Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vintique: Excitement, Anger and Astonishment!! The FIVE YEAR Telecaster...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by MandyMarie, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MandyMarie

MandyMarie Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Hi guys (and gals) My name is Danny Thompson, I use to post quite regularly on the *original* TDP with a lot of the old timers on here (Hi Fuzzy!) I’m posting under Mandy’s name because I can’t for the life of me remember my password… but the Screen name was Fatocaster! Many of you that know me and my wife Mandy (who I actually met on the original TDP) also know our story, or should I say nightmare, that began on June 7th, 2001 when I decided I wanted to get a custom built Telecaster from Vintique by Jay Monterose. Mandy & I both play music for a living and $1,800 is a LOT OF MONEY to us. We're always hand to mouth, there's good months and there's bad months, and getting this guitar was a huge deal to us financially.

A short recap:
    Initial order placed June 7th, 2001 with delivery of guitar by March 3rd 2002 for a Butterscotch finish with Joe Barden Pickups.
    1 piece Tele body purchased 6/7/01 - Neck ordered and paid for 6/13/01 -
    30% down payment sent 6/13/01 - 30% additional Payment sent 1/29/02 -
    Guitar Case (thermometer) shipped by request to Jay 1/29/02.
    On July 9th, 2002 Jay called and said the Tele would be ready “in about a month” that he was “waiting on a bridge”. In the mean time I had aquired a 1994 Gatton Sig Tele and also bought my wife a 1951 Telecaster… I no longer needed or even wanted the Vintique Tele.
    In April of 2003 I sent a letter to Jay requesting the Tele or a refund. Other people were bad mouthing Jay and I was still standing up for him… It wasn’t easy, but I was. But by Sep. 29th 2004 with $1800.00 spent and nothing to show for it and after no contact what so ever in over a year, I had finally lost all faith in Jay Monterose and pretty much had written it all off to an expensive lesson learned.
    Then around July of 2005 I found a contact number for Jay, and thought what the heck… I called it and he ANSWERED! Apparently expecting a call and not realizing it was me.
    I confronted him about my guitar/money and he said he remembered me and still had my Body and Thermometer case!...yeah, right. I begged him to send me my case at least and he said “I’m going to finish it for you as soon as things get settled.” Well, I had heard that before and INSISTED that he send me a refund or at least have the decency to return my guitar case. I will admit, I was less than friendly and his reply to me was that “if I fu#@ed with him, nobody would get nothing!” On that note I hung up the phone with the thought (or hope) that someday, Jay Monterose would get what he deserves. If not from me, then by someone else that he has done this to.

That brings us to Oct. 20th 2006. A full 5 years, 4 months, 1 week and 6 days since my initial encounter with Vintique and… there’s an e-mail for Mandy titled: Vintique
    The content says it’s ” Jay” looking to buy some bulk parts… needless to say I was FURIOUS! He obviously didn’t realize that Mandy was MY Mandy. So I sent back a very, very, nasty response assuming I’d hear nothing back. Which I didn’t.
    Then on Nov. 18th, still having the “new” e-mail address for Jay/Vintique I sent a much simpler e-mail saying “if you want to make things right, you know how to get ahold of me” and included my phone number. This time… I got a reply, but not from Jay. It was from Jay’s new business partner Chihoe Hahn. He said that he had talked to Jay about me and Jay still had my Thermometer case and the one piece ash body I originally purchased and he could send pics of them if I’d like. He also said the Jay was fully aware of our past situation and was willing to complete my guitar!
    My first reaction was absolutely NOT! I wanted my case back and I wanted my money back ASAP! But Chihoe was very persuasive and sent me his personal phone number and invited me to call and discuss the situation with him. He also included several photos of my Guitar Case and the ash body… I was absolutely amazed to say the least. The body is actually THE same body that they had sent me photos of in 2001. My name is even still written in the pickup cavity! My thermometer case still looked brand new and had my address tag tied to the handle!! So I called Mr. Chihoe Hahn

Chihoe was very professional and friendly and was also very understanding of my concerns. After a few minutes of explaining myself he offered me a solution. Jay would finish my Tele within 3 months time. They would gladly disregard the balance that I owed from the original purchase price and if I was not satisfied with the guitar, they would give me a complete refund. Again, I was somewhat speechless. After a few moments of processing all this new information I gave him my terms. Have the Tele in my hands by March 3rd 2007 (my birthday) and if it’s not here, then just send me a refund of my $1800.00. He agreed and said that if I wasn’t 100% satisfied with the guitar he would gladly purchase it back from me for a complete full refund. But the other thing he wanted me to do, was talk about it. Regardless if I kept the guitar or not. He wants people to know that Jay and Vintique are back in business and it’s a company that people can trust and a product that is unbeatable. He also invited me to keep in touch over the next few months and he would send me pics of the Tele as it was being completed!

So here is the first installment of my story including the first photos.

