Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Vinyl Revival

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ricknbaker, Jan 11, 2017.

1. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2016
    Minneapolis
    I am not an audiophile, but I always liked vynils... for a simple reason: i have more than 1500 of them, some are 50 yo, and they still work great (i take care of them).
    I have a lot of cds that are just dead...the materials, the quality control, they could be pretty bad. In the 90's, they told us that cds will last forever... it is now proved that most of it is BS.
    I also have 2 external hard drive with more than 45000 pieces of music (mostly .flac and .ogg) but who knows how long these hd will last ?
    to me, it is not about the sound, it is surely not about being a hipster, but about longevity.

funny that people listening to records are qualified as "hipsters ". so what do you call most of people here on this forum who play Tele in a single channel 50yo amp ? a 60yo plank in an ol' tube device ? if listening to records is hip, then what is that ?
    I play a Tele (half a century old concept) into a 5f1 (ditto ) with NOS tubes (ditto again), and I don't think I am a hipster, nor when i listen to my records...
    it is just a matter of taste, i don't see that as negatively hip... my .02cts

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Tacotuesday and BorderRadio like this.
  2. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    Vinyl was dead by the time I was born. Growing up, sometimes we would get dad's old record player out and play some of his vinyls from the late 70s/early 80s.
    Then the other year I was at an album release party for a band I really liked and picked up the "special, pre-release" version of their album... got dad's old record player out and it decided to no longer work.
    At the time I wasn't quite up for the idea of repairing it, so I went and found an older, well taken care of Japanese turntable which happened to work flawlessly. Figured while I was in the store I should pick up a few more records.

Now I'm hooked.

I like the tactile sensation and the ritual of it all. It turns listening to music into something important - an actual experience. Now myself and a few friends are into it and have record nights. There's also a group in my home town that have a BYOV (Bring Your Own Vinyl) night at a local bar once a month.
    Great.

3. Tacotuesday

Tacotuesday Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Pacific NW, US
    As several others have said, I listen to vinyl for a variety of reasons. It's not the only medium I use, and I'm certainly not an audiophile in refinement or budget, but I enjoy it.

1. It's an active listening experience, often with friends, instead of passive consumption while on the bus.

2. There are a lot of small local bands (and entire genres) who prefer to release straight to vinyl, and I like to support that. They make better profits, and I get an actual object to touch and read and appreciate.

3. Actual record stores are something I want to be in my city (as opposed to Spotify servers in godknowswhere), so I give them my money. Same with the places that service/sell/repair audio gear. Same goes for bookstores.

3. I've discovered a lot of music that I like by going "hmm, interesting cover. Yeah, I'll try it for $1." I like that. There's only so much Jim Nabors a person can take, but there's still interesting stuff to be had out there at affordable prices.

4. Old analog gear does often sound better to me, and fills a room in a way that laptop speakers just can't. I'm not a super-advanced listener, but I know that you can buy mid-range and prosumer '70s and '80s speakers all day long at thrift stores for a fraction of what new gear costs. The same logic that goes for Peavey amps goes for my old Fisher towers: they're not flashy, but they're cheap, durable, and they sound good.

Would I pay $75 for a Fleetwood Mac album? Nope. Do I enjoy finding and listening to old country or jazz or experimental, or buying new albums when I go to a show? You betcha.

Besides, saying "Hey baby, wanna come upstairs and listen to Pandora with me?" never worked for anyone. But Roberta Flack's Chapter Two? Oh yeah. ;)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Yes and yes...

6. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

May 17, 2009
    Arkansas
    I hated vinyl when it was my only choice and I still hate it. It makes about as much sense as dumping computers and returning to the abacus.

Boubou likes this.
  7. claes

claes Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2007
    sweden
    I dont now if vinyls really is better than cds. The sleves definetly was. jesus christ superstar (the box), the white album, sticky fingers, the pictures on "exile on mainstreet"...not to mention the lyrics.

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Today's hipster is tomorrow's curmudgeon, it's a scientifically proven fact!

Anyone who has been making music or has a deep love affair with it never really left any medium--ask any crate digger. Nothing lasts forever either...but long live vinyl! long live tubes! long live Telecasters!

Bellacaster likes this.
  9. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Why? oh but why are we considered as "hipsters " ?

I have the same stereo since almost 25 years, I have my vinyls and cassettes collection (and my dad's) since then, I have been listening to these since years... I am not a hipster, I like music since I am a kid, and I use the same tools since then, where is the problem ?

I could argue that , for me, "hipsters " are the one listening bad , compressed and "cleaned " .mp3s from iTunes (that they don't even really own, according to Apple policy)on their $500 iPhone with sh*tty earplugs.
    I' rather listen to my records, on my stereo with my 25yo Advent speakers...

10. Georox

Georox Tele-Holic

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    If those 1300 CD's were vinyl you'd have something worth good money.

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Would you take 200 for the whole lot?

12. Sandhill69

Sandhill69 Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2016
    Colorado
    The vinyl revival has been going on continuously for what, 20 years? 30?

13. Tacotuesday

Tacotuesday Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Pacific NW, US
    Hmm, that sounds excellent... *thinking*

14. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I remember when casettes were the cats meow

LutherBurger likes this.
  15. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

May 17, 2009
    Arkansas
    I had an 8-track player in my old Chevelle SS many years ago. It was très chic. :D

uriah1 likes this.
  16. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I'm attracted to the extra cost and inconvenience of vinyl.

Bradley-Jazz, Boubou and 1955 like this.
  17. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    California
    Not at all.

Some good folks go as far as trying to recreate the good points of analog
    and some actually succeed at sounding authentic.

18. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Vinyl Revival

You just gave me a great idea for a name for a 60s and 70s Classic Rock and R&B band. :)

Nobody else steal this now OK? :twisted: :lol:

FenderGyrl likes this.
  19. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    I have tons of albums and several older turntables (I used to work in a store
    that sold stereos), but I seldom even listen to them any more.

Most of the music I listen to these days is via Amazon Prime or Youtube.

20. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I bought this LP last week for $35. MINT Shape (The LP and The Cover)

Just a FANTASTIC Record. Richie Blackmores playing is top notch on this one. Its like the Ultimate Richie Blackmore Guitar Lesson. His Rhythm Playing and Lead Playing are just so perfect and pure. You can get right to his roots, all the licks are there. Being Pre-Seventies, his Lead Guitar Playing is so not "Highway Star" Scatter Gun Style... I fell in love with this LP and had to own it. Now I am on a Blackmore Kick AGAIN. (I used to have a Reel to Reel just like he used to play thru in my Blackmore Set Up back in the day)

I love Vinyl, and Cassettes, and Analog Tube Amps. And Strats !!!
    Now Get Off Of My Lawn Dammit.

DEEP PURPLE
    Performed by:
    Ritchie Blackmore • lead guitar
    Rod Evans • vocals
    Jon Lord • organ, string/woodwind, arrangement
    Ian Paice • drums, percussion
    Nick Simper • bass guitar, backing vocals

Album recorded January to March 1969 at De Lane Lea Studios, London, UK.

R-459250-1393158077-1812.jpeg.jpg

21. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

Dang. I was looking all through my records today, the ones I mentioned earlier, for "Made in Japan", my only Deep Purple album. I know I had it. Can't find it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.