Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vintique: Excitement, Anger and Astonishment!! The FIVE YEAR Telecaster...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by MandyMarie, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore

Let me know when you get here. I'll go up with you guys...:D

2. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore
    Someone should tell Bruce what this guy's doing to people.

3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    I’m mot defending anybody. I’m just saying weird stuff happens all the time.

I’ve had guys order a guitar, put down a sizeable deposit, then disappear for years, YEARS that is, ignoring every conceivable attempt to contact them. Then they surface, demand their guitar and flame me in all the forums for being so damn slow. (That’s just the “sound bite” on that story too.)

I have one guitar sitting in the corner that was paid for in full in 1999, it has been completed for almost 8 years now, and I cannot find the guy, and I still have the original contact info. I wonder how many and to whom he has made the statement that I am a crook for taking his money and not delivering the goods, when all he ever had to do is return one of my many attempts at contacting him. I’m just wondering how long I should wait before I move it out.

Weird stuff happens all the time. I would love for any of the resident mind readers to share both sides of the story.

Perhaps Jay has fallen off the deep end, if so, that’s a sad loss. What I do know is, from my past experience with him, something’s not right, and that’s weird.

Ron Kirn

4. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore
    Read the whole thread. Everything's out in the open.

5. E.D. Patton

E.D. Patton Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2006
    Portland, OR
    That strains credibility, Ron.

Sounds like the "Farmer's Tele under the bed".

I'd like to see the poll results for those of us who have paid mega-bucks for an instrument and just not bothered to take possesion.

I agree with you on one point you made-weird stuff happens; people send large amounts of cash to vendors with whom they have no prior relationship.

6. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Staff Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Admin Post
    Hey, stuff like that DOES happen!

About 20 years ago my sister-in-law was bartending and had a guy came in with this old guitar case and say "your husband is a guitar player, right?" He hands her the case and tells her to have Mike check it out and see if it's any good. It turned out to be a blonde 1972 Telecaster with a dead bridge pickup.

And the guy never came back to pick it up.

Mike held on to it for a year, then replaced the broken pickup (we didn't know you could have them rewound!) and sold it to me. I played it for three years and during a cash crunch sold it too...

Never ever heard back from the guy...

Cheers, Tim

7. furrfurrfurr

furrfurrfurr Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2006
    South of Heaven

How many of us have an old 401k or other financial account that's not been moved etc etc. Just sitting there, not earning its full potential. I know I do. My only point being it's easy to do stupid things that make no financial sense.

That said, I'm 100% on the anti-vintique side. I'm in NO WAY defending or supporting them. (Although I do believe they'll deliver Danny's guitar and it will be sweet.)

Johnny, you're killing me as always. Please keep it coming.:lol: :lol:
    And you're also dead-on by the way.

Furr

8. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 12, 2005
    Fullerton, CA

The poor guy probably died.

Still very different. Contact info on both sides and money trading hands... attempts for 5 years...

9. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore
    The guitar might've been stolen. :D

10. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 12, 2005
    Fullerton, CA
    Sorry, I can't.

Paul feels my comments are personal "attacks" and would like me to curtail them. I am sorry if I angered you Paul.

My only fear here is that boutique builders actually think this way. I am obviously not alone in being amazed by their logic.

E.D. Patton has said it best "That strains credibility, Ron.

Still, if I have offended you Mr. Kirn, I do apologize. Please try to understand the flipside of this coin. I doubt you curse at customers and give them the runaround for 5 years like Jay does. Again, I am sorry.

If I have pissed you off Paul, I likewise apologize. Hopefully you can understand my thoughts on all of the comments put forth, and see that I am not being a total bastard...

11. sidneystreet

sidneystreet Tele-Afflicted

Jul 7, 2005
    I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on the flaky-customer stories, as implausible as they may seem to some of us.

However, keep in mind that even the hint of support for Jay Monterose's side in the present matter could be damaging to your own credibility. That would be a shame.

12. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Staff Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Admin Post
    I'm not in any way, shape or form defending Jay. Just pointing out that Ron's story DOES make sense to me. Actually, now that you mention it, Ron's customer might have died...

Anyway, here's hoping that Danny gets his guitar soon so this thread can die!!!

Cheers, Tim

13. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Oh Please Lordy, Lordy let it happen....

It’s rather difficult to say much of anything that does not follow the genre of this or any other thread without getting stepped on, so just let me say. . .

I’m a world class “Old Fart”. Look it up and you will see my picture next to the definition… One of the advantages of being this old, aside from having not died, is some of the “unintended” stuff ya learn as you waddle through life….