The one thing I have said all along about my experience with Jay wasn’t so much that he didn’t complete my guitar, but that he didn’t just tell me “Hey, I have some problems and I may not be able to finish your guitar and I don’t have the resources to give you a refund, but someday I’ll make it right.” That’s all I wanted… well that and my Tele and or refund! So here’s to the NEW and IMPROVED Vintique. Welcome back Jay, and welcome aboard Chihoe Hahn! I'd like to add that Chihoe has been very professional and quick to respond to my e-mails...if this is an indication of how the new Vintique will operate, I'll be very happy.

Look for future updates as I get them!

Danny Thompson Fatocaster@aol.com

Here's two of the first photos I recieved :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MandyMarie

Mar 17, 2003
    Austin, TX
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's the most recent photos - bodies waiting to be painted, mine is that first one :
    [​IMG]

Necks waiting to be sprayed, mine is second from last :

[​IMG]

3. MandyMarie

Mar 17, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Closer of my specific neck :
    [​IMG]

This is my specific situation with Vintique...I'm as shocked as anybody that this is being resolved in the manner it's being resolved. But I have nothing to lose and they're guaranteeing this Tele. I kept very good records of my dealing with Vintique and my communication with Jay over the past five years. I thought my body and case were loooooooooooong gone. The fact that they're still there says something to me and I'm dying to get this guitar. Stay tuned for more updates!

4. woodman

woodman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free + Supporter

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    will wonders never cease!

5. BluesOwl

BluesOwl Tele-Holic

Feb 15, 2005
    MI
    Knobs

I'm still owed knobs and have buddy who is owed stuff (3+ years)
    I'll report to my buddy but I'm writing my stuff off and chaulking it up to experience.
    Even if he gets better about the business, I don't think he can ever match Callaham or Glendale now. I love my Tele which has assorted vintique hardware, but it was too painful to procure and i could duplicate it with the C or G stuff.
    But I think all of us are glad to hear about your experience. getting the (hopefully old) vintique treatment on such a large purchase would make me blow a nut and go off on vendetta trip to his locale.

6. stevedenver

stevedenver Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2003
    the mile high city
    have to say danny
    id still be furious

a real pro , mr scott lentz, spoke to me about my order for a broadcaster type t in about late july 2002-sent neck for inspection about sept 2003 and had delivered my t jan 2003-told me to expect a wait of about six months and it ended up about 7-the product was one of the few things in life that i am sure i got more than i paid for-im sorry you didnt have the same experience with Vintique

and the price was about the same

a man only has his reputation

what upsets me in reading your post was not that someone had encountered problems -stuff happens

it was how he treated you and responded-theres nothing wrong with -the moneys gone-i screwed up -ill make it up to you-im sorry-nothing like the truth and a little humility to maintain one's credibility even after a bad situation

"dont *&^ with me":rolleyes: famous last words....

-well i hope you do get your guitar-

my 2 cent prediction is a leopard doesnt change his spots-character issues dont go away-he may currently have guidance and some conscience in the form of his current manager-but you cant change a person

ive learned that when you deal with someone who screws others, its not long before its your turn-i imagine this could well happen with the manager - its hard to be a straight shooter if you work with folks of dissimilar values

7. telex

telex Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    You are a very, very, patient man. You are giving free advertising to this outfit?

I really hope you get your birthday present. That is a beautiful body, and case for sure. To put up with all that you have been through, and not recieve any discount suprises me. Looking at all of those bodies hanging there makes me wonder about all of the others waiting for their dream guitars. Sad.

I wonder if Jay has found that bridge yet? I'm sure there are many that hope that he finds a really high bridge someday.;)

8. Steve McGinnis

Steve McGinnis Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Worth, Texas
    So you still have nothing?

Why are your advertising for them? I read your whole post expecting you to have guitar in hand, but you got nothing but more promises.

Good Luck, I hope it turns out

9. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Admin Post
    Danny, that's an amazing story! I'm sure hoping it ends on a positive note right quick!

Cheers, Tim

10. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2003
    DC 'Burbs
    I'll refrain from the obvious comments and say instead that that is indeed a really beautiful Ash body you've got coming to you, and I hope they make it right with everyone like they are apparently trying to do with you.

For what it's worth so far, it's great news and I'm happy for you two.

If they're serious, they've got quite a hill to climb, but more power to them if they're seriously going to do it.

I wonder why can't they join here and just openly announce themselves and their intentions tho, instead of you being a voice for them.

11. Fatocaster

Fatocaster Banned

Apr 18, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Yay, I'm back!

I realize this could be precieved as "advertising" for them...but more than anything, I just want people to know what I've been through. A lot of you guys already do know and have been curious - I get the occassional email, "hey...ever get that Tele from Vintique?" and it's been an ongoing joke for, oh, what five years? Ha!

I guess part of the reason I wanted to post about it was so any of you that may be in the same situation I was/am in knew to try and get ahold of them. Don't give up. I HAD given up and if it wouldn't have been for the chance e-mail that Mandy recieved, I may have never contacted Vintique again.

I'm not promoting their product...yet. And I mean that. It's been a NIGHTMARE. What I'm saying is, here's my story..here's what "I" have been through and am now going through. If someone chooses to deal with Vintique, that's their business, I'm just telling my story.

