Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vintage tuners: do they ever fit?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Sollipsist, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Meister

Aug 25, 2016
    Just installed another set of Kluson-style tuners. As with my last project, they failed to line up perfectly with the holes that Warmoth drilled. After swapping the positions of the middle four a few times, I found the closest fit - but stillI ended up grinding a bit off the side of the last tuner to get them to sit right (I.e., so they all lay flat and the posts were not at too much of an angle).

Is this just par for the course with vintage style tuners, or have I made the same foolish mistake twice now?

2. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    I didn't have any issue with these gotohs. IMG_5895.JPG

nojazzhere and BorderRadio like this.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Never had a problem......and fwiw new tuning machines are not 'vintage'.....maybe 'vintage-style'...not vintage.
    What brand of imitations are you buying...or if you don't want to name a brand, how much are you paying for those tuners?

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Never had a problem with Gotohs and Pings.

nojazzhere likes this.

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Apologies.....I got two threads confused.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I didn't have ANY issues with tuner-fit on the neck I ordered from Warmoth.....only thing is I wish I had ordered Gotoh's rather than Wilkinson's Kluson-style. They're good...just not Gotoh-good.

7. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    I took off a set of perfectly fitting Wilkingson vintage type on a genuine Fender neck and replaced them with a set of Gotoh Fender locking tuners that also fiited perfectly .Sounds like Warmoth havnt drilled the holes perfectly to me .

8. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Meister

Aug 25, 2016
    It doesn't sound like anybody's had problems with the Wilkinson + Warmoth combo... So I'm guessing either 1) the problem is me or 2) I just had bad luck twice.

I'm not a master craftsman by any stretch, but I don't see how I could mess up a simple tuner install. Is it possible that the bushings are at such an angle that it's throwing off the spacing?

9. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    It sounds to me like your neck is drilled for a different tuner spacing. Several different manufacturers now make the vintage "Kluson-style" tuning key set, and for that reason you have to be careful about making sure the tuning machine spacing and the headstock hole spacing match up.

10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    The actual Kluson brand seems to fit pretty well. I haven't had such good luck with the Gotoh trapezoid F tuners.

11. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I pulled the trapezoidal tuners out of my Strat and installed Wilkinson vintage style tuners. The spacing was perfect. All I had to do was source out the correct drill bit to enlarge the holes for the slightly larger bushings. Everything lined up as it should have.

12. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    I've never had a problem with Warmoth tuner fits. I think I've had 5 of them. All but one was drilled for klusons.

Now I want to look at all my guitars and see if any of my tuners don't line up right. :confused:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.