One of the “things”, and I don’t recall when I learned it, is, there are always 2 sides to every story, thus I tend to use basic rules of law when listening to someone’s share his side. I cannot help but think, Hummm what is NOT being said…. What is the other side?

It IS discouraging that the other side has elected not to join the party, but looking back through the thread, why would he wanna? It’s one thing to engage in a heated discussion about differing opinions, and keep it on an intellectually stimulating level. But, were it me, I wouldn’t walk into a “fire fight” either.

I have had some of the “contributors” to the TDPRI flame me, or just say plain stupid cack about me. I read it and think, F*** ‘em, I’m not even going to give them the pleasure of my comment.

Consider, someone suggested that Jay doesn’t do Springsteen’s guitar….. Ummm I wonder if the thought came to mind…. ‘Ol Bruce might just have 2. Or like a pro golfer changing caddies, perhaps he’s moved on to someone else. In either case, that does not invalidate my previous comment.

Now, about Jay… it’s been years since I chatted with ‘im…. so maybe he fell on his head….maybe a giant bug bit his ass….perhaps Space Aliens have possessed his body…. Whatever…. And, what seems to have happened relative to a 5 year guitar is not cool… not in my world…. I go bonkers when I fall behind a few days…. Years!! CACK…. I’d be suicidal…. But no body knows just what the heck is goin’ on in Jays world. I cannot comprehend an explanation not being submitted, but he owes all of us nothing… we all have the choice of simply not buying his stuff. That’s a pretty loud statement he would receive.

Remember when we all thought Joe Barden was a POS because he stopped replying to queries? Joe really got screwed and it took a while to put it behind him, but Joe’s back.

Like I said weird stuff happens…. Rarely is it good. If you don’t believe me, try sellin’ stuff to the public… weird man. Really weird.

Ron Kirn

14. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore
    I've read complaints about him in this and other guitar forums for the past few years. No reason not to believe them. What defense would he have?

15. E.D. Patton

E.D. Patton Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2006
    Portland, OR
    +1

16. Rick S

Rick S Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2003
    Tulsa, OK
    Strange things do happen, people make mistakes, and it is easy for an individual craftsman to get behind on his work, but none of this is relevant in this case. All parties have been aware the entire time, nobody deceased, incarcerated, disabled, etc.

I've messed up orders before and I've been behind and not made shipping dates. It's easy to do, but it's also easy to keep a customer happy by simply letting them know the strait scoop before things get out of hand.

All anyone really wants is to know truthfully when they can expect delivery. I have a friend that has a business related to auto restoration. His schedule is typically at least two years. He requires a non-refundable deposit up front. He also always delivers on time. Customers always know what to expect, everyone is happy.

The Internet has opened up a lot of sources, but along with that it has become more difficult to determine who you can trust. I have seen vendors praised online that if you were to meet them and shake their hand, I would advise cupping your other hand over the change in your pocket for fear of losing it.

One vendor that comes to mind has been often endorsed online, but blatantly lied to me regarding shipping dates. Finally, on an item promised in "4 to 6 weeks", then "should be just another few weeks", and didn't have it ready for two years. Didn't hold any of my money, but prevented me from seeking another vendor for quite a while.

The FTC rules on mail order are quite simple. Basically, if you take a customer's money, you have 30 days to ship unless a later shipping date is agreed upon by the customer at time of purchase. If you can't ship, it's negotiate extension or refund. Plain and simple.

The Vintique story is unfortunately not unique. There have been others, and yes, some have served time for it. Blues Pearl amplifiers is one that a Google should come up with an almost exact same story that put the guy behind bars.

It's really a sad deal and I agree with the others that have said it, Danny is a saint. When the pics were posted two weeks ago of his parts with wet lacquer on them, I was thinking, no way this thing is going to ship on time.

17. markophonic

markophonic Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Michigan
    What is with all of the "maybe something bad has happened with Jay" talk???? Maybe something has, I doubt it though. He seems together enough to attend NAMM shows and put full page ads in Vintage Guitar magazine. He has Danny's parts and money...what the hell is the holdup??

REMOVED BY WEBMASTER

:mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2007

18. RockinCarl

RockinCarl Tele-Afflicted

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    :lol: :lol: That made my day!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2007

19. Willie D

Willie D Friend of Leo's

Nov 19, 2004
    So. Illinois
    As a side note....

Ron, if you need the storage space I could hold on to that guitar until you find the customer. I'll pay the shipping!:D :D

20. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    I'm still astonished that Vintique uses Warmoth bodies. Was that a joke? Does he at least make the necks? Or can I start a business buying parts, bolting them together, adding a 100% markup, and taking folks' $$$$$$?

That just blows my mind. Please tell me that's a joke.

Admiral Akbar likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.