I still don't have my guitar and until I do I'm still going to be leary. But what I've got from them so far is one heck of a lot more than I've got from them in the past five years. Vintique is going to have to prove themselves not just to me but to everyone who's owed something by them or been burned by them. I'm still one of those people.

I may get this guitar and love it more than any guitar ever...but it doesn't mean I'm going to place another order with Vintique. If it's a good guitar I'll say it's a good guitar. If it's a pile of junk, I'll say that too. This is definitely an on going story.

And telex...you said I was patient...I'm the complete opposite. If I lived closer to New Jersey, Jay would probably be a dead man by now and no one would be gettin' crap from Vintique. Ha! I'm NOT patient. I haven't even spoken with Jay as of yet and to be honest I don't know if I could...but the person I am dealing with, Chihoe, has been understanding, sympathetic, and has not once not followed through with something he's promised he was going to do (send photos, stay in touch, etc).

I'm just tellin' my story - I've never owned a Vintique Tele...when I do, if I do, I'll let you know what I think. But you can't look at that body and tell me it's unappealing. It may not be five years worth of appealing ha but it's appealing and certainly better than what had expected! Which was nothing but skyrocketing blood pressure when I heard the name Jay Monterose! Like I said...stay tuned.

A post thought....if you guys were in my situation, don't you think you'd take the chance on getting the guitar rather than just telling them to shove it?

12. Fatocaster

Fatocaster Banned

Apr 18, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Hey Drak, it was my choice to be the voice for them and I told Chihoe that it would probably be a very mixed reaction. He understood this and said for better or worse he just wants people to know that that they did us wrong and they're trying to do us right. I don't know about them ever joining the TDPRI, that's their business, but they are advertising in VG again. There's a full page ad in this months issue (just got ours in the mail today) and it's no secret that they're in business again.

13. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    good luck! hope you get it and hope you're thrilled.

14. Tom S

Tom S Friend of Leo's

Aug 3, 2005
    I would have taken my very good records to small claims court a long, long, time ago.

Why anyone would ever consider doing even the smallest bit of business with these folks is way beyond my comprehension. Is there some sort of severe shortage of competent, trustworthy guitar builders that I haven't heard about?

15. 0le FUZZY

0le FUZZY Former Member

16. Little Nip

Little Nip Tele-Meister

Jun 3, 2006
    VT
    Danny,
    I too, hope you get your tele from Jay. I consider myself one of the fortunate few. I sent Jay money for parts after several extensive and thorouhgly enjoyable phone conversations. Then....nothing. He couldn't be reached. This must sound familiar to many. I had occasion to be in NJ not far from Jay's neck of the woods and somehow, at the last minute, managed to reach him. He invited me and my son to his shop, we met Linda his friend and former business partner and got my stuff. He proudly showed me lots of other things (he did some welding for me too) I expect I saw your body among many others and probably your neck too. Perhaps Jay will turn over a new leaf, (he certainly has a long uphill climb) I hope so for you and the legions of others who are still waiting on parts and guitars long ago paid for.

17. Fatocaster

Fatocaster Banned

Apr 18, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Just realize that I'm not "defending" Vintiqe... There are a LOT of great guitar builders out there... but I paid for this one :eek:) Part of the reason I wanted Jay was because I'm such a Gatton fan, that's why it hurt so much to get skanked up by him.

Tom S. - I actually did file a complaint with the New Jersey BBB, but at the time Jay was not oficially in business, no one could find him and there was nothing that could be done.

No matter how this turns out, I was royally screwed by Jay. I'm just hoping to get what I wanted in the first palce. The best they can do is make things right, That's all I want, Nothing more... well maybe an apology from Jay would be nice, but I'll take what I can get.

I appreciate all the input and opinions. - Danny

18. zane

zane Tele-Afflicted

Jan 1, 2004
    Panther City,Tx
    Just remember the old saying about "counting your chickens"
    I was ripped off by that %*&<> , & have been cussed out by him too!
    My wish is that someday he'll come to one of the guitar shows in Texas, so I can show him some southern "hospitality"

19. Tom S

Tom S Friend of Leo's

Aug 3, 2005
    Danny, the BBB is useless in a case like this as far as getting retribution is concerned, they don't do that. (They really don't do anything.) That's what courts of law are for, and in your case, they were certainly warranted. I really don't see how things could ever be "put right" in this case, unless you received all your money and the guitar for your troubles. After all, you didn't even want or need the guitar any longer after more than a year had gone by (you had already gone to the expense of acquiring others.). I imagine that you have no pressing need for it now, five years later, either. You may even have far more important uses for the cash.

I really do sympathize with your plight. You have been royally screwed, and now they have the outright gall to intimate that you might agree to do some public relations for them. (Yet you STILL dont even have the guitar!!!!) It's mind-boggling!

Well, you are astronomically more willing to put up with bullsh*t than I am. I sure hope that at least you're happy at the conclusion of this mess, whatever and whenever that might be. You certainly deserve some kind of satisfaction.

20. Rick S

Rick S Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2003
    Tulsa, OK
    Wow, quite a story. I remember all the uproar from years back, and now someone new willing to partner up and even keep the same name. I can't imagine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.