Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Vinyl Revival

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ricknbaker, Jan 11, 2017.

1. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Dec 15, 2015
    Lehigh Valley
    I love vinyl, but only have a handful of recent pressings. 99% are goodwill and antique store finds. Not much point in buying vinyl copies of modern bands, as they're mixed for freaking laptop playback.

2. I have close to 400 lps I guess, and 3 turntables that are hooked up in various rooms. The gear is all vintage, lp's are clean, none of the gear is "audiophile" quality but it all sounds great.
    The revival sucks for goodwill diving but it is nice to see re-issues. But $100 for a 45rpm mono, two lp Surrealistic Pillow reissue is not on my wish list.

mitchfinck likes this.
  3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Just for reference, for all the newbies or the "Honey ! I'm getting the turntable out of the basement, setting it up, and playing vinyl again !" crowd -

10 years ago 90% of the meat-and-potatoes rock records ranged from 25¢ to $5.

Sealed/mint, double records, super-rare ? Maybe a bit more.

With all the Ned Flanders hopping back in ? I saw a sealed Fleetwood Mac Rumours record go for $75 recently.

There are basically 10 million copies of that on vinyl out there. That's taking the 25 million or so vinyl copies sold and cutting it by more than half.

$75 :lol:

falcon5romeo likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I don't blame the artists. Probably one of the best ways to actually sell their music in the Spotify age.

My FIL, who I was really close to, died a couple years back. Huge vinyl collection that he left me, since we were both music people with similar tastes. Since then, I've bought what I can from current artists I like, mostly out of support.

BorderRadio likes this.
  6. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    The first CD players that didn't have oversampling were pretty bad sounding. But that was fixed in the early 80s. Since then, I've yet to hear a record that I thought sounded better on vinyl. At least until the late 90s, when the Volume Wars resulted in all new records sounding bad. I can't listen to a new album these days without ripping it to the computer and running it through the Relife plugin first. I doubt they can master vinyl that hot without total distortion, but I'm not going back. Besides, I usually convert everything to mp3 so it's easy to listen to in my car.

AAT65 likes this.
  7. soul-o

soul-o Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2007
    Boston
    I prefer vinyl for the sound and the listening experience- and I record to tape, so I am committed to pressing vinyl- but I end up listening to new stuff on Spotify more than on vinyl these days. If I have time to REALLY listen, I'll play the record.

8. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2010
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I'm glad I got into it almost 20 years ago and ended up buying my music mentor's collection - tons of proto-punk stuff, VU, Stones bootlegs, Dylan bootlegs, Replacements records, tons of blues, etc. I have 1500 to 2K records and maybe 100 of them are modern pressings or newer releases. There's no way that I would have what I have if I were to start today. I wouldn't be able to afford it as I have a kid and a mortgage now.

I'm glad that it's a thing, but the prices are crazy. Antique/junk stores and garage sales seem to be the only places to find deals anymore.

BorderRadio likes this.
  9. vespa1

vespa1 Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI

I understand that good gear can make all of the difference. I just have a feeling that the kids that are buying the releases from these new "all cassette" labels are not using high end audiophile stuff. Plus I have doubts about the products themselves. We get a lot of these cassette only releases at the radio station where I dj. They seem pretty cheap to me. Sorry for the cassette derail in the vinyl thread.

10. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    I'm a long-time used records, yard sale and junk store shopper here, so vinyl never really went away for
    me, I've just had to get more resourceful about where to obtain old LPs.
    I don't know if I'm that glad (or smug) to see vinyl make a comeback. I do enjoy looking at the generally imaginative cover art from an earlier time, and I'm a fool for reading credits telling me who is playing what instrument on what track. It's part of my general enjoyment of my music hobby.

11. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    About 1800. I have to play them more.

12. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2011
    Medina, Ohio
    To me.....the vinyl experience involves getting a couple of people together to listen to a side or an album. The CD/digital/download experience is usually an earbud or automobile event.

