Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vinyl Revival

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ricknbaker, Jan 11, 2017.

1. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I hate the vinyl revival, because I've always been into vinyl. Now I have to pay lots for original common pressings of well known albums, and lots for the reissues as well.

3. johnny k

johnny k Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    when is the CD revival going to happen ?

Felino and Chicago Matt like this.

4. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm surprised the hipsters haven't got into Bakelite 78's by now....:rolleyes:

Stringbanger and Count like this.

5. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I don't like the bloated prices & some of the pompous posers...the belt on my turntable's been shot for a good 2 decades.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Chicago Matt likes this.

6. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    Do you think there'll be a hipster market for heavily reliced LPs? I've still got quite a few.

7. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

I got a receiver/amp/turntable free at a garage sale, plugged in some speakers from the tech department, and dragged all my old records to my classroom. The kids like to gawk at my rig, and (outside class time) I like to play stuff I haven't heard in a while.

I probably won't be buying any new "pressings", though.

Frank'n'censed likes this.

8. vespa1

vespa1 Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have never stopped buying and listening to records since the early 80s. I love the vinyl resurgence, though some of the prices seem absurd, I am happy to be able to replace some well worn favorites with very high quality reissues. What stumps me is the relatively recent cassette revival. I just do not get it,

9. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Was going to fish out my old deck then thought: new belt, if I can find someone who stocks that model, new stylus, readjust the arm weights, hook up all the cables, get the LPs down off the top shelf - didn't bother.

10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    No doubt the sound is better but I gave up on being a real audiophile long ago. Would I like to have a 50s era tube Marantz, sweet turntable and some high end speakers (Klipsch, Magnaplanar etc)? Sure, if I had a dedicated room or large enough living area.
    Also, I'm like a lot folks and I'm too lazy to fool around with vinyl and the meticulous care of my collection.
    I''m all digital and going further into that realm. I'm probably going to buy some Sonos wireless speakers this month.
    I do have all of my old Beatles records on vinyl and a few other but the rest I gave away over 10 years ago.

11. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Tele-Afflicted

I seem to remember all the talk of the "perfect " sound quality of the "CD" over lowly degradable vynyl back in the 1980's. I truly believe that the artists themselves promote selling vyny to increase the number of units they can sell. Years ago I'd own the vynyl at home, the cassette in the car. Now with digital transfers so popular, vynyl and its "appeal" offer a chance to regain some cash to declining sales. IMHO

troy2003 likes this.

12. texastengu

texastengu Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2016
    Austone, Tejas
    A good analogy might be a couple of my beloved bicycles. My Bianchi Mega Pro SL never fails to turn heads but I can hammer any carbon bike rider on my old chromoly Nishiki Olympic 12 because steel is real! Unless you listen to lossless flac or WAV files you'll never experience goosebumps listening to music like you will with an analog signal.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Buzzin_Cousin and GuildX700 like this.

13. Karl1962

Karl1962 NEW MEMBER!

Oct 7, 2010
    Cahors, France
    I love vinyls but the prices are absurd. I do find good reissues on Amazon, in the 10€ range.
    Being an amazon Premium member helps in that department.

texastengu likes this.

14. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    OK, so we all know that the analogue sound is warmer - does that mean we should only buy vinyl music that was recorded and mixed on tape and eschew anything that's been through a DAW?

Karl1962 likes this.

15. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    Yes ..........

Georox likes this.

16. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    This. Been spinning it nonstop since 1975.

Ex-riverman and soul-o like this.

17. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    Well I do. I have several high end cassette decks, most with Dolby S/HX PRO and I can tape a CD or a needle drop and that tape rivals the original source. The keys here are high end deck, Dolby S/HX PRO and knowing what you are doing.

Most folks have never hard the true potential of the lowly cassette.

18. johnny k

johnny k Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    France

bigdog, soulman969 and GuildX700 like this.

19. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Ms Boubou was moving stuff in our storage room and either the turntable or just the cover fell. Now the cover is cracked
    So that's that
    Pioneer PL 112 if I remember correctly

20. jay4321

jay4321 Tele-Meister

Apr 23, 2008
    NJ
    The only thing I ever liked about vinyl was how much you could appreciate the cover art. Other than that I dislike everything else about them and don't understand the allure at all. They take up space, they're not portable, and over the years I found that if the album sounded good on vinyl, it would still sound good in other formats. I've never been considered a purist with anything music-wise and vinyl is a good reason why. Having digital files for music has been one of the best things ever & I spend far more time listening to music today than I ever did because of it.

But hey, if someone likes the charm and wants to spend the money, fine. But I had my vinyl years early on (and in the era of cassettes and CDs) and I'm not going back.

Which reminds me, my wife and I have a rack in the basement with some 1,300 CDs on it we have to get rid of.

Bob M, Boubou and AAT65 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.