on my Amer Standard Tele HH. I already have a Warmoth neck and Callahan brass saddle bridge so this will complete the improvements (I hope)

There are several Virgil Arlo You tube demos like:

and with this player and his set up I think the clean sound he's getting...as much as obne can tell from a online demo is exceptionally clean and nice.

The tech guy I use just installed a set and was not impressed by them and recommends Lollar Imperials...Low wind for the neck and Standard on the bridge. He has no bias and has great technical expertise.

So much more depends on the "DNA" of the player then the guitar for the most part but I feel that whatever optimizes my sound potential is going to keep reinvigorating me.

Also, I don't mind saving several hundred on the pickups but will ante up for the better sound.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. WallyD

WallyD TDPRI Member

The Arlo’s are in class by themselves. I’ve tried Holmes, Ellis, Throbak, Lollar and they are all great but there is something really vintage sounding about the Arlo’s. I don’t know what he does different but they sound almost identical to old vintage PAF’s that I’ve heard.

3. 1952stuff

1952stuff TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply. It seems most agree from more internet scanning. I've not tried Arlo's and have played Lollar Imperials on different Collings guitars. I have also played a vintage Les Paul Standard. The Lollars don't sound particularly 'vintage ' to me but they sound really nice..especially on the bridge they have a very 'sparkly' bright lovely sound.

Maybe I should rephrase my question.....From your comment and others on different forums it seems that Arlo is the way to go to capture a true OPTIMAL vintage sound. What I am after is not necessarily vintage, so much as relatively "great."

When PAF's were introduced years ago...before they were4 "vintage" it was just a more or less distinctive sound. Forgetting about cost...(something difficult to do in reality) I just want thesound I like most and I don't know if I'll be able to find a swet of Arlos to try before I buy.

Anyway...I'm not going to confuse myself much longer and since the Arlo's take awhile for delivery if I go that way it'll be soon.

4. WallyD

WallyD TDPRI Member

To me vintage sounding PAF’s are warm when you want and mean when you want. The Arlo’s deliver this for me, they are just really dynamic. For lack of a better word they feel alive…kind of like a killer tube amp. We are all different, you might need to try them both. I’ve seen the Arlo’s sell on ebay for more than they do new, so it wouldn’t be a loss if you decided to sell later. Not to confuse the issue, but I just put some pickups in an old Epi. I didn’t want to spend $600 on pickups for this guitar so I tried the Blues PAF’s from Tone Specific and they were really very close to the Arlo’s for much less. The Arlo’s are better but the Tone Specific’s to my ears were superior to everything else.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.