New releases were much more of a social event back in 70's. Now get off of my lawn!

4 Cat Slim likes this.
  13. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic

Jan 21, 2016
    Estados Unidos
    I still spin vinyl but its a ritualistic gesture, like Absynthe.

All of my music is ripped to FLAC using EAC and then lives on a little server I built, playback through original squeezebox's I have for three household systems.

14. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Apr 7, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I like vinyl, I had a pretty decent record collection before the resurgence, uh no record player to speak of. But I like to collect the old ones, Cash, Waylon, Marshall Tucker, zeppelin, Marty robbins,hanksr/Jr. Lots of cool records out now with cool art on them images (1).jpg R-7411586-1440954385-8594.jpeg.jpg grandpas-guitar.png

waymorewaylon likes this.
  15. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    I've bought a coupe but mostly just to have them. I also bought CD's so more of a gimic for me. I have most of my 80's era equipment including a good turntable. I used it a lot to transfer vinyl to MP3 using audacity. Occasionally I'll dig one out of my collection and play it.

16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm not a media fetishist, but I love vinyl records. I'm willing to use anything and everything nowadays. There were a few years that I didn't have a turntable, but I always had records (300? now, but maybe 1200 legacy). When I was younger I got rid of my tapes, I collected CDs, and I resented digital early on. Also a low-brow hi-fi enthusiast, so there's that. Glad the young kids are joining in, it's cute when not annoying. First time for everything, except around here;)

I do have media hierarchy though, as vinyl is harder to find and more expensive, relative to listening to my massive digital collection and Spotify. Only the used bins at Zia Records for older stuff that is ignored by younger crowds, and therefore cheaper. Only suckas pay more than, lets say 50, for reissued stuff. I paid 40 for a FACTUS 1 first issue of "Unknown Pleasures", as reward to myself for something (I forget what it was). See, I'm not a sucka! How many of us reward ourselves with a vintage instrument if possible?? I mean it's inferior stuff, really, 7.25 radius, weak pickups, banged-up paint job, etc... heh:)

Financially, I'm waiting for the fad to decline, but I hope not. I feel much better supporting an artist I enjoy with a brand new, fresh-cut 30 dollar album, as opposed to the Spotify model. Why wouldn't you support the artists who make life bearable? Are you guys cheap or something?? :lol:

17. jazzereh

jazzereh TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Ottawa, Canada
    I like LPs and still buy them and still play some I bought in the 60's - yes I remember the 60's ;) but I've got lots of cds and mp3/wav files as well. Room for everything.

I'm no audiophile but I've got a friend who is and he has converted everything he's got - 1000's of recordings - to digital and that's what he listens to in his specially built music room. I've been there - sound is incredible - but I'll never get that involved as a listener. For me, music is about getting something out of it as a musician so I listen quite differently than my friend. Besides, my ears are getting to be as old as me and don't hear as well as they used to and, to me, that's the ultimate comment about audiophiles - how good are their ears anyway?

18. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Tele-Afflicted

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    There's new stuff that's 100% analog in the signal path too. I worked at studio that had a big studer 24 track and every once in a while a band would bounce that down to a tape master then off to the pressing place.

I've got the analord series and a recent album by a popular electronic artist that fits that bill, they sound pretty incredible, mostly analog machine mixes straight to 2" tape. (aphex twin)

One cool thing is the pressing companies are usually on hefty wait & backorder as they all, iirc, rely on the old machines so there's not too many left out there.

BorderRadio likes this.
  19. archetype

archetype Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Perhaps the cassette "revival" is mainly an ironic, hipster thing. Like them because the sound is so sub-standard. And they tend to destroy themselves.

20. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Vinyl is for neophytes and posers. Wax cylinders are the real future.

Flakey likes this.
  21. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    I can't wait until the hipsters discover stone-washed jeans

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.