Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Vintage Tele Neck Number?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by coolharmony, Jul 9, 2017.

1. coolharmony

coolharmony TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2006
    New York
    All experts,

Please let me know what the numbers of my vintage Fender Tele mean and what do the markings mean inside the neck pocket? I got this tele years ago from a friend who thought it was from 1968.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017

2. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 18, 2003
    UK
    The serial number dates to 1968. Made at the Fullerton plant.

3. coolharmony

coolharmony TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2006
    New York
    Very much appreciate your help with this. Would you let me know how it dates to that year and the Fullerton plant?

Thank you.

4. bluenote23

bluenote23 Tele-Meister

You can use any number of Fender serial number references (on the web or in paper form) that will give the corresponding date to the serial number on the neckplate. So your neckplate dates from around 1968.

The stamped numbers on the butt end of your neck are unfamiliar to me and are not any vintage Fender format that I know about.

Do you have a photo of the peghead and logo? It's not a maple cap so it is not from 1968.

The pickguard is not from 1968 so the electrics may have been changed.

Do you have a photo of the body without the pickguard, or with the pickguard moved so we can see the pickup routs?

Can you see paint post holes in the back of the body?

These things will help you to discover when your guitar was made.

5. coolharmony

coolharmony TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2006
    New York
    The stamped numbers are original Fender numbers from the CBS era.

Will check the things the mentioned.

Thank you.

6. bluenote23

bluenote23 Tele-Meister

From my knowledge, if it was a later neck stamp, it should start with 13, the CBS model number for a Telecaster.

7. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    The green stamped numbers look like the 1970's number code I have seen. Not sure about the exact details of the number format, but the stamping looks normal and like plenty of other Fenders from the time. I think that style started in 1969, so not far off the 1968 estimate his friend had.

Looking at Duchossoir's "Guitar Identification" that code should probably start with a 3 and end with a B and be 7 to 9 digits long.

This site, that is usually a very good source, says that numbering style can go back as far as 1967. http://www.guitarhq.com/fender.html#serial

8. coolharmony

coolharmony TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2006
    New York

9. Hags

Hags TDPRI Member

May 7, 2016
    Northwest CT
    I'm not an expert but the 3 on the neck stamp should mean tele,the B is nut width(1 5/8th) the rest I'm not sure of, the 0 makes me think 1970.
    Pots,pickups ect... Would tell you more

10. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 18, 2003
    UK
    I put the serial number into this guitar dater, and that is what came up.

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx

11. coolharmony

coolharmony TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2006
    New York

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.