Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

vintage style bridge and mods on a squire tele.. AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by manuelschicchi, Sep 16, 2018.

1. manuelschicchi

manuelschicchi TDPRI Member

Sep 16, 2018
    Toscana
    Hi everybody!
    I am new on the forum and i guess there must be hundreds of threads like this... sorry for posting another one, but i need some help::)

I own a made in china squire tele serial CY 04 (which i gess dates to 2004) and i want to replace the bridge to a vintage 3 saddles one, also i need to replace the tuners since the stock ones are gone, so i'd like to put on some vintage style ones.

So, being NOT an expert, i went online one day and bought these 2 replacements:
    Vintage style bridge from "All Parts" with 3 brass Gotoh saddles (see picture). The one with low profile which would match a bigsby bridge (i might be interest on putting one on in the future).
    Kluson vintage style tuners (see picture)

But, being NOT an expert i didn't know that those parts would not fit straight in on the guitar!..
    Now i see i have to drill new holes all around to fit those!:cry:
    The bridge has 4 big screws ( instead of 3) and doesn't have the top 2 little screws on the corners of the plate.. not to mention the fact that this is a string through bridge and my guitar doesn't have the holes through the body.
    Also it looks like i need to enlarge the holes to fit the tuners..

So my questions are:
    Does it make sense to try to fit those parts on the guitar ?(of course a luthier would do it for me).. or should i just sell them back and go for some easier matching parts? (like top loading bridge and matching tuners)
    If it makes sense, is there any more issues i should be aware of on putting these parts on and drilling holes all around?
    Does drilling the holes through the body for the strings creates any tuning or sound issue?

Lots of questions and dubts i have here!:)

I sencerely hope some of you guys will help me out and if so, you will have another happy Squier Tele owner (the guitar itself sounds great fot the price!!).
    Any help/ advice is kindly welcome!

I see Yegbert is a great expert on this topic.. if he could give me some advices it would be GREAT!

Thankds a lot Everybody!

kluson tuners 2.jpg tele bridge.jpg

Attached Files:

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    Some pictures of the guitar would help. That would give us a better idea of what exactly you're working with.

Base on what you've said, these parts can be fit onto the guitar but it's not a particularly easy thing to do if you don't have the experience and proper tools.

3. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    A CY04 can only be an Affinity Telecaster (unless I lack some documentation)

I would keep the original bridge and find new - better - saddles. You could go for 6 replacements or for the Bubba mod, since you were planning a three saddle bridge anyway. I would NOT drill the strings through the body, as I have never seen one attempt with an acceptable result visually.

Replace the tuners (if you already bought the Klusons they will be better than the stock tuners, but I haven't had any problems with the Squier stock tuners either) and since you're opting for a luthier, attack the electronics too. You could consider better pickups, but that's a matter of taste. I changed them on an Affinity for pickups at the midrange price level, and reverted back to the orginals on a 2009 Affinity, but kept new ones on a 2013, because that one had pickups that just didn't fit me.

The most important stuff is the setup... communicate with your luthier, explain what you expect from a setup, because we all have different preferences, and it's the setup that will make it either a player or a closet guitar.

nojazzhere and manuelschicchi like this.

4. manuelschicchi

Sep 16, 2018
    Toscana
    Thanks!
    I will post some pics asap

5. manuelschicchi

Sep 16, 2018
    Toscana

Thanks for the advices!.. i will post some pics so that you will see the bridge and the tuners ( wait and see them!.. it's a wonder this guitar actually plays!!).

I am wating for the hardware upgrade to consider a pick up upgrade to.. for now the guitar sounds pretty good to me.. maybe the hi E strings sounds a little less loud than the others.. but i am not sure since the guitar is a mess right now..

i actually got the guitar for free from a friend who thought it was hopeless.. but i think no guitar is hopeless if it actually sounds decent.. :)

6. manuelschicchi

Sep 16, 2018
    Toscana
    Here's some pics of the guitar. It actually is an affinity model.
    The pickguard was white and broken.. i changed it to a new black one.

7. manuelschicchi

Sep 16, 2018
    Toscana
    tele 1.jpg tele 2.jpg tele 3.jpg

Attached Files:

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    Yep, that's an older Affinity Tele with a top load bridge. Here's what I'd recommend...

1. Unless you have a good drill press and use an accurate template, drilling out for a string thru bridge is going to be tricky. I've seen people attempt this and few are successful. The most unsuccessful ones were attempted with a hand drill and not using a template. So, I'd recommend keeping your current bridge unless it's damaged. There are some improved top loaders out there but I don't see that as a priority.

2. The tuners. In general, modern sealed tuners work rather well as long as the nut is cut right and the guitar is strung correctly. However, it looks like someone made an attempt at replacing them on this guitar and didn't do the job quite right and didn't finish it. You probably want to replace these with a decent matching set. While the Kluson's are great, you would need to ream out the holes to get them to fit. You can get good replacement tuners of the correct size direct from China for about $12 to $15 a set. That's what I'd go with if the stock tuners were a mess like you seem to have here.

3. The nut. For the guitar to play right, stay in tune and intonate right, the nut has to be right. If you aren't comfortable doing this yourself and don't have the files for it, you may want to have a local guitar tech do that for you.

4. Check the neck relief and adjust if needed. There are some good videos on YouTube that can tell you how to do this.

5. The frets. Once the nut, bridge and neck relief is right and the action is where you want it, that will help you determine if any frets are too high. This is another finesse thing that you might want to learn using this guitar or have someone who's experienced take a look. You may also have some fret sprout on the side, causing roughness. This too can be filed down for a more comfortable feel.

6. The electronics. This isn't necessarily a right away thing, especially if the guitar sounds good to you as-is. However, swapping in better pots, caps, switch and jack can make a big difference even with the stock pickups. You can also get decent replacement pickups for not a lot of money if you want to do that at some point.

manuelschicchi and nicod98 like this.

9. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    OK, some tuners were replaced, without using the screws... o_O

In that case I would have gotten similar tuners, with the screw to replace all of them. I'm not sure but somehow I think the (vintage) Klusons are a different diameter.

If you got it for free, and it looks like that, you'd better check the neck first... I suspect it was not really handled with care. And it might have been kept under less than ideal situations. Especially big changes in humidity can mean disaster for a neck. Is it warped? Are all the frets still seated properly (had one where constant humidity changes caused almost all frets to be unstable).
    Have all frets checked by your luthier.

In my case, it was a 1997 Affinity that had been kept in a shed in a very humid climate like Belgium, where it starts raining whenever people want to dry their clothes outside (except for this summer somehow, where we had monster temperatures for weeks and weeks :twisted:). My luthier had to reseat all the frets. I had replaced the tuners myself, and I installed a new Tusq nut (the original plastic was broken). I took the opportunity to change a lot more, and even found a nice set of saddles that sounded better than the originals.

It is a great guitar now, but also - contradictory for an Affinity - my most expensive one, even owing me more than any of my Fender guitars! :rolleyes: (due to all the luthier work, new pickups, new parts, a new switch, and so on...), but it is stunning, isn't it? :D (and because of all the changes, it feels just as perfect as the Fender Nashville Deluxe to me)

Squier Affinity Modified Nashville.jpg

PS: I buy all guitars second hand, and I'm always looking for a real bargain. I got a Fender JA-90 for 300 dollars!

10. manuelschicchi

Sep 16, 2018
    Toscana
    Nice guitar you have there!
    Yes the neck, frets and nut will be checked by the luthier who will do the job for me.
    In fact the kluson tuners are bigger diameter, but i am sure the guy will be able to do the job easily with the right tools (press drill and everything).
    I would really like to go for a vintage style 3 saddle bridge.. unless the luthier says it would be too messy.. maybe i'll look for a top loader a double loader

Thanks for the advices!!

Thanks for the

11. manuelschicchi

Sep 16, 2018
    Toscana

1 - The luthier has a good press drill, and i would really like to go for a vintage style 3 saddle bridge.. maybe just for the look, but since i got the guitar for free i'd like to try to make it fit my taste.. but i might try to find a top loader one, or a double loader.. any advice?
    2 - same thing.. i think the luthier will be able to do the right drill for the kluson.. it doesn't look like a big deal with a press drill..
    3,4,5 - neck, frets and nut will be checked by the luthier
    6 - Good advice. Thanks

12. hippychip

hippychip Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2015
    Florida
    Take one of the tuners out, and check to see if the Kluson bushings will fit the existing holes. Unless they were supplied with oversize bushings they will be too small.

13. manuelschicchi

Sep 16, 2018
    Toscana
    yeah.. i'm pretty sure the kluson bushings will be bigger than the holes..

14. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

As far as the bridge is concerned, I have put three saddle toploader bridges on the toploader Squier Affinity Tele.

You just have three screw holes showing, just behind the bridge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

manuelschicchi likes this.

15. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    I think that’s backwards, the Klusons will/should be smaller diameter compared to the stock tuners.

Vintage are usually 11/32 (8.7mm) and modern stock are usually 10mm.

There are “adapter bushings”, Gotoh branded are probably the best because they are longer and will keep the tuning peg centered better in the oversized hole. I picked up a set on eBay recently for less than $10 shipped.

16. manuelschicchi

Sep 16, 2018
    Toscana
    Ah!.. you are actually right!.. the holes are bigger! Thanks a lot for the advice!
    Do you know if the gotoh adapter bushings will fit the Kluson? ( i see they are ment to match gotoh SD90 and SD91 tuners..)

17. hippychip

hippychip Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2015
    Florida
    Get a matching set of modern tuners, and send the Klusons back---I have taken them apart, and they are just cheap tuners in a fancy case with skinny shafts and plastic knobs---I don't understand what the big deal is :(

18. manuelschicchi

Sep 16, 2018
    Toscana
    I can't send them back since i bought them a few months ago ( i just didn't have time to think about it for a while).. I see your advice makes sense though..Thanks!

19. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    The adapters are perfect.

A better "vintage" tuner are the Squier Classic Vibe vintage tuners. Narrow shaft and nice heavier metal than the Kluson branded.

Price for the Squier Classic Vibe tuners are in the $25 range.

I liked them on my Classic Vibe so much that I bought a set for my Partscaster.

20. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

Nov 23, 2016
    Boulder Creek, Ca

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.