Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vintage Telecasters in R&B

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Zac, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    Lately, I have been listening to a ton of Atlantic R&B. I was always a Stax fan, but never knew about American Studios in Memphis(Reggie Young) or Fame, down in Muscle Shoals. Here is a cool shot of Wilson Pickett with a 67-68 maple cap Tele. Most likely Bobby Womack's guitar.

[​IMG]
    image0136 by FAME Music, on Flickr

2. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN

3. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    During that time in Memphis some incredible American music was produced that still inspires my as a player. In fact Bobby Womack during '65 - '75 is one of my all time favorite guitarists (disregarding his talents as a singer and song writer). I always wondered what Bobby's main electric guitar was in those days. A lot of the old recordings sound to me like he's is using some kind of hollow body but maybe it is a Tele after all!

4. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    I have become a huge Womack fan myself after hearing Reggie Young praise him in a video interview I have. And yes, it seems Bobby was a Tele player during this time.

In the book "Memphis Boys: The Story of American Studios" There is the following quote about Womack.

“He's the reason I began to play a Telecaster,” said Jimmy Johnson(Swampers) "He had rented one at Manny's in NY and said, Y'know, this is what you need to play"

There are also photos of him during the 67-68 Aretha sessions playing one, and a number of shots of him at FAME in Muscle Shoals playing one with Wilson Pickett like this one.

[​IMG]
    pickettwomackhall by Captain Zippy, on Flickr

5. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN

6. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    And here is a shot taken at American Studios in Memphis. It is of the "Memphis Underground" sessions for Herbie Mann. Besides some shots of Reggie with a black guard in the 50's, this is the only shot I have ever seen of Reggie playing a Tele in the 60's. From an old Vintage Guitar interview, he said he used a blonde, 67 Tele until 69 or 70 when he got the black 1969 Tele Custom he still plays to this day.

[​IMG]
    reggie by Captain Zippy, on Flickr

7. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Great pics, Zac!

Here's a pic of Steve Cropper and Eddie Floyd on identical 1963 Teles. Steve bought two so he could have one tuned in open E for Otis redding to play.;)

[​IMG]

8. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

Jun 18, 2009
    Hogtown,KY.
    A wonderful photo. :)

9. samato

samato Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2008
    Orlando, FL, USA
    I don't know this guy's name but I should find out and send him a check because I feel like every time I listen to a K.C. & The Sunshine Band song I'm getting a lesson in how the guitar should be played as part of a rhythm section.

Make sure you check out the section that starts around 2:20

10